• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swimming at API

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I have the dunker Monday. I'm already preparing for it by drinking heavily. It's 12 hour bottle to flight planning, right? Not bottle to dunker?

KBayDog

I always interpreted "bottle to ______" as from the time you open the bottle. ;)

Cans are not bottles. :D

themoreyouknow.jpg

scubasteve38

Anybody else here have trouble with treading and doing the prone float while they were at API? I'm one of those people that sinks like a rock even when I hold my breath, I was wondering if anybody could give advice on how they got through it if they are the same way.

Renegade One

None
I am a crappy swimmer and made it through. 72 minutes on the mile swim...thanks Navy, I feel safer!
The helo dunker makes it all worth the pain, it was by far the most fun I had in API.
Wow…thought the 72 minutes I "scored" in 1971 would maybe have been an enduring record...

As to your comment about the helo dunker…I have mixed emotions. Came to me later in life...

Unless that was sarcasm...you're a strange, strange mammal.

^^^ This...

I loved the helo dunker! ... I think it is the most valuable portion of our training.

You are one sick pup puppy...

Plus you only have to do it twice.

YGBSM!!!!!

If there's a big-ass opening in the side of the helo irl, I'm getting out!

Winner...

I have the dunker Monday. I'm already preparing for it by drinking heavily. It's 12 hour bottle to flight planning, right? Not bottle to dunker?

Pretty sure you'll do well...:)

OscarMyers

None
Anybody else here have trouble with treading and doing the prone float while they were at API? I'm one of those people that sinks like a rock even when I hold my breath, I was wondering if anybody could give advice on how they got through it if they are the same way.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I had a little trouble with the full gear tread and float. The pool staff is top notch and if you put in the effort, they will teach you and get you through the evolution's.

keithdsouza

I have a question if someone can answer please do

If someone fails the mile swimming at API. do they send him home or in other words is he separated from the navy ?

i did ask this question at another thread but I didn't mention a mile swim and didn't mention API so therefore people thought that I am asking about OCS swimming.

sickboy

pilot

If someone fails the mile swimming at API. do they send him home or in other words is he separated from the navy ?

i did ask this question at another thread but I didn't mention a mile swim and didn't mention API so therefore people thought that I am asking about OCS swimming.

Unless things have changed, you'll get another chance to do it. Or you'll get rolled and placed in remedial swim if you're really bad.

Tomodachi

pilot

They will keep you around for remedial training and keep swimming and swimming until you pass. The swim instructors told us its extremely rare for anyone to attrite because of the swimming.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If someone fails the mile swimming at API, do they send him home or in other words is he separated from the navy ?
If you would have asked that question 8 to 10 years ago, I'd say hell no and that if you attrited out of API, you'd go to some other navy community or GENAV. If you attrited now, who knows? Ultimately, it comes down to a numbers game for big Navy. If they need folks, you get to stay. If not, I guess you get a one way ticket back home. And I'm sure your commissioning source would come into play as well. This is all conjecture on my end as it really all depends on what the current trend is for others who find themselves in that boat.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You will not fail swimming. The staff there doesn't do anything but teach people to swim. I know one guy who spent 8 weeks on hold getting better in the pool.

You will not fail swimming...period.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Not likely that you'd fail the 1-mile swim after you've been in the pool the previous weeks, but if you do fail the swim, you'd be placed on swim hold until you passed it. No they wouldn't attrite you for swim fail....multiple swim failures, maybe....