• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim the PRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCSNW

Hey, I have been in BDCP since Sep 02 and was told last week that I may have to do the swim portion of the PRT before I go down to Pensacola next month.

An Ensign and a Processor are telling me I have to do the 500yd swim, but two recruiters are telling me just have to swim 50 yds to prove I didn't lie on my app. Either way we don’t have ready access to a pool.

Have any of you heard anything about this at all?

Thanks

tali264

I wasn't told about anything like that.

I'm leaving here in 2 weeks and not coming back, so I guess I'm not doing any swimming test.

JGalus

Why would they want you to do the swim? At OCS you are always going to be doing the run instead of the swim for the PFA anyways. Just as long as they know you can float, they shouldn't be worried about you doing the swim.

howlermonkey

I haven't heard about making you swim for BDCP. Running is the only portion included in the PRT. But I worked in G/T/X during my candi-o phase and it would always frustrate me when candidates would roll out of their class because they failed the swim quals. It just seemed like such an unnecessary reason to roll someone. People would spend weeks in G/T/X company, which was occasionally described as purgatory, because they couldn't swim from one side of the pool to the other. My advice would be, don't take the swimming for granted. The test is not that big, and if you pass and aren't an aviator, you don't have to do it again. But you don't want it to hold up your training. If you can swim, it's cake. But if you can't swim or aren't comfortable in the water, work on it as much as you can before you go, because working on it at OCS just means you get backed up to the next class or few.

Make sure you can swim from the shallow end to the deep end and back, be able to tread water for at least a minute in the deep end, be able to float on your face in the deep end for a minute or two (you can take breaths every five seconds or so), and learn the crawl/freestyle and elementary backstroke.

La Tech Aviator

I can score better on my swim prt than the run, my recruiter gave me the option to do the swim for my prt. He also said that you only have to be able to swim the 500m before you ship out. Also, I heard that while at OCS on Tuesdays and Thursdays all Aviation and SEAL canidates swim at the pool.

tali264

Originally posted by Patmack18
Biederman biederman biederman biederman.... God Reyes loved you! That was some of the best chow hall entertainment!
Oh come on.......you can't just say something like and not tell a story!!!!

Hudson

My recruter said I needed to do a swim test as well. 500 meeters with no time limit. The one part of the PFT I am actually looking forward to.

howlermonkey

swimming is not on the PFAs at OCS. I don't know why your recruiters are telling you this. I'd say do it anyway cause it won't hurt, but I was just there and it's not on the PFA. You'll need to be able to run the 1.5 mile so DO NOT opt out of it and swim instead. If you do both that's fine, but you WILL need to run.

I guess Patmack can tell you some stories....
HERE, SIR!!!!

OCSNW

Well, I am going to run the PRT tomorrow, then graduate on Friday and go to Ohio until I have to report to OCS in June (I am in Wisconsin now). They ended up telling me that I don’t have to swim the PRT simply because we don’t have access to a pool this week.

I am ready for the Level 3 swim test they give at OCS, but I don’t think I could get 500 yds right now. I am working on swimming though so I leave no doubt about “looking comfortable” during the swim test. I certainly don’t want held back for something like that, or at all for that matter.

fraz76

Guys
Look you still have to qualify to be a third class swimmer in the Navy. Its not hard but it can hold you up. So thats why some recruiter just want to make sure you can swim before you go. It not a big deal to take it as a PRT. But you need to ready for the third class swimmer test.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
I'm BDCP...my recruiter had me swim 50 meters sidestroke, 50m back stroke, and 50m breast stroke, then 350m (total of 500m) using any stroke I wanted. After that I had to swim 25m underwater.

Looks like different districts do things differently, and there's probably no national standard...
-A

Ummm...yeah

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
holy cow dunedan, are you trying out for the SEAL team? b/c when i was in nrotc, our swim test was only the lvl x tests, and never included 25m underwater swim (except for the lvl 1 swim, where they had to swim 25m underwater and do the aviator thing of spreading the "spilled oil on surface" movement.)

tali264

I got an e-mail from my recruiter saying that we all have to do the swim part of the PRT now. Apparently it was a regulation before, but our district didn't enforce it. I'm not sure if I have to do it since I'm in a different state now than where my recruiter is. But apparently those are the rules now.

Status
Not open for further replies.