• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim Hold

USFpilot06

pilot
Hey everyone, OK so here is the deal, I was suppose to class up tomorrow for API, but I took the PFA and swim screen today (was just able to get my up chit last week) so today was the earliest I could take it. Anyway, so the AM2 there said I needed to work on my breast stroke so he put me on swim hold and flight management pulled me out of MY API :icon_rage class and put me back in a-pool. So my question is how long does it take to get off of this swim hold and when (do you think) I could class up by? I mean I like this whole paid vacation thing but I'm gettin a little antsy too class up. Any insight would be great, anyone else in a similar situation? Thanks

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In the past, you stayed on the hold until the next scheduled test. If you pass it then, you move on to whatever next wicket you are up for. They have an AM2 doing swimming? Odd, must be a former crewman.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Dude, it's no big deal. Just show up for the extra practice sessions they have in the afternoons. It sucks and you won't want to do it. However, they'll teach you the proper technique so you don't goon it away when you get to the actual test. Trust me, it would be more embarrassing to have it happen to you during API then during a-pool. As a fellow swim rock, I know. I had to go to the extra sessions to tread water correctly. The pool was the most dreaded part of API for me. But, guess what? I treaded the water, graduated, and got my wings. Just look at is as yet another hurdle. One of many. And as for the paid vacation thing. An extra week won't hurt you. Just have another Irish Wake at Maguire's and know that once you get to the middle of Primary, these days will be the nostalgic ones. Good luck.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sorry, should have been more clear. I was referring to the pre-api check. Things may have changed (it's been a while), but that's what happened a few years ago.

USFpilot06

pilot
Dude, it's no big deal. Just show up for the extra practice sessions they have in the afternoons. It sucks and you won't want to do it. However, they'll teach you the proper technique so you don't goon it away when you get to the actual test. Trust me, it would be more embarrassing to have it happen to you during API then during a-pool. As a fellow swim rock, I know. I had to go to the extra sessions to tread water correctly. The pool was the most dreaded part of API for me. But, guess what? I treaded the water, graduated, and got my wings. Just look at is as yet another hurdle. One of many. And as for the paid vacation thing. An extra week won't hurt you. Just have another Irish Wake at Maguire's and know that once you get to the middle of Primary, these days will be the nostalgic ones. Good luck.

Awesome! Thats the kinda modivation I'm talkin about! No really thats just want I needed to hear. I was a pretty pissed this morning being so close to classing up and all. I have been here for only 6 weeks so I guess I can't complain considering the SNFOs are waiting like 8 months! Anyway thanks for the insight guys totaly appreciate it.

Gatorev: How do you like the HSL community? I flew a 60B last summer and loved it! I think that might be the community that I wanna shoot for.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Gatorev: How do you like the HSL community? I flew a 60B last summer and loved it! I think that might be the community that I wanna shoot for.

I'm not Gator, but I just started the HSL East RAG and enjoy it so far. I've had 5 flights in the B and love it. Granted I don't have anywhere near the experience that Gator or MasterBates have in HSL, so I can't really comment on the community. But its what I wanted out of HTs and I'm glad I got it. I'll let one of them answer your question better, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

MasterBates

Do you want to be CO someday, or is the type of flying more important to you? It will change some with HSM coming up, but right now, chances for command for a LAMPS pilot is 40% of HS's chances. (Number of JOs, versus 2 O-5s in the squadron)

LAMPS has in its Favor:
Small Boy. You MAY hit better ports than your CV bretheren, and BALTOPS and SNGM/SNFL cruises and CD OPS are not available to HS normally.

Good DH screen Rate.

LARGE Wardroom. Collateral duties are not bad, as long as all the Dets are not out at once.

LAMPS not so hot things:
Small Boy. You live with SHOES. They outnumber you.

Everybody thinks they own you. Ship, CAG, Surface Commander, etc

Command "Pyramid" for LAMPS is a Trapeziod with a flagpole.

LARGE wardroom. There are people who have been in my squadron for over a year I still have not met.

Hard to get #1/#2 LT (which you may need for orders you want out of here)

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Awesome! Thats the kinda modivation I'm talkin about! No really thats just want I needed to hear. I was a pretty pissed this morning being so close to classing up and all. I have been here for only 6 weeks so I guess I can't complain considering the SNFOs are waiting like 8 months! Anyway thanks for the insight guys totaly appreciate it.

I had 2 buddies who got put on swim hold for the same exact stroke. You pretty much swim whenever they have remedial swim, which I think is everyday but Friday. Once they are confident you can perform the breast stroke correctly, you'll class up almost immediately. Dont worry about it too much. And yea, I was once of those SNFOs who waited 8 months to class up. It was a bittersweet to say the least. I also had remedial swim because I had problems treading in full flight gear. Anyways, just keep your head up and you'll make it through :) .