• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swapping out aircrews/personnel with aircraft remaining deployed...and ships

hscs

pilot
Does anyone know about the maintenance facilities -- I thought I had read that there was no ability to do phase maintenance (or other major maintenance)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Does anyone know about the maintenance facilities -- I thought I had read that there was no ability to do phase maintenance (or other major maintenance)

I know the mx spaces were supposed to fit in a conex "mission module". we had one in our hangar for a bit and we were supporting an a/c out of it.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Groups or not, I don't know how they will be able to effectively operate in the littorals when all they have is some helos/UAV's, a 57mm pop gun a a few RAM missiles. When I think of littorals the Middle East and Asia come to mind, and that giant swath of the world is populated with all manner of anti-ship missiles (which even terrorist groups now have), fast attack craft and some fighters jets thrown in for good measure.

I have no idea how a ship like the LCS is supposed to operate, much less survive, in that kind of enviroment with weapons (except for the aircraft) that can't hit anything much beyond a few miles. Last time I checked, the RAM was a last ditch defense weapon and the 57mm gun, well.......I guess we don't have to worry about Boghammers any more. We have come full circle, it can't hit anything beyond the horizon by itself. It'll make a great missile sponge.

Just because you have the LCS going into the littorals, doesn't mean you won't have a CSG or SAG off shore. And while they might not stand up well to an organized military effort <masses of C-802s, etc>, that probably wouldn't be what they are used for. For those lucrative targets we can use the conventional forces.

Wouldn't the LCS provide a more effective (economical?) platform for hunting pirates off Somalia than say.... an amphib or DDG? I would think that if employed properly the LCS could provide an asset.

And just so you don't get any ideas, I'm not an LCS fan. I'm a big fan of CVBGs... but we're not in the 80's...

BigRed389

None
Groups or not, I don't know how they will be able to effectively operate in the littorals when all they have is some helos/UAV's, a 57mm pop gun a a few RAM missiles. When I think of littorals the Middle East and Asia come to mind, and that giant swath of the world is populated with all manner of anti-ship missiles (which even terrorist groups now have), fast attack craft and some fighters jets thrown in for good measure.

I have no idea how a ship like the LCS is supposed to operate, much less survive, in that kind of enviroment with weapons (except for the aircraft) that can't hit anything much beyond a few miles. Last time I checked, the RAM was a last ditch defense weapon and the 57mm gun, well.......I guess we don't have to worry about Boghammers any more. We have come full circle, it can't hit anything beyond the horizon by itself. It'll make a great missile sponge.

If you think that's bad, why do we send FFGs over there?

Those things are slow, relatively defenseless(3 in popgun and CIWS), old as hell, and not remotely built for stealth. I'm not even sure they've all got Nixie and they sure as hell don't have Nulka.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
If you think that's bad, why do we send FFGs over there?

Those things are slow, relatively defenseless(3 in popgun and CIWS), old as hell, and not remotely built for stealth. I'm not even sure they've all got Nixie and they sure as hell don't have Nulka.

Lack of anything better.

Lawman

None
Ok now were gonna be starting a new thread out of a thread that started to avoid jacking an old thread.... but....

With all this talk of LCS operating in groups, what is the plan if cost overruns continue and the Navy doesnt get anywhere near the numbers it planned on.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Ok now were gonna be starting a new thread out of a thread that started to avoid jacking an old thread.... but....

With all this talk of LCS operating in groups, what is the plan if cost overruns continue and the Navy doesnt get anywhere near the numbers it planned on.

dvic070.jpg

tes862001.jpg

ah-60_battlehawk.jpg

We can dream, right?