• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Surface warship question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

Ens. Wilkins, I've always wondered about the different classes of ships, my interest in the SWO world is growing so I thought I'd ask. Cruisers, destroyers and frigates... what are the real differences, besides size, technically speaking? If you have an AEGIS destroyer with this abilty to detect, track and kill a couple dozen of anything around...why buy/build a cruiser? Do frigates have AEGIS, or similiar systems? If not, why bother keeping them around?

Also, how's the surface warrior page coming?

D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, here's what I've found out. My experience is very limited in the SWO area being that I've only been through SWO school and now I'm on leave waiting to go to the boat.

Let me first briefly go through the missions of the different types of ships. The aircraft carrier is the center of the battlegroup. The commanding officer being a senior airdale captain and possibly having the battlegroup commander (Rear admiral) onbaoard. From the way I understand it and how we are taught at SWOS, the carrier is the center of attention and everything revolves around what they are doing.

The cruiser with it's AEGIS capability has the primary mission to detect, track, and classify hundreds of potential targets in the air. They can also provide an undersea warfare capability using the sonar, towed array, or the SH-60B Lamps III helicopter. There are typically two of these helicopters embarked on the deployment. Additionally, the cruiser can provide the capabilities of surface warfare and land attacks using Tomahawks or naval gunfire support using the two 5 inch / 54 cal gunmounts.

The destroyer (DD) has the primary mission of providing undersea warfare. However, it can provide the surface warfare capability and land attacks using Tomahawks as well. The air warfare capability is really only used on the DDG's (guided missile destroyer). The difference between the DD and DDG is that the DDG has the AEGIS capability. I know for a fact that they are still building DDG's. I do not believe they are building cruisers anymore. They are simply updating the current cruisers we have in inventory.

The frigate is a rather old ship and I'm sure it will be going away in the near future. It provides air warfare, but has nowhere near the capability that a cruiser or DDG has. The frigate does not have the AEGIS capability. They utilize the old school radar type that goes roundy roundy. This in contrast to the AEGIS SPY-1 radar (on the cruisers and DDG's) that has no moving parts. It is electronically steered using phased arrays.

Amphibious ships usually deal with the Amphibious ready group. This is similiar to the carrier battle group, but has some differences. Mainly, these are the type of ships that go out with them.

As far as the cruiser, destoyers, and frigates, many of their missions/capability overlap. This is good because it provides redundancy out there. In addition, just because a ship gets a little older than the current technology doesn't mean we should get rid of them. Their very presence around the world does help to keep the peace. Recall that one of the missions of the navy is power projection. This is one way we do it.

The probably the best answer I can give you at this time. When I do get out to the ship here in about a month, we will be halfway through a 6 month drug operations deployment in the Carribean. This means that we will not be operating with the carrier battlegroup. This is perfectly ok with me, since I don't really want to be doing any DIVTACS (formation steaming). It'll be just the crew, the ship, the clear blue water of the Carribean and maybe some drug smugglers who wish to take us on.

I hope this answers your questions. Of course, if it causes you to come up with more, then all the better.

Best regards,

ps: I have only had two or three requests for a surface warfare page, so I'm really up in the air about doing one.

Edited by - Steve Wilkins on 24 May 2000

Airboss2B

quote:
ps: I have only had two or three requests for a surface warfare page, so I'm really up in the air about doing one.

I think there is enough of us out here who would be interested in a Surface Warfare page. A sister site would be better. I wouldn't think to look for information on SWO on an Aviation site. I found this site by chance after a long search on info about OCS. There are not any good sites out there about SWO (that I've seen so far). Nothing even comes close to what you guys have going on here in Airwarriors.

Yes, please give us a SWO page!

ASUPilot

Yeah, I agree...a SWO site would be cool. I think that there is so much misinformation out there about the SWO community. It's almost like if you're not flying you're not cool. Well, that is obviously not the case, but I heard when I was down in Pcola a few weeks ago that the SWO community is really hurting for people. I SWO site might help people who don't get selected for pilot decide whether or not the continue on into the Navy. For me, it's flying or nothing. But while I was in Pcola I met a lot of guys who really didn't care if they didn't get pilot. They just wanted to be in the Navy and serve as an Officer. I personally feel that SWO's have a pretty tough/interesting job, and a site dedicated to it might just help someone decide whether or not to do it. If I didn't have that damn aviation thing in my system, well, I would have gone to my 5 August OCS class and been through most of the initial BS by now.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ASU and Airboss,

Right now Steve is out to sea, and I have been forwarding the Forum posts that were directed to him. Also, Steve has sent me a bunch of great pictures that he has taken on deployment, and he is putting together a short article on his adventures/exploits! . As soon as I get it from him, I will throw it up on the website.

quote:
Hey John,

Tell them to stand by. I really can't post a whole lot from here, even if I do send it to you first. I guess just let em know I'll be back in less than a month and then they can ask away.

Talk to you later.

--Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.