• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Supply LORs/Interview ?'s

NavyBrat2015

So, I recently managed to pass through MEPS without any problems. I met with my recruiter face to face and discussed my kit and what I could do to strengthen it for Supply. I asked about interviews and he stated that those were mainly for reserves? He said that if I could get a LOR from an O-4 and above that it would really help.

I managed to schedule an "interview" with an O-4 and O-6 Supply Officer. What should I do in preparation for these two interviews? I have been researching as much as I could and I am trying to develop a few good questions to ask. Any other advice? Also, he stated that my main goal should be to get a LOR from both of these two interviews using the DD 370 form. When I was searching on here, I believe I found a thread that said this is the form I should use.

Also, when trying to find a Supply Officer to set up an interview with I met someone who knows a W-4 Supply Officer in the Coast Guard. Would it be worth it to try and get a LOR from him as well or should I stick with the two Navy Supply Officers?

Thanks,

exNavyOffRec

Stick with the 2 you have, and unless these officers were prepped you could be stepping into something you don't want to, I have seen officers that understood what their role in the interviews were and those that weren't, you should be asked about your goals, your background, what you would add to the USN and what the USN would do for you or something along those lines. The ones that weren't prepped as to what the interview were expected the person being interviewed to know how a supply department worked, the structure, the standard flow, and what everyone's job was.

your GPA is great if you aren't picked it is not because of your academics and if you aren't picked it is probably for something an interview wouldn't overcome.

jakejake527

I'm surprised you got two of your professors to write an LOR for you.

I asked my Management Leadership professor (I was top of the class) for an LOR and was denied. She didn't think she knew me enough outside of school nor my work ethic and trustworthiness etc...

NavyOffRec: Do LOR from professors actually help in being selected by the board?

exNavyOffRec

I asked my Management Leadership professor (I was top of the class) for an LOR and was denied. She didn't think she knew me enough outside of school nor my work ethic and trustworthiness etc...

NavyOffRec: Do LOR from professors actually help in being selected by the board?

well, it depends. There are many schools where graduate assistants teach the classes so the actual professors don't know you from Adam, a good LOR from a professor just like any other LOR will be able to describe about the work you did and any other qualities they directly observed you doing.

What I liked about professor LOR's is in most cases they were written very well and talked directly about what the person did.

If one of my applicants was able to get a good LOR from a professor I had them do it, the ones that did were more often than not selected, but then again how many people that are average students are going to stand out to a professor?

I think you professor just didn't want to write one, you graduated at the top of the class, so you must know how to time manage, have a good work ethic as you submitted excellent work, be able to write well, etc..... so she could have written one for you maybe she is not pro military?

jakejake527

well, it depends. There are many schools where graduate assistants teach the classes so the actual professors don't know you from Adam, a good LOR from a professor just like any other LOR will be able to describe about the work you did and any other qualities they directly observed you doing.

What I liked about professor LOR's is in most cases they were written very well and talked directly about what the person did.

If one of my applicants was able to get a good LOR from a professor I had them do it, the ones that did were more often than not selected, but then again how many people that are average students are going to stand out to a professor?

I think you professor just didn't want to write one, you graduated at the top of the class, so you must know how to time manage, have a good work ethic as you submitted excellent work, be able to write well, etc..... so she could have written one for you maybe she is not pro military?

I was very disappointed in my professor.

It was the same professor that asked me personally (along with one other former student) to write an essay for her dosier to be submitted in order to be elected as professor of the year at my school. She eventually won the award.

NavyBrat2015

Yeah, I was also turned down before I had two professors agree to write me a LOR. My physics professor wrote me a great LOR stating that I'd be better suited at Harvard.

My accounting professor wrote me a decent LOR. Keep in mind that I was at the top of my class in every course I attended. When I did ask for a LOR, I wrote a few paragraphs outlining why I selected the professor for the LOR, what I was applying for, asking if they could write a strong letter or recommendation, and letting them know I understood if they were not able to there busy schedules. I also stated that I would send them my current resume and any other information they needed. One professor wanted a statement of my goals, I wrote about four paragraphs outlining my short and longterm goals.

Sorry if this isn't written well, I am on my cell phone.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
When it comes to professional interviews, treat applying for the Supply Corps like you would applying for any other civilian position. Do the research on the community including the Supply Corps School. You're not expected to be a Supply Officer SME, but at least have a decent understanding on what they do and what the pipeline is. Come with questions, the interviews aren't meant to be one-sided.

NavyBrat2015

When it comes to professional interviews, treat applying for the Supply Corps like you would applying for any other civilian position. Do the research on the community including the Supply Corps School. You're not expected to be a Supply Officer SME, but at least have a decent understanding on what they do and what the pipeline is. Come with questions, the interviews aren't meant to be one-sided.

Thank you for the advice. I am doing my best to reseaech about the Supply Corps and come up with some solid questions to ask. I hope that I will be able to receive an endorsement from the O-4 and O-6.

I have to overcome some stuff others do not which worries me the most I.e. MIP for alcohol, juvenile probation for a fight. I am doing my best to create the strongest kit possible.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah, I was also turned down before I had two professors agree to write me a LOR. My physics professor wrote me a great LOR stating that I'd be better suited at Harvard.

My accounting professor wrote me a decent LOR. Keep in mind that I was at the top of my class in every course I attended. When I did ask for a LOR, I wrote a few paragraphs outlining why I selected the professor for the LOR, what I was applying for, asking if they could write a strong letter or recommendation, and letting them know I understood if they were not able to there busy schedules. I also stated that I would send them my current resume and any other information they needed. One professor wanted a statement of my goals, I wrote about four paragraphs outlining my short and longterm goals.

Sorry if this isn't written well, I am on my cell phone.

That reminds me of a wonderful LOR one of my guys rec'd from a professor, this kid had done great in school, and the LOR said he was a leader in the class, excellent student, etc... just glowing then the last sentence included the following "having known XXXX for several classes it will be interesting to see if he will be able to adapt to a military environment"

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the advice. I am doing my best to reseaech about the Supply Corps and come up with some solid questions to ask. I hope that I will be able to receive an endorsement from the O-4 and O-6.

I have to overcome some stuff others do not which worries me the most I.e. MIP for alcohol, juvenile probation for a fight. I am doing my best to create the strongest kit possible.

If you exclude the MIP and probation I think your application would be great, while Supply can afford to be very picky I think if you also go for SWO (say as 2nd pick) you will end up being selected for something.

exNavyOffRec

+1 and understand supply covers many aspects, you could be doing fiance as a disbursing officer or in the depths of a ship taking care of a storeroom.

They say that SWO's eat their own, but from what I saw in 20+ years is that SWO's take out that frustration on Supply officers :)

NavyBrat2015

If you exclude the MIP and probation I think your application would be great, while Supply can afford to be very picky I think if you also go for SWO (say as 2nd pick) you will end up being selected for something.

Yeah, I dislike the "would be great" in that sentence. I know I have to overcome these issues. I can only hope that the board will overlook these and look at what I have accomplished in the last few years.

Supply is really what I want to do, I have not decided if I will put it down the first time around. Many have said NO, do not pick SWO, but then some people have said to put SWO down because of the acceptance rate. I want to do what I will be best in for the Navy and something that I would like to do. This would lead me to just selecting Supply. I still have not made a decision just yet and it all depends on this next Supply board.

jakejake527

Yeah, I dislike the "would be great" in that sentence. I know I have to overcome these issues. I can only hope that the board will overlook these and look at what I have accomplished in the last few years.

Supply is really what I want to do, I have not decided if I will put it down the first time around. Many have said NO, do not pick SWO, but then some people have said to put SWO down because of the acceptance rate. I want to do what I will be best in for the Navy and something that I would like to do. This would lead me to just selecting Supply. I still have not made a decision just yet and it all depends on this next Supply board.
why not try and re take your OAR? 51 is very average- right in the middle of the bell curve. Doesn't really match someone with a 4.0 GPA. Higher OAR will help. Some recruiters won't even let some candidates turn in a package with an OAR of <50

NavyBrat2015

why not try and re take your OAR? 51 is very average- right in the middle of the bell curve. Doesn't really match someone with a 4.0 GPA. Higher OAR will help. Some recruiters won't even let some candidates turn in a package with an OAR of <50

Yeah, if I am not picked up on this next board I will probably retake the OAR. I didn't study for it the first time around. Working fulltime and going to school fulltime doesn't leave me much time.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

A bell curve average score of the OAR exam is around a 45, so a 51 is fairly solid. I would hold off retaking the exam and not risk getting a lower score for now. The OAR score is not weighted as heavily for supply boards than it would with SWOS or Aviation. Supply is truly a "whole person concept" board.

We just had a kid with a 3.04 GPA and 52 OAR score get picked up for the Nov Supply Board. Biology major.