• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Superhornets in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farkle84

already in the fleet. i am from lemoore and the navy base out there has a couple of squadrons of them. eventually they are going to be mulirole. they will for the navy do what the ea-6b does, attack and air.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The first deployment of F/A-18E Super Hornets aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln has already occured (and currently still deployed). The F/A-18F squadrons are standing up now and should deploy in the close future (expected to replace F-14 Squadrons). Have a look at http://www.news.navy.mil
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

JoeAE2005

How far into this century do you think these superhornets will stay in the Navy? 20 more years? Also, when does the Navy start getting F-35s, and which aircraft are they suppose to replace? Thanks for the replies already!

-Joe

Dave Shutter

I don't know the planned date but I think F-35's will start manning up in about another ten years if not sooner. Versions will be A: vanilla model, replacing USAF F-16's. B: STOVL capable replacing USMC and UK AV-8 Harriers, and C: Carrier capable replacing Navy Hornet C's. Remember, the carrier version will need more than just a tailhook but folding wings, heavier landing gear and a re-inforced airframe. That's what I've read anyway.

Anybody hear anything about the gun? 27mm Mauser chain gun is supposed to be the next big thing. All I ever read about was that Boeing's was modular, along with the parts that made it go either supersonic or STOVL, but never on the same flight. No wonder it lost.

Any info on the F-35's gun setup? A full time gun would be nice.

Hudson

I thought I read that the A will have an intergrated gun system but the B and C will not. They will have to be fitted in pods.

Phiman

ea6bflyr- Quick question, seeing as SNA is getting tighter and tighter I'm doing a little research on SNFO and I was wondering. 1) Are the Prowlers staying in service or are they being phased out in favor of the F-18 Growler (or is that just bad gouge)? 2) How hard is it to redesig inside the NFO community, i.e. S-3 to F-18F or EA-6B? Thank you.
V/R
Phiman

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, right now Pilots are manned at 110% and NFO's at 140%. So, you have a better chance at picking up pilot slot than an NFO slot. The Prowler is supposed to be around until approximately 2014 (or so) and the follow-on aircraft has not been identified yet. But I am sure that the EF/A-18G 'Growler' would be one type of replacement (if Boeing has their way). The Military is also looking at an f-35 variant. The Navy has redesigation boards all the time NFO->Pilot and NFO platform changes. Is it hard, not really, but it is competitive. Good luck in what ever you decide....
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Phiman
ea6bflyr- Quick question, seeing as SNA is getting tighter and tighter I'm doing a little research on SNFO and I was wondering. 1) Are the Prowlers staying in service or are they being phased out in favor of the F-18 Growler (or is that just bad gouge)? 2) How hard is it to redesig inside the NFO community, i.e. S-3 to F-18F or EA-6B? Thank you.
V/R
Phiman

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Originally posted by Dave Shutter
I don't know the planned date but I think F-35's will start manning up in about another ten years if not sooner. Versions will be A: vanilla model, replacing USAF F-16's. B: STOVL capable replacing USMC and UK AV-8 Harriers, and C: Carrier capable replacing Navy Hornet C's. Remember, the carrier version will need more than just a tailhook but folding wings, heavier landing gear and a re-inforced airframe. That's what I've read anyway.

Anybody hear anything about the gun? 27mm Mauser chain gun is supposed to be the next big thing. All I ever read about was that Boeing's was modular, along with the parts that made it go either supersonic or STOVL, but never on the same flight. No wonder it lost.

Any info on the F-35's gun setup? A full time gun would be nice.

whats interesting about the F-35 variations is that even though the USMC version will be equipped with vectored thrust for vert takeoff and landings, that the Navy version still comes in as the most expensive to build of the three.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know they have to BEEF UP the landing gear and tailhook so the Navy versions can take the abuse of landing on decks-o-steel.
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
not just that, the whole body frame in general. You ever see pictures of the retired F-16N's that they tried out for the Navy. THey all got pressure fractures way too early and had to be retired to the bone yard.

Thats one of the things that turned me towards the Navy when I was so young. Their pilots are the toughest as well as the best, and their Jets are the toughest.

But still. Vectored thrust is a somewhat complicated thing. I would think that it would be rather expensive to incorporate into the aircraft.

jrklr

I heard from a Marine that the F-15 has a tailhook for an emergency one time use situation, anyone else hear about this?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
All military fighters have tailhooks, but it's not for carrier landings. The end of military runways have arrestor gear, usually cables attached to heavy chains. This is in case the aircraft can't stop at the end of the runway. If the F-15 tried to land on a carrier, it would fall apart.

Rainman

pilot
Let's not call them Navy and Marine versions just yet; since at last count USMC is buying 1/3 'C' models and 2/3 'B' models.

I'm sure the numbers (as well as Marine role in carrier aviation) will depend on subsequent SECNAVs, etc. . .

SF

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
The F-16N's were retired early due to stress fractures, but not because they were landing on carriers. The F-16N's were only used as aggressors. They were stripped down C's that were much lighter. The reason for the early retirement was that they were only used in an air to air mission. They never were used in air to mud roles, which is less stressful on the airframes. The Air Force rotates their inventory in between air to air and air to ground. The Navy only wanted to yank and bank with the N's. The light weight airframes with the big motors led to alot of high G hours being put on the airframes. So.... they started having stress fracture problems.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.