• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Super Hornet in Pensacola

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's not blow this out of proportion. I think the rules and guidelines we use here on AW WRT talking about mishaps are in place for very good reasons and should be adhered to. That said, this is not a class A with injuries or fatalities involved. The aircrew are going to answer for what they did, whether they did everything by the book or not. What we may or may not discuss or speculate about here isn't going to have any bearing on that, so I think it's appropriate to relax a bit and have a frank discussion about the event and some of the details which "appear" to have been at work.

Brett

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Mefesto said:
Hornet tire speeds: Mains 190 Nose 210
Tailwind limit? Dunno

you got it backwards bro, 210 knots for the mains, 190 for the nose ... at least for the old school Hornet (A-D)

generically speaking, landing long on a shorter runway with a stiff tailwind could possibly lead to blown tires. i personally would not land with more than a 10 knot tailwind in the hornet unless i was very light or i had to.

S/F

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As of 11am Central today the 14th, its still on the runway, with both main gear in the dirt, also the right horiz stab plowed up some earth. Was not able to get close enough to see any other damage.

Is this why NPA has been not accepting any approaches and been operating at "Single Runway Ops," whatever that means? Man that's been annoying. We might as well have no approaches in the PNS area lately, they're all "down."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this why NPA has been not accepting any approaches and been operating at "Single Runway Ops," whatever that means? Man that's been annoying. We might as well have no approaches in the PNS area lately, they're all "down."

What about Mobile or Eglin?

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No GCA in Mobile or Eglin (maybe an ASR), and all the GCA stuff was down at home. Then all the precision stuff went down at NDZ but the PAR came up. However, no ASR. Just more weirdness. We didn't have a Tacan at NSE for a month and the PAR would routinely go down. Fun stuff.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
Mefesto said:
Um... not to sound sarcastic, but you think you can only engage NWS with anti-skid off? That would make for some wild landings!

Yes... NWS is engaged all the time. Hi-gain when you hold the button. With the wings unlocked you can click hi gain on all the time. With the launch bar down, you only get low gain with the NWS button held down. I think that's right...

First: You always sound sarcastic. :icon_wink

Second: Your comment about the skid switch reminded me about one of my Harrier pet-peeves: we can't actuate the "Hi Gain" (we have high and low, low is always hot) NWS without turning the anti-skid switch off, which gives you many more opportunities to fvck it away and blow your tires if you had to do some tight turning and forgot to switch back.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None

Yup.. that was the reason. The inboard runway (25L/7R) was closed for a few days... That's usually runway that they land VFR traffic on. So no low approaches/touch and goes.

Should be back up now.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
First: You always sound sarcastic. :icon_wink

Second: Your comment about the skid switch reminded me about one of my Harrier pet-peeves: we can't actuate the "Hi Gain" (we have high and low, low is always hot) NWS without turning the anti-skid switch off, which gives you many more opportunities to fvck it away and blow your tires if you had to do some tight turning and forgot to switch back.

That's wierd. Have to do with your screwy tandem gear or something? NWS will work with anti-skid off or on.

Nose tire speed on the Rhino is 195.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
I know it's weird, and it's a pain in the a$$. It's not because of the wing gear, but I can't explain the design beyond that. We have selectable NWS +/- 15 degrees, with the button on the stick, but have to move the anti-skid switch from "SKID" to "NWS" to get +/- 30degrees (I'm PCSing and don't have a NATOPS in front of me, but the numbers are about right). I think BAE/McDonnel Douglas incorporated this on behalf of Michelin/Dunlop to insure a steady demand for tires.

Creeping. Sorry.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Nose Wheel Steering. links the nose wheel to the rudder pedals so that it turns when you push on the pedal. Prevents damage to the nose wheel when off (i.e nose wheel not going into the well straight if you have to use rudder on takeoff) or in some aircraft, you can get a tighter turn when taxiing with the NWS off.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
NWS: Nose wheel steering
Antiskid: Anti-lock breaking. Essential with high performance aircraft to avoid blowing tires. And buying beer.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Semper,

Your signature... you didn't prehaps hear that flying around Pensacola, did you? I swear I've heard that before...

/sidebar