• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Super Hornet flies with most of wing gone!

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I'm hoping that emoticon is indicative of some SERIOUS sarcasm. Because somehow, I think the Israeli pilot was Jewish, so Jesus probably didn't give a shit.

Hey, just because they missed Him. Doesn't mean He neglects them ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Couple fuses would keep that from happening no?

If half of your wing gets ripped away, all bets are off. I don't know how the Hornet Hyd system is designed, but if one of the primary flight control actuators in my jet was taken out, all three hyd systems would be dry in a matter of seconds. Not a whole lot of options then.

Brett

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If half of your wing gets ripped away, all bets are off. I don't know how the Hornet Hyd system is designed, but if one of the primary flight control actuators in my jet was taken out, all three hyd systems would be dry in a matter of seconds. Not a whole lot of options then.

Brett
Don't you mean all two hyd systems, of which one is subdivided into two parts? Or is there just an ECHO in here?

glasses.gif

nugget61

pilot
This is yet another example of the STREAM of posts discussing strategy and technical piloting skills from people who AREN'T PILOTS! I've flown a T-34 in the military. That's why I don't post responses discussing the intricate flying involved in a broken jet.

I couldn't care less, but just sayin... ;)

While I'm not a military pilot, I'm no fool.
You get in a midair. You lose a wing and despite your best efforts, find yourself in uncontrolled flight. Whats the reaction that is instilled into military pilots? I do believe it's eject.

MasterBates

Hey "Ihavenoclue61", not every military aircraft HAS ejection seats. Like about 70% of the USN's inventory has no "magic seats". Cease the ass-talking immediately.

So yeah, being able to fly away in a VERY damaged aircraft is a good thing.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
You get in a midair. You lose a wing and despite your best efforts, find yourself in uncontrolled flight. Whats the reaction that is instilled into military pilots? I do believe it's eject.

Don't just look at it from the military view either. I'm a pilot..(single engine land 100 hrs :) )...but anyway I don't have the "magic seat" either, sheer luck and good airmanship is key..you can't just teach a guy to bail when a funny light goes off in the cockpit... check out this oldie but goodie.

Excellent CRM and excellent airmanship, the more I learn about Captain Haynes the more I am impressed to this day of what happened with United Flight 232... even this WIKI doesn't do it justice. BZ to ATC as well. There is a video floating around as well that does a good job on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
This could be a good direction for the super hornet. I'm willing to bet it would fly even better with both wings removed. With inflight jettisonable wings it could be the new F-104. Sign me up.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Excellent CRM and excellent airmanship, the more I learn about Captain Haynes the more I am impressed to this day of what happened with United Flight 232...

I met him during a CRM conference a few years ago. I don't think I've ever met a more competent, introspective, and humble pilot in my life. He had nothing but praise for his crew (including the dead-header who jumped in to control the throttles), and credited them for the relative success of the flight.

Super guy!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I met him during a CRM conference a few years ago. I don't think I've ever met a more competent, introspective, and humble pilot in my life. He had nothing but praise for his crew (including the dead-header who jumped in to control the throttles), and credited them for the relative success of the flight.

Super guy!

I think I may have seen him talk on that same tour. Agreed, and he was very interesting to listen to on top of that

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
It was just a text book way of how things should be done. In the Nav...is this one of the main case studies you guys do for CRM... the United 232 crash? To me, CRM IS United 232

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It was just a text book way of how things should be done. In the Nav...is this one of the main case studies you guys do for CRM... the United 232 crash? To me, CRM IS United 232

Well its mishaps like those (in addition to the ones which ended badly due to lack of CRM) that CREATED CRM in the airline industry and subsequently implanted into military aviation.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
The tech for the hornet might be hard to field though - it's totally hands off while the computer takes complete control from the pilot. I'm pretty sure that if I lost a wing and wasn't controlling the jet that I'd eject first, ask questions later

Ejecting isn't exactly the nice "get out of jail free card" it is sometimes advertised to be to those who don't fly planes with seats. It really is a last resort. Especially because many pilots hero mentality. One more bonus about having a sweet ECMO? "You'll probably have to make the decision about punching us out because I will be trying to save the day..."

but if one of the primary flight control actuators in my jet was taken out, all three hyd systems would be dry in a matter of seconds.

What about those incidents with the left flaperon (it's a spoileron, damnit!!!!!!!) actuator? They even landed....although not nearly as severe as losing a wing. I just felt the need to geek out.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech

That might depend on how friendly the people underneath you are. Sometime you have suppress that reaction.