• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Super Duper Hornet Walkaround

Flying Toaster

None
Interesting stuff, I wonder how much is already functional? I feel like a lot is just setup to demo like the SE, especially considering they only announced those mods a few months ago. It's undoubtedly classified, but I'd love to see how much the CFT's and internal weapons bay actually cut down on the radar signature.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Also think basic-engine cat launches w/ a combat load & 25% greater combat radius for AA & Air-to-Mud missions

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
OK with all these additions combined with what we already have (APG-79, 9X, etc...) Tell me why we need the F-35?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
with all the foreign military sales of the hornet...

...i've always wondered if it would be cost effective to have a non carrier-suitable version.
weight savings might (or might not) be significant.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read somewhere that Northrop tried that with the F-18L back in the 80s. No wingfold, lighter gear, etc. I guess they told customers they'd build when they bid. The customers told Northrop they'd bid when they built. Round and round and round they went, and the project died.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I read somewhere that Northrop tried that with the F-18L back in the 80s. No wingfold, lighter gear, etc. I guess they told customers they'd build when they bid. The customers told Northrop they'd bid when they built. Round and round and round they went, and the project died.

Politics and timing--go figure--because the F-18L was a hefty chunk lighter than the A and certainly looked like a good airplane on paper.

Did any of our resident AW elders work in that program?

Flying Toaster

None
...i've always wondered if it would be cost effective to have a non carrier-suitable version.

Interesting question. Theoretically-

img_298_13391_2

img_298_13391_0

jmcquate

Contributor

Did AF F-4s, A-7s have the same gears, wingfolds, arresting hooks, launch bars (A-7) as thier Navy counterparts?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Did AF F-4s, A-7s have the same gears, wingfolds, arresting hooks, launch bars (A-7) as thier Navy counterparts?

My uncle flew F-4s and said that everything was pretty much the same. I believe that they either welded or bolted the arresting hook to the airframe.