• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer weight vs Winter weight NOMEX

Pags

N/A
pilot
Got one of those, the tags are still on it, haven't had a chance to wear it yet. Though I wonder, mine is tan, is it even legal in the states now?
Uniform regs only said green flight suits. Nothing about tan jackets. Now your front office might see things differently...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So this is a bit random, but did anyone know that the G-1 is actually authorized for flight? I've always been told that it's not, but per NAVAIR 13-1-6.7-1 (through change 10 anyway) it is authorized for the C-2 and many other aircraft.

Since my jacket is on order (the winter weight), I'm also trying to get my gear in order. Due to a shortage of knives, I'm going to buy one "out in town" to have put on my vest so that I can finally use MY vest as opposed to the loaners. That's right, the knife is the one thing keeping the PRs from making the vest SFF. What I can't seem to figure out is where the State of the Art Survival Items (SOASI) list that's published yearly by PMA-202 is located. I can't seem to get onto their (PMA 202) website either. Is anyone else having this difficulty? If not, where are you going to view the list?

Thanks for the help, gents.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got one of those, the tags are still on it, haven't had a chance to wear it yet. Though I wonder, mine is tan, is it even legal in the states now?

How can it not be legal in the US for flying duties? I get that Big Navy doesn't want the tan flightsuit in CONUS but technically it is a piece of survival gear. Therefore, if the Massif is authorized by NAVAIR (for flying) how can Big Navy take that away, since NAVAIR is the custodian for survival gear? That's my logic anyway.

MasterBates

Not sure on the legality, but I've flown the E-2, SH-60B, T-44, and C-130 wearing my leather jacket. Makes the torso harness in the hummer tight as shit, but no more so than the winter weight.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Winter weight is definitely very warm. Got me through a flight deck tour and a tour to Korea during the winter. Suggest you procure one if you can.

Pags

N/A
pilot
So this is a bit random, but did anyone know that the G-1 is actually authorized for flight? I've always been told that it's not, but per NAVAIR 13-1-6.7-1 (through change 10 anyway) it is authorized for the C-2 and many other aircraft.

Since my jacket is on order (the winter weight), I'm also trying to get my gear in order. Due to a shortage of knives, I'm going to buy one "out in town" to have put on my vest so that I can finally use MY vest as opposed to the loaners. That's right, the knife is the one thing keeping the PRs from making the vest SFF. What I can't seem to figure out is where the State of the Art Survival Items (SOASI) list that's published yearly by PMA-202 is located. I can't seem to get onto their (PMA 202) website either. Is anyone else having this difficulty? If not, where are you going to view the list?

Thanks for the help, gents.
The G-1 being verboten for flying was something that started in the VTs and trickled out in to the fleet from there. The only place I ever saw it officially forbidden was in the VT SOP, after that people just remember that and never looked up the actual answer.

I've flown in my leather jacket on numerous occasions.

Renegade One

None
So this is a bit random, but did anyone know that the G-1 is actually authorized for flight?
You mean like this?
jerry_coleman_2.jpg
LtCol Jerry Coleman, USMCR, the only major league baseball player to have flown combat in two wars...shown here as a Corsair pilot with the "Death Rattlers" of (then) VMA-232 in Korea. Jerry is now "The Voice" of the San Diego Padres..."Oh, Doctor! You can hang a star on that one!"

Attachments

• jerry_coleman_2.jpg
    jerry_coleman_2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 5

Renegade One

None
Due to a shortage of knives, I'm going to buy one "out in town" to have put on my vest so that I can finally use MY vest as opposed to the loaners. That's right, the knife is the one thing keeping the PRs from making the vest SFF. What I can't seem to figure out is where the State of the Art Survival Items (SOASI) list that's published yearly by PMA-202 is located.
MAY just be me...but I think you're over thinking this. Whatever the "issue" knife in the Supply System is...probably good enough for your immediate needs. Just ask the PRs (if that's what they're still called...) and I know it's avail on-line from hundreds of sources. Then you can do the "sporting life" upgrade at your leisure.
I don't mean to diminish the subject matter at all...the only guy I ever heard of who truly needed it was the pilot I ejected with...so I ain't shitting you when I say i understand it's a serious subject in the long run. I just always flew with the standard thingie I was issued in AOCS...and never had to pull it out. Like this:
http://www.armynavysales.com/products/usaf-pilot-survival-knife/

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If you're trying to cut butter, that knife works fine, provided the butter is warm enough.

I doubt that .02% of Naval Aviation has used that knife for anything more exciting than cutting IPs off their new flight suit.

robav8r

None
Contributor
What I can't seem to figure out is where the State of the Art Survival Items (SOASI) list that's published yearly by PMA-202 is located. I can't seem to get onto their (PMA 202) website either. Is anyone else having this difficulty?
Kmac - send me a PM, I can get the list for you.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've used the pocket knife (not the giant rambo one) in my vest in the P-3 to cut off tops of water bottles. I'm happy I won't have to do this in the P-8.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot

I'll take it if you don't want it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
MAY just be me...but I think you're over thinking this. Whatever the "issue" knife in the Supply System is...probably good enough for your immediate needs. Just ask the PRs (if that's what they're still called...) and I know it's avail on-line from hundreds of sources. Then you can do the "sporting life" upgrade at your leisure.
I don't mean to diminish the subject matter at all...the only guy I ever heard of who truly needed it was the pilot I ejected with...so I ain't shitting you when I say i understand it's a serious subject in the long run. I just always flew with the standard thingie I was issued in AOCS...and never had to pull it out. Like this:
http://www.armynavysales.com/products/usaf-pilot-survival-knife/

If all he had to do was ask the PRs for a knife, I'm sure his vest would be up. I'm not sure if the Navy Butter Knife is even available in the supply system any more. Often times you'll find one in a drawer in a random desk, though. If the PRs are ordering something online, they can order any of the many other, better knives through open purchase or DoD EMall... Or skip all that and order through the specialized distributors (one of which you can use a MILSTRIP with, whose name I'm forgetting but everyone probably knows the blond rep).

For informational purposes... The fixed-blade knife is no longer required, only some sort of cutting device. Depending on the PR shop and available 7F funds, that may be a Spyderco or similar folding knife or a Gerber/Benchmade, or even a Gerber/Leatherman super-tool. Personally, I still have a fixed-blade in addition to that, in large part because I've had a Seal Pup that was "acquired" for me during my first tour and I've had it on my gear ever since...even after one particularly sticky-fingered PR removed it.

Renegade One

None
If all he had to do was ask the PRs for a knife, I'm sure his vest would be up.

For informational purposes... The fixed-blade knife is no longer required, only some sort of cutting device.
I understand the PRs don't have 'em to issue...I just meant "ask them" what the minimum requirement is, then get one of those via personal purchase.
I'd still favor a fixed blade, especially if you're in ejection seats. Something you can still use one-handed (broken arm, etc.).