• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer vs Cold weather flyers jacket and the Service Uniform

Rafterman

What's the difference between the summer and cold weather flyers jacket?

ie: Jacket, flyers, cold weather (CWU-36) vs Jacket, flyers, men's summer (CWU-36)

Marine Corps Uniform Regulations specifically mention the cold weather flyers jacket as authorized for wear with the service uniform, but does not mention the summer flyers jacket. Can I wear the Summer flyers jacket with my service uniform?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I haven't seen anyone wear the green jacket with anything but a flight suit.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Only thing I've seen Marines wear with service uniforms is the brown leather jacket. That being said, USMC studs seem to be even more afraid to wear it than Navy dudes.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Only thing I've seen Marines wear with service uniforms is the brown leather jacket. That being said, USMC studs seem to be even more afraid to wear it than Navy dudes.

If I had a brown leather jacket I would wear the hell out of it. Still waiting on supply to give me mine. My green jacket is a freaking large when I need a medium, but it was either that or no jacket at all. So I look like MC Hammer if MC Hammer was an SNA...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about with blue jeans...

IMG_5893-1.jpg

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The cold weather and summer flyers jacket are organizational clothing and are restricted to wearing it in your spaces/ships. Unless you are retired CDR, wearing it with jeans will not suit the Mk-1 Mod 0 naval aviator on AD.

The jackets look pretty much the same (green nomex) but the cold weather is thicker and keeps one a lot warmer.

As far as fear for wearing the brown leather jacket, feel the fear and do it anyways. It's a uniform item specifically for the Navy/USMC aviation. Wear it with pride. Do not turn wearing it into the brown shoe "I have to earn it first" mentality.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get the green jacket a size too large as you sometimes wear it pre-flighting in the rain with your gear on, and occasionally may fly with it on.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Get the green jacket a size too large as you sometimes wear it pre-flighting in the rain with your gear on, and occasionally may fly with it on.

I've definitely flown with it on, but it went under my vest, so larger was not better. Wouldn't want anything in the way of my air if I needed it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as fear for wearing the brown leather jacket, feel the fear and do it anyways. It's a uniform item specifically for the Navy/USMC aviation. Wear it with pride. Do not turn wearing it into the brown shoe "I have to earn it first" mentality.
Seconded. Good grief. Someone needs to publish a CNATRA instruction specifying that any SNA/SNFO who whines about having to "earn" brown shoes, let alone the jacket they just got ISSUED to them, SHALL be issued an immediate pink sheet for headwork/OLQ, and optionally kicked in the nuts until they recant. Pansies. :icon_tong

Rafterman

So does
"4. Listed are the four types of flight jackets authorized with the service uniform:
a. Jacket, flying, men's intermediate, type G-1 (leather)
b. Jacket, suits, flying, winter (green, poopie suit liner)
c. Jacket, flyers, cold weather, fire resistant (AF CWU-45 sage green)
d. Jacket, flyers, cold weather, fire resistant (AF CWU-36 sage green)"

from
"http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/URCH7.htm#UR7005"

mean I can wear
"Jacket, flyers, mens summer (CWU-36/P)" <--- what shows on the tag for my issued flyers jacket

with my service uniform, since the summer and winter flyers jacket look practically the same?

Maybe its a pointless question, but no one I've asked so far seems to have a solid answer.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Now if only I could find a place in Corpus to sew on my TG Navy Jack to the leather...

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Seconded. Good grief. Someone needs to publish a CNATRA instruction specifying that any SNA/SNFO who whines about having to "earn" brown shoes, let alone the jacket they just got ISSUED to them, SHALL be issued an immediate pink sheet for headwork/OLQ, and optionally kicked in the nuts until they recant. Pansies. :icon_tong

Had a guy show up to HSC-2 in black shoes, a little bit of me died :( Thankfully every single person gave him shit for it. As for brown boots, rumor has it they're issue now as well, no?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So does
"4. Listed are the four types of flight jackets authorized with the service uniform:
a. Jacket, flying, men's intermediate, type G-1 (leather)
b. Jacket, suits, flying, winter (green, poopie suit liner)
c. Jacket, flyers, cold weather, fire resistant (AF CWU-45 sage green)
d. Jacket, flyers, cold weather, fire resistant (AF CWU-36 sage green)"

from
"http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/URCH7.htm#UR7005"

mean I can wear
"Jacket, flyers, mens summer (CWU-36/P)" <--- what shows on the tag for my issued flyers jacket

with my service uniform, since the summer and winter flyers jacket look practically the same?

Maybe its a pointless question, but no one I've asked so far seems to have a solid answer.

Do you want to wear your nomex with a service uniform? if so, why?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I regularly wear the nomex over my khakis, especially if it's raining. If it's cold, wear a f'n jacket.