• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer OCC class (OCC-192) will be female only?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I am going to say probably not...the likelihood of filling an entire Company with females is very slim and ever if they could do it they would just split it up into two companies to get a better split....Besides they only have so many Female instructors and I don't think they have enough for an entire company.

bubba716

I'm guessing that would be a negative, I am doing PLC combined with the OCC 192 class and last time i checked I am a male.

stevo01

its a go for plc, but their is yet to be a mission for OCC 192(male). Female occ and combined PLC. SO, if you are occ, you will have to wait until they make adjustments to their mission due to attrition. Thats the info i have any ways.

Crowbar

None
This issue of a whole class being from a certain demographic comes up from time to time. Usually once or twice a year somebody flips out because they heard that OCC XXX had been cancelled.

I'm having a hard time believing one whole company (especially a summer class) will be dedicated to training females only. What single commissioning source produces that many females at once? For example, PLC Seniors somtimes doesn't have enough females to have its own platoon within Echo Co. If that's the case, they get combined with Golf Co (Bulldog).

I'd have to see something in writing to believe it. And no, smart asses, you posting it doesn't count as writing, not in my book anyway.

KBayDog

I heard about the OCC thing, too. Apparently they are not having a few of the scheduled OCC courses, because they want to make room for the G.I. Jane platoon and the monorail they are building between Brown Field and Bobo Hall. If you were scheduled for OCC/PLC/ABC/BBD-192, you have to wait until next year, and you have to sign a Statement of Understanding that says that you will only keep your flight contract if you agree not to get jets.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
bubba716 said:
I'm guessing that would be a negative, I am doing PLC combined with the OCC 192 class and last time i checked I am a male.

Watch out now, needs of the Corps, you know. Don't let any military docs put you under general anesthesia before you go....

:eek:

gringo

I got NPQ'd from OCC 190. My OSO told me that the summer OCC class will be all female as well and I have to wait until fall if I wanna go back.

SgtUSMC

My understanding of it was not that the entire OCC class would be female in the sense that it would be some abnormally huge female OCC class, but rather that it would be the PLC guys and girls that make up for the normal male OCC slots because they can only go in the summer since they are in school and OCC guys can go whenever and they are filling up. OCC is already the most competetive program, so they can do what they like and still fill up OCC classes. What's more, there are rumors of just preselecting all OCC people a class ahead to have a better idea of future classes.

Personally, I think the attrition rate thing is all that matters from 191, which unless I am mistaken the winter OCC has the highest average attrition rates of all the classes, generally speaking - since you really can't say for sure. In the end, the best explanation I have heard is that they really don't know until the quotas our out how many slots there will be are out and there has not been a denial of an OCC summer class yet, although that might depend on contract. Lastly, you must bear in mind OSOs could hypothetically insinuate to people who come in early in the fall that they should apply to the winter class because there is no summer class and he/she could not go again 'till fall, in order to fill up slots in the first fiscal year OCC class (winter).

This is all speculation and rumor gathering on my part though.

S/F

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
gringo said:
I got NPQ'd from OCC 190. My OSO told me that the summer OCC class will be all female as well and I have to wait until fall if I wanna go back.

The ONLY thing that makes sense is either 1) someone misunderstood or 2) what the Sgt said about all the male PLTs being filled by PLCers.

There is NO WAY that they could get 250+ females to fill a company AND have all female instructors. It simply cannot happen. Now, maybe they are trying to fill out the winter companies more and shift more of a decreasing OCC pool away from the summer. Anyway, in the end it doesn't matter, you will go when they tell you to...

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
An all female company would be down to 1 platoon after week 6 anyway. It's hard on the ladies down there.

tperng

The only way they might be able to get a whole company of female candidates is if they got all the female applicants for FY 2006 to apply to that one OCC class. I'm pretty sure they would be able to find enough qualified instructors since there only needs to be 4 or 5 platoon commanders and 12 to 15 instructors for the whole company. All the support staff like PTIs and others they will be able to keep as is.

But anyways, I think the whole thing is just a rumor. There are very few women interested in the Marine Corps, and very very few who become officers of Marines. I've heard statistics that say there are only 423 active duty female officers in the Corps. So if OCS can actually field a whole company of female officer candidates, that's quite a feat. I'd love for that to happen, but that's just wishful thinking.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
tperng said:
The only way they might be able to get a whole company of female candidates is if they got all the female applicants for FY 2006 to apply to that one OCC class. I'm pretty sure they would be able to find enough qualified instructors since there only needs to be 4 or 5 platoon commanders and 12 to 15 instructors for the whole company. All the support staff like PTIs and others they will be able to keep as is.

Your looking at 6 PLT CMDRs, 1 Co CO, 1 Co XO, 1 Co Gunny, 1 Co 1st Sgt, 3 instructors per PLT; which puts us roughly at 8 female officers and 20 female instructors. Is it possible? maybe, but so unlikely its not even funny. OCS instructors are all prior Boot Camp instructors so given the number of those around I think they would have to strip those commands to get enough for OCS. The OCS instructors also have additional training they have to do and are also with the command for about 2-3 years at a time. Therefore if they DID pull in all the female instructors required then they would have to have enough work to fill them for an additional 4 - 6 companies. Plain and simple, its not going to happen.

gouge is

The gouge from the secretary at the office whose been doing this over 15 years.

Yes it is supposedly an all female class.
No they are not currently allowed to contract males.

She said she has seen this before, and it never lasts and she believes they will end up contracting males closer to occ 192. So if I was motivated id have all the paperwork done and just be doing pfts with the office for good measure so you are ready to go when the moratorium on male candidates is lifted for 192.

s/f