• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer Cruises

WEGL

AllAmerican75 said:
Please tell me all summer cruises are like this, 'cause that'd be great.:D

Summer cruise, like everything, is what you make of it. If you want to sleep in a hammock all day you can do it. Best advice I could give: If you want to do something, ASK. On my 2/C cruise I wanted to go flying... EVERY squadron I called took me flying.

1/C cruise: I HIGHLY recommend Atsugi, Japan... great flying(get to fly in the 60B, 60F, 18F, S-3), SAR jumps, great golf, Mt. Fuji(don't do it, sucks)..... oh and then there's Roponggi(sp?). ;)
Bottom line... if your cruise sucks, it's probably your fault.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Allamerican75 said:
Hell I wish they'd send me on another cruise. I mean between the bodyshots off the stripper, the slip n' slide with dishsoap added, and the bedsheet swing in one of the staterooms. It was a hell of a good time. Please tell me all summer cruises are like this, 'cause that'd be great.
They aren't all like this, but it sounds fairly standard. Some of them are better... like roaming around in a foreign city (Edinburgh, Scotland) until they close the bars, coming back to the hotel (where you have 6 people staying in a room the size of a postage stamp), and having the woman at the desk go (in a most disgusted and annoyed voice) "The Americans are at the Bar" when someone asks if she's seen your friend. (hotel bars close much later)

Oh yeah, someone broke the front door (think glass) at the other hotel in Spain trying to pry it open. Long story that cannot be repeated for awhile.

BTW If anyone is going to Faslane, PM me, I'll give you the lowdown on the good spots we found

I have a million of these, some of which cannot be posted on a public board until... 36 days from now. Or not. Maybe 36 days plus 20 years and a glass of MacAllan.

mules83 said:
I will highly disagree with that statement looking back at my 1st class cruise.....
See I'd go the other way on this... as I recall you were forced to go surface instead of aviation... but there wasn't anything fun? I find that hard to believe that you didn't have any fun at all in ~30 days.

C'mon, I spent a month on a submarine for 2/C cruise and had a blast. Would I do it again? "OH HELL NO..." but I had a great time and I learned a lot of stuff about things I will probably never be exposed to in an aviation career.

For you guys heading to San Diego, have fun, I had a great time there last summer (1/C Cruise w/ HSC-3). I could see how it would suck a little if you aren't 21.

Oh by the way, the best advice I can give you? Find someone with a car and make them your new best friend. (And always keep a cash reserve. You never know when a random tree on NAS North Island is going to fall on the car that some LTJG loaned you... and then you're gonna have to buy him a new windshield because insurance doesn't cover it.)

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
mules83 said:
I will highly disagree with that statement looking back at my 1st class cruise.....

I could not agree with the other guy's statement more. If your cruise sucked, it was your fault! Regardless of where you go, you are there to learn about the navy and how to be a better officer. Maybe your unit was not very receptive to mids, but that does not mean that there was not something that you could have done to make it interesting.

Bottom line, you are doing something that a lot of people never get the chance to do! make the best of it.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Ok ok, I was partly incorrect, but I still partly stand by my statement (if that makes sense). When you are having H-60's guys coming up to you everyday (when I was out at sea, we were out for a week) asking if we wanted to go on rides and having to say no due to my unit staff thinking there was no need to get a cruise flight physical, it kind of gets to you. Or maybe it was when I went to lunch at the Oceana O-club while spending two weeks in Norfolk with no car and meeting two guys on an aviation cruise who were each on their 5th hornet flight (and it was only week 2).

I agree, it was an ok time, but it could have been SO much better. It just comes down to what I wanted to learn about....how to conn during an unrep or how it looks to come onto a cruiser from the perspective of an H-60 pilot. Or maybe how a P-3 lifestyle is out of the plane? Or if the preflight/bookwork (?) actions in a hornet squadron seem to be too much of a pain. That is what summer cruises should be about; giving you the experience of the field you are looking to go into. I spent a week talking with those H-60 guys and was really impressed/liked the HSL operations and life on a cruiser. Heck, if I was with them for four weeks I might be thinking to put helos as my first choice....but I will never know.

Jai5w4 got to experience the operations and feelings of the prowler, hornet and H-60 communities. With those experiences he can make a better choice out of primary then I can ever hope to have. I'm just going to have to go on what I grew up loving...and the constant harassment from IP's and their thoughts about the other communities......

There is the fun where you watch the CO of the cruiser yelling for Flank 3 on the bridge wing trying to beat a DDG out of an UNREP and the kind of fun where you learn about something you have been dreaming of doing for you whole life. I am a big fan of the second one and thats the reason for what I said before.

This is all why I wasnt too fond of my cruise.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So why couldn't you get a ride in the back of the -60? You can still fly from back there... No really, you can.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
mules83 said:
Ok ok, I was partly incorrect, but I still partly stand by my statement (if that makes since).

I'll put 20 down that you're from the South. :) :) :D :icon_tong

[/threadjack]

Sounds like you guys are set for a great time this summer... best of luck you you all (ya'll?).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
So why couldn't you get a ride in the back of the -60? You can still fly from back there... No really, you can.
Does crew hover count?

Brett

Nomar116

pilot
So to put this thread back on topic...our unit just got the first of our cruises in which included all of our 1/C Aviation cruises.

My roommate will be going to CVW5 at NAF Atsugi, Japan between 30 May and 25 Jun.

I will be going to CSFWP at NAS Lamoore, Ca between 26 Jun and 21 Jul. :D

Anyone know anything about either locales?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nomar116 said:
So to put this thread back on topic...our unit just got the first of our cruises in which included all of our 1/C Aviation cruises.

My roommate will be going to CVW5 at NAF Atsugi, Japan between 30 May and 25 Jun.

I will be going to CSFWP at NAS Lamoore, Ca between 26 Jun and 21 Jul. :D

Anyone know anything about either locales?
I hear Lemoore is a sweet party town.

Brett

Nomar116

pilot
Sweet party town??? I've heard anything but.

However, I live in a party town, I'm not looking for that. I am looking for a flight or more in an F18 and I'm pretty sure Lemoore IS good in that regard.