• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summer Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

beau

Well for all of you high school types wanting to go into the Navy/MC as officers.....I personally would choose NROTC. I feel that NROTC, though hard at times, can be fun and educational. During the summer, all Midshipman are required to go on summer training. This summer, I got to ride in the back of an F-14 tomcat as part of my first class cruise (summer before senior year). You might say I was lucky to get a ride but if your wanting to go into the aviation community they WILL put you on an aviation cruise before your senior year. During an aviation crusie you will ride in some short of military aircraft. So think about it, not for the ride, but for the opportunity to not only serve your country and build friends for life. NROTC is long and drawn out but if you know your willing and can look to the future while focusing on the present, give it a shot.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Phiman

Beau- Did you do aviation ashore or afloat? And what do you think are the pro's and con's of each? Thanks.

LadyJayUSN

Beau! What's up!
Hey, not to burst your bubble or anything, but there is always a chance that you could request an aviation cruise and not get it. The Navy usually does everything they can to get you your cruise selection, but you know the Navy and its needs and everything. But hey, you got your cat ride right?

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

beau

well yes that could happen jamie, but the biggest thing is passing your pre commissioning physical for aviation your junior year. If you pass that, more than likely you will get your avaition cruise. Granted that they put you were they need you (where their is an opening), and you dont screw up, aka not everyone gets into a tomcat squadron like i did(not prefect but hey, its me!).

Phiman,
I actually requested a carrier aviation cruise but the tomcat squadron opened to me ashore, I didnt hesitate to grab it. anyway, the differences. First off, when your on the carrier they assign you to the whole air wing, where as you are assigned to a squadron ashore. Secondly, individual BOQ rooms (or BEQ), compared to a rack with at least 3 or 4 dudes with you. Lastely, you have almost complete freedom ashore. You own the weekends. But I must say that each squadron is quite different to each other. For instance, when I was with my squadron, they did not expect me to work at all! I got to fly a t-34 twice, a H-3 once, and ride in the tomcat! Basically, I'd show up and look at the schedule, then go jump on the sims if availble. All we had to wear was our flight suits. On the other hand, other midshipman i know had to where khakis a couple of times, and did odd jobs. When my father was commander of an EA-6B Squadron, and he had Mids in the summer, he worked their asses off, but they flew almost everyday (four seats easy to fill)! Some squadrons could decide that all mids need a leash attached to them and not let them go anywhere! All different. Best you can do is have a good adtitude
I would have had no problem going to sea for my cruise. In fact it was a tiger cruise that sold me to Naval Aviation and is why I tried to go to sea for cruise.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Mcaf

I agree with beau. I've never seen a physically qualified mid who wants na av. cruise not get it. It's true about the needs of the Navy but it's not the same as being active. On my av cruise there were suppose to be 20 mids on the carier but they jammed 35 of us on there. There was no place for us to sleep but the navy still gave us the slots.

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
I dont't know of anyone that I went to school with that requested a Av summer Cruise and had their physical done that did not get it...but there is always a first time...

Status
Not open for further replies.