• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summary of NFO flight school

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Is there a point where they let you use the FMS to calculate the required fuel from point A to B?

I'm still amazed at what the T-1 can do. God I would KILL for a Navy T-1 syllabus.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
No FMS for studs...maybe a brief FAM on a long leg ANAV along with a weather radar primer. There are only 8 flights so no real time to play with the toys.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do y'all still have to waste half of your life manually chumming your charts? Biggest fucking waste of time.
Yeah, unfortunately...it's still the same TPC charts that were published in 1994 too.

Is there a point where they let you use the FMS to calculate the required fuel from point A to B?

It can do that? Damn...that would've been nice to use. The syllabus isn't that bad, but it's so short (a month for ground school and 8 flights) that you really just start understanding how everything works as you finish up.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
It can do that?

Oh yes, that and soo much more. The box can fly or calculate pretty much anything you want it to, short of autoland or auto throttles.

It also cooks a mean Eggs Benedict, but they only teach the IPs that function.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I'm pretty sure they are training us to be able to do a low-level in the event that GPS satelites are taken out, INS doesn't work or is degraded, and we don't have access to computers (but happen to have the echum printed out and handy).

Armada coined the term "trazing" :eek:

It is good training, though.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm pretty sure they are training us to be able to do a low-level in the event that GPS satelites are taken out, INS doesn't work or is degraded, and we don't have access to computers (but happen to have the echum printed out and handy).

Armada coined the term "trazing" :eek:

It is good training, though.

FWIW, I've never had to use any of those procedures in the fleet, even if my nav went tits-up (extremely rare). They're just task saturating you to see how you perform - something that happens a lot in the fleet, so it's not all hazing, and at least they're having you do something that is fundamentally part of navigation. Don't worry, once you get to the fleet, low levels will be fun and you won't have to worry about making inane & complicated wind or speed corrections because your "system" will tell you everything you need to know to make TOT. Keep at it and you'll be rewarded. :D

Brett

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
FWIW, I've never had to use any of those procedures in the fleet, even if my nav went tits-up (extremely rare). They're just task saturating you to see how you perform - something that happens a lot in the fleet, so it's not all hazing, and at least they're having you do something that is fundamentally part of navigation. Don't worry, once you get to the fleet, low levels will be fun and you won't have to worry about making inane & complicated wind or speed corrections because your "system" will tell you everything you need to know to make TOT. Keep at it and you'll be rewarded. :D

Brett

It's all good, and I thought comps were pretty fun even without the gadgets. Next two flights are section low-levels with GPS/INS for the first time, so we'll see how they go.

If I'm lucky enough to select what I want I'll be up in Whidbey soon and can hopefully check out some of those awesome routes I hear so much about.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Almost done with primary (only 2 more out and ins, woohoo!), but my word of advice since it really hasn't been expounded much upon here, and this goes for pilots as well I guess, is don't screw up the brief. I've seen a bunch of people get jacked up for not knowing basic things like EPs and it sucks. EPs/limits and the like are really easy to brain dump between contacts and your instrument flights during the month of instrument ground school, so I make it a practice of every night before the flight to test myself on them.

NapalmRat

In regards to the GPS/FMS discussion I have had to fly where the FMS was giving me courses that were about 70 degrees off from what I needed and GS checks were about 50 knots fast or slow depending on how angry it was.
So trusting it entirely can come back to bite you pretty quick.

caliguy04

VP-30 orders

I am currently in NFO Primary and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether we receive PCS orders to JAX or TAD when we are sent to VP-30?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To echo that, the syllabus for NFOs takes about 6.5 months and you wing around the 5 month mark. I suggest if you go the P-3 route really looking into where you want to live in Jax even for just the RAG (since there are a wide variety of opinions on that) since you have a 50% chance of staying there.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I noticed the 86 thread was a little dated once again, and thought I would update it a little. There is really only a slight difference in syllabus flow and selection time. It still starts off the same, going through RST 0, 2 Airnavs, then the associated sims and radar navigation flights. Now there are only two low level flights, and they are oriented like the ones from intermediate. Following that you move into strikes (3 flights 2 sims), which alternate between radar and visual legs for the route. As Pat1USMC mentioned one of the new concepts you learn is high level timing, to get to your entry plus or minus two minutes. After Strikes you move into Comps (5 flights 3 sims), they’re also the same as previously mentioned. Then come Reattacks (4 sims 2 flights) which are explained in the other thread.

It is now after Reattacks that selection occurs and the strike guys (prowler) go off to the T-45. The strike fighter students finish up in the T-39 with conversion flights, 1v1, 2vX, and a strike route before going to the T-45. Obviously the only platforms now for selection are Prowlers Growlers and Supers. Students need to go strike fighter to select Growlers. As a side note I believe students no longer go through intermediate in the T-1. Hopefully that makes sense

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
When's the first time NFOs go the to boat? FRS CQ Det? Or earlier in VT-86?