• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SULE I

Status
Not open for further replies.

klostman

the happy dance!
E5B, or anyone else with some insight, I was curious as to what SULEI involves? Since I am doing the two 6 week increments, I am just focusing on what to expect and prepare for the first 6 weeks. I would imagine the things you perform in SULEI lead into SULEII for the second 6 week increment. Is SULEI kinda of like your final for the first 6 weeks? I know I can't prepare for much of what OCS has except for staying in shape and all, but I'm really excited about this. Thank you guys for the input.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I graduated from OCS this last summer, so I guess I qualify as someone with some insight. SULE I will be your final major event of your first 6 weeks. Its really pretty easy, you are a fire team leader, you are given an azimuth and a distance, and it is your job to lead your team using hand an arm signals to the objective and assault it.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
What' azimuth?

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

Taxman2A

War were declared.
An azimuth is a direction given in degrees, based on a compass. Directly north is either 360 degrees or 0 degrees. Directly East is 90, directly south is 180, etc. Needless to say, if someone gives you a compass and an azimuth and a distance, it's not rocket science to follow it. The only challenge with this is that the terrain in Quantico is covered with trees and plants, so you often have to do some maneuvering to stay on course. Don't worry, you will be taught all the trash you need to learn about it over and over again, it's not incredibly difficult to learn all the necessary information for SULE I or mapping.

klostman

the happy dance!
Thanks Taxman, that answers my question. BTW, know its been a little while, but congrats on OCS. Thats gonna be quite a day when you graduate and recieve your commission. I sure can't wait.
Nick

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Yeah I am pretty pumped up for that too Klostman!

Farkle... yeah, SULE I was pretty friggin easy, for some reason I got a better score on SULE II though... 89 on SULE I and a 94 on SULE II, go figure.

gsavy10

I understand that most of the people that fail out of OCS, fail because of the SULE II. Is this true? What does it involve? What was the most difficult part about it? Is there anything that I can do now to better prepare myself?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I think OCC candidates do SULE I and II (ten week program right?). I don't think I remember anyone failing out of anything at OCS. Maybe a bad grade now and then, but the material isn't that difficult. We dropped people for injuries, heat casualties, and a couple DOR's, but no academics that I can remember. Don't get yourself worked up about it! It's dog easy, a whole lot of hype, but pretty simple as long as you follow directions and learn your land nav. SULE II isn't too hard, it's everything else that goes along with it. The hump on the first day, running back and forth from the bivouac to the LRC in the Quantico sun(our only two black flag days we had at Sr's was during SULE II), and maneuvering around on the terrain (very steep and rugged) they do the actual SULE problems on. Not a huge ordeal -- the lack of food doesn't really bother you because you're so busy, and the sleep deal doesn't matter either because by that time you're used to not getting much sleep.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Gsavy- Yes and No...
There were people that failed out of OCS after a bad score on SULE II, but it wasn't JUST a bad score on SULE II. SULE II is an evaluation for everyone, but really, the only people who should be sweating going into it are those candidates who have already been threatened with dismissal (i.e. The students on OCS Probation). If you are "on the bubble" so to speak, and then you fail SULE II, its a pretty safe bet that you will be booted. However, if you are "on the bubble" and pull down a good score the Colonel will probably give you the OK to graduate. But if you are good to go all the way through OCS, and you have a tough time on SULE II, it would be hard to justify kicking you out.

Jboomer- yes, OCC and PLC Combined are the two 10 week programs, and do SULE I and SULE II all in the same trip.

gsavy10

Thanks guys. I think I had a buddy just messing with my head. He told me that 40% of his class failed out because they were not good "leaders". It got me pretty nervous.

davidsin

Yeah I heard somewhere that almost half of the class ends up dropping for one reason or another. I don't get worked up anymore like I used to. I'm kinda numb from waiting...

------------------------------------------
Semper Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.