• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Suggestions for Handgun Newbies

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm such a complete fanboy when it comes to .45 ACP revolvers. I have two, and am always drooling over them whenever I see one. Just sonething badass about moonclips I guess.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I got to shoot this gun today, it belongs to a coworker and it has the kick of a 20 mule team. Not one of us could hold it completely still when firing it.

DSC_0093.jpg

It's a 454 CASULL if I recall right.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I'm such a complete fanboy when it comes to .45 ACP revolvers. I have two, and am always drooling over them whenever I see one. Just sonething badass about moonclips I guess.

It's an original, too. My great-grandfather bought the thing off of a colleague in the 1920s. I'm looking forward to putting some rounds through it.

81montedriver

pilot
I have a 1911 commander and it is probably my favorite out of my pistols. It is not a beginner's pistol but with a little bit of practice you can get used to it very quickly. The disassembly process is not tricky but there are a lot of parts and is not difficult with a bit of practice.

.45 gives a little bit of kick as well but because the 1911 has some weight to it, it is very manageable.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I have a 1911 commander and it is probably my favorite out of my pistols. It is not a beginner's pistol but with a little bit of practice you can get used to it very quickly. The disassembly process is not tricky but there are a lot of parts and is not difficult with a bit of practice.

.45 gives a little bit of kick as well but because the 1911 has some weight to it, it is very manageable.

What kind do you have? A "Commander" disassembles exactly like a 5" Government model 1911. There are other oddball shorty 1911s, but there is only one "Commander", and it is an aluminum-framed, 4 1/4" barrel 1911 by Colt.

For me, the Commander -- more specifically, the all-steel Combat Commander -- is the absolute perfect 1911. The shortened length makes it slightly more concealable, it has a batter balance than the 5" gun (while still being able to control muzzle flip), and it just looks right.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I've a Kimber Pro Carry II Stainless myself, and it's my go-to carry gun. I'm considering picking up a bobtailed commander style pistol in the near future, but it's hard to justify the purchase, just for the gucci factor. Sure, I know they're supposed to print less easily, but let's be honest.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I just got back from the range and the Combat Commander shoots like a champ. Oddly enough, I shot better shooting 230-grain versus the 185-grain. I also put some rounds through the Baby Browning and she did pretty well, but the slide kept biting my hand.