• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

No, but use your common sense. Your hot pink pair will draw attention.

Ahh da*n I had a pair of hot pink, light blue, yellow, with neon green stripes sketchers I was going too bring :). All joke aside thanks you all for the help I am going to bring two pairs OCS recommends it, amazing what I can find out when I read everything on the WHAT TO BRING LIST.

USAF_WX2USN

If you check out the OCS Facebook page the pics show candidates with all sorts of crazy colors, but what we don't see is how they're treated with choosing those colors. I'm personally going on the conservative side, but bringing two pairs.

Sonog

pilot
If you check out the OCS Facebook page the pics show candidates with all sorts of crazy colors, but what we don't see is how they're treated with choosing those colors. I'm personally going on the conservative side, but bringing two pairs.

The DI's are more concerned about looking for signs of weakness than who has crazy shoes they can pick on. Having neon green shoes won't make you stand out like not putting out in a rpt session will. I was in your spot and fretted about stupid details like that, but it doesn't matter at all. Its not like FMJ where they're going to make fun of how you look.

LET73

No one's going to be malnourished. I don't know how it is in Newport, but in Pensacola all the food was pretty high in calories (deep-fried Southern cuisine), and they're going to give you ample chances to hydrate (and yes, they'll give you appropriate chances to make a head call).

If you're running 2-3 times a week and you're still borderline on the PRT, you need to be running more times per week, especially if you're prior enlisted. Speaking as a non-prior, the priors had a tougher time in OCS, because the assumption was that they should know better. OCS isn't the fleet.

As far as "distinctive" sneakers, there's nothing to say you can't wear them. Most likely, no one will care. That said, if you suck at PT, it's a thing the DIs might pick up on.

Finally, show up in shape and always give it 100%. You might not be the fastest or the strongest, but if you show up in standards and work hard, you'll be fine.

Artur

VT-86
Just had a quick question about the $$:
I'm heading to OCS next week and was wondering as to how much money do we have left over from our paychecks while we are at OCS? I know we have to pay for uniforms and other things which are quite pricey, but i was wondering how much money to have in my checking account to be able to cover my student loan and other misc payments. Unfortunately i dont have a botomless checking acct so i wonder if i need to borrow some money from my family in the meantime.

All replies are greatly appreciated!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Uniform bill is due at the end. Its approx $1800-2000. You'll get an initial uniform allowance and you can put it on a credit card.

Look up E5 pay under 2 years and multiply by 3. Then add initial uniform allowance. That's what you'll get paid.

MGoBrew11

pilot
The uniform bill was quite a bit more for recent graduates. Everyone in my class paid at least 2500, many of us up to 2900.

You do get a uniform allowance in one of your first pay checks though. That helps a little bit.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Sounds about right. Don't forget you're going to spend a significant sum on class coins, t-shirts, Hi-Moms etc.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
You will also get the opportunity to apply for a Military Starcard (http://www.shopmyexchange.com/exchangecredit) that gives you the option of interest free financing for the first 6 or 12 months (cannot remember which). You can go back to the NEX after your uniform/student account is closed out and charge your balance to the Starcard with a 10% discount. You only receive the 10% on your first day of use so I (along with other classmates) just used it that day for the account balance plus misc. things such as watches. Saves you $300 (give or take) and I did not see any adverse reasons to keep me from going that route.

You will also get the opportunity to apply for a Military Starcard (http://www.shopmyexchange.com/exchangecredit) that gives you the option of interest free financing for the first 6 or 12 months (cannot remember which). You can go back to the NEX after your uniform/student account is closed out and charge your balance to the Starcard with a 10% discount. You only receive the 10% on your first day of use so I (along with other classmates) just used it that day for the account balance plus misc. things such as watches. Saves you $300 (give or take) and I did not see any adverse reasons to keep me from going that route.

Actually its 0% interest for military clothing purchases according to the site.

USAF_WX2USN

That is correct 0% interest on stuff for clothing sales. I already have a star card, but won't have enough balance to purchase items on it....

Does anyone know if we can still get a pre commission loan from USAA if we are already prior service enlisted?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The uniform bill was quite a bit more for recent graduates. Everyone in my class paid at least 2500, many of us up to 2900.

You do get a uniform allowance in one of your first pay checks though. That helps a little bit.
Yea, in fairness I went through with khakis. The parka and liner cost something like $400 alone or some crazy amount. Then you need to buy four sets of smurf uniforms at like $160/each and pay $20/each in like tailoring/taping fees.

There's a reason I only have two of those things.

Sounds about right. Don't forget you're going to spend a significant sum on class coins, t-shirts, Hi-Moms etc.
Only if the class wants to. The T-shirt is $20 ish. Hi-moms we were able to do for under $10/person at the O-club. Coins? Your first salute coins cost $2, one for your DI and one for your CPO. Anything more than that is just silly unless you're giving it to a family member/friend. It's going to seem like a big deal at the time, but most DIs/CPOs don't keep a vat of 100s of silver dollars in their house. I'm quite certain my DI/CPO wouldn't even recognize me if they saw me, let alone remember me if they knew my name. After all, being well-known at OCS is rarely a good thing.

BUDU

They'll recognize you if you're the one cheapass who spent $2 on their "silver" dollar when everyone else in the class bought real silver.