• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Every class when I went through had unrestricted access to as much hot food as you could eat. But it is shitty Navy cafeteria food. If you chose not to eat it because you couldn't handle exercising 30 min later or it didn't settle wth you, then that's your choice not the DIs.

Point is for the wannabes, the program doesn't intentionally malnurish you. You get 3 squares a day and plenty of water with a healthy serving of goose poop.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Point is for the wannabes, the program doesn't intentionally malnurish you. You get 3 squares a day and plenty of water with a healthy serving of goose poop.

Just to add, you are even allowed to raise your hand and request more food. The DIs won't do anything to you for that, so long as you say/do it right.

I just finished swearing in and I was told I would be an O-1E after OCS the thing is I have been in the Air Force reserves 4 years 6 mos I thought you had to have 4 years active duty time but in the office they told me four years military time is this correct?

USAF_WX2USN

I just finished swearing in and I was told I would be an O-1E after OCS the thing is I have been in the Air Force reserves 4 years 6 mos I thought you had to have 4 years active duty time but in the office they told me four years military time is this correct?

Here's the reg: http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/current/07a/07a_01.pdf page 11 and 44

010103. Active Enlisted and/or Warrant Officer Service for Members in Basic Pay Grades O-1E, O-2E, or O-3E
A. Service Counted
* 1. General. Commissioned officers with over 4 years of prior active service as an enlisted member, warrant officer, or combined service in both grades are entitled to count such service for purposes of computing basic pay for longevity purposes. Such prior service includes all active service, in either the Regular or Reserve Component or both (i.e., active duty for training in enlisted or warrant officer status, annual Reserve training duty, and full-time National Guard duty). Service on active duty or active and inactive duty for training for at least 4 years and 1 day satisfies the over 4 years of service requirement under this section. See subparagraph 010102.A.8 and applicable notes to Tables 1-7 and 1-8 for student entitlement to basic pay for longevity purposes while attending the USUHS.
* 2. Creditable Prior Enlisted Service. Commissioned officers in pay grades O-1, O-2, or O-3 who are credited with over 4 years (i.e., at least 4 years and 1 day) of prior active service as an enlisted member are entitled to the special rate of basic pay for pay grade O-1E, O-2E, or O-3E.

Here's the reg: http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/current/07a/07a_01.pdf page 11 and 44

010103. Active Enlisted and/or Warrant Officer Service for Members in Basic Pay Grades O-1E, O-2E, or O-3E
A. Service Counted
* 1. General. Commissioned officers with over 4 years of prior active service as an enlisted member, warrant officer, or combined service in both grades are entitled to count such service for purposes of computing basic pay for longevity purposes. Such prior service includes all active service, in either the Regular or Reserve Component or both (i.e., active duty for training in enlisted or warrant officer status, annual Reserve training duty, and full-time National Guard duty). Service on active duty or active and inactive duty for training for at least 4 years and 1 day satisfies the over 4 years of service requirement under this section. See subparagraph 010102.A.8 and applicable notes to Tables 1-7 and 1-8 for student entitlement to basic pay for longevity purposes while attending the USUHS.
* 2. Creditable Prior Enlisted Service. Commissioned officers in pay grades O-1, O-2, or O-3 who are credited with over 4 years (i.e., at least 4 years and 1 day) of prior active service as an enlisted member are entitled to the special rate of basic pay for pay grade O-1E, O-2E, or O-3E.

When it mentions active service does it means active duty member serving 4 years or any active time in the military? This is were I'm getting confused.

USAF_WX2USN

It's active duty time, which equals points. Are you a weekend warrior or full time reserve? How many points does your record show?

I figured it out its 4 years active time reserve time counts to so I will get O-1E. When it comes to retirement only the year of active duty time I have will count. In the regs it says active time not active duty time and an Air Force Major cleared it up for me as well.

MK91

Regarding the prior conversation about not enough food:
Do they force you to finish a whole meal or do they portion food by size of the person?

I recognize this is a stupid question, but you guys are talking about eating 1000 calories per meal - that's almost a whole day's worth to me.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Everyone gets the same amount of food at the line - you can choose how much to grab at the salad bar. Sometimes, depending how far along you are, you might be able to subtly ask the mess staff to dish you out extra helpings without getting caught. What you eat is up to you. You can choose to eat none of it (bad decision) or as tiz84 said you can even stand up and ask for seconds. No one is going to tell you how much to eat at OCS unless you end up on a nutrition plan - which as I understand it is usually only done for people in H class who fail the height/weight requirements.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Regarding the prior conversation about not enough food:
Do they force you to finish a whole meal or do they portion food by size of the person?

I recognize this is a stupid question, but you guys are talking about eating 1000 calories per meal - that's almost a whole day's worth to me.
You go up to the hot food line and it's up to you to ask them for what you want on the hot food line. You can ask for more and some servers will give it to you, but the official Navy-wide galley policy is they're supposed to give you a "serving" of whatever you ask for and you have to come back up for seconds to get more. They (the DIs) don't really watch you other than to make sure you aren't getting anything that's restricted, which is typically dairy, dressings and cheeses from the salad bar, and weakness (dessert).

You don't have to get everything on the hot food line.

Realize that their meats are fairly high in calories/fat: one beef tumor (steak) is 700-900 calories. A cheeseburger is 500-600 (fun to eat with a spoon, too), a hamster is 500-600, and your serving of potato/grain will be another 200-300 on top with another 50-100 for veggies and 180-240 for the powerade you drink. And they have side buns/biscuits at almost every meal which weigh in at 200-300 calories. So yea, pretty easy to load up on calories if you want to.

Question about running shoes in OCS do they have to be a specific color? I also have seen post of folks taking two pair one for RLP and one to actually run is this a good idea?

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
You don't have to bring a second pair for RLP, you just have to clean the ones you have. You might want to bring a second pair just for the sake of it though - after PT on a soaking wet field at 0500, its nice to not have to wear wet shoes throughout the day.

BUDU

I'd completely torn up a pair of brand new shoes by the time RLP came around. You may want a second pair anyway.