• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

USAF_WX2USN

BAS is not for dependents, it is for the servicemember only. As you are in enlisted status with meals available on-base, you will not collect BAS until you commission (which would result in a net negative from your pay if you eat every meal on-base).

Ok, that's what I figured. Well, at least family sep will make up some of the defect.

USAF_WX2USN

For those who chose to fly, did they fly you in the day prior and get you in at a decent hour? Still debating what I want to do.

Beefalo

How many PFA's are you required to contine training and which ones actually count? Is it like enlisted boot camp where the first PFA is a gouge to see where you're at and only passing the final PFA is necessary? Despite me running 2-3 times a week for the last 4 months Im still borderline with the run Im hoping the DI's can whip me into shape. Best 1.5 mile run Ive had was 12:45 and that was eight years ago in boot camp always been in the 13's since then.

BackOrdered

Contributor
How many PFA's are you required to contine training and which ones actually count? Is it like enlisted boot camp where the first PFA is a gouge to see where you're at and only passing the final PFA is necessary? Despite me running 2-3 times a week for the last 4 months Im still borderline with the run Im hoping the DI's can whip me into shape. Best 1.5 mile run Ive had was 12:45 and that was eight years ago in boot camp always been in the 13's since then.

You are shooting your foot off if you show up and fail the IN-PFA.

Beefalo

Do you get a chance to do a mock PFA prior to the IN-PFA? I always like to gauge how fast I need to run at certain points at different tracks. When is the IN-PFA? Week 1? I can knock out almost 100 sit-ups with almost no training but yet after months of running Im still borderline. Its always been my curse in the Navy but I havent failed a PFA yet and dont plan to. Im probably just over thinking things as the date draws closer...

MasterBates

Let's just say I would not want to be the enlisted guy who goes to OCS, fails out due to something totally under his control, and goes back to the fleet not as an officer.

Sent from a van down by the river via Tapatalk

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you show up worried about just passing the PFA, you are too fat and out of shape for OCS. "Running" a 13ish min 1.5 mi, doing 40ish situps and 40ish pushups is easy. If you are seriously worried about that then you need to reconsider your lifestyle.

Also if you are prior and can only pass a PFA with generous form or magic counting, a short 1.5 mi trail, or making the CFL violate his integrity on your rope and choke, you will fail at OCS. They legitimately uphold the standards, which are set ridiculously low anyway.

WEGL12

VT-28
Another thing with the PFA at OCS, do you have to perform the exercise the entire 2 minutes or once you reach your max you can stop? For example, if you do 70 push-ups in the first minute and a half and know you max out around 75 should you stretch those out for the remaining 30 seconds or push until failure. I want to keep pushing until I reach failure but don't want to run the risk of having my count zeroed because I reached failure and my knee hits the deck. I know in my previous PFAs I would hit 70 or so pushup and reach my failure limit and be done with 30 seconds to go.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Try to go the whole 2 min. Kneeling too early shows a lack of effort, and can get you unwanted attention. They understand people will collapse but if you take a knee after 1 min it won't go well.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Try to go the whole 2 min. Kneeling too early shows a lack of effort, and can get you unwanted attention. They understand people will collapse but if you take a knee after 1 min it won't go well.

I would say form and a respectable number of push ups or sit-ups matter regardless of the time. Form is HUGE! The "Black Ninja" may have retired, but someone may have took his place.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Another thing with the PFA at OCS, do you have to perform the exercise the entire 2 minutes or once you reach your max you can stop? For example, if you do 70 push-ups in the first minute and a half and know you max out around 75 should you stretch those out for the remaining 30 seconds or push until failure. I want to keep pushing until I reach failure but don't want to run the risk of having my count zeroed because I reached failure and my knee hits the deck. I know in my previous PFAs I would hit 70 or so pushup and reach my failure limit and be done with 30 seconds to go.

If you knee goes down you stop counting where you were. They ones you did still count. Most of the DIs will make you wait in the "up" position for everyone else to finish.

Form is definitely important, ESPECIALLY during the IST. They will brief you the night before on acceptable form. It is not quite as strict as you might think, but don't go against it during the test or they WILL dock you. For pushups, it was hands need to be about shoulder length apart and you need to "break the plane" and get 90 degrees for the pushup to count. All the way down, all the way up.

For situps, hands cannot come off of your collar bone, elbows cannot come off of your stomach and must touch ANY part of your thigh to count. Shoulder blades must hit the deck to start over.