• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
It's really not that bad... if you bring something you don't end up wanting, a Candi-O will put it in the Lucky Bag room when appropriate for you. Didn't hear much about people losing valuable items in our class during OCS.

There literally was a guy in our class (eventually rolled) who showed up with nothing but the clothes on his back. His recruiter hadn't filled him in on anything he was supposed to bring and he survived.

Pick smartly, but you can always change your mind what you want to have on you during OCS (barring the restrictions of what you are ALLOWED to have that is). Relax, and don't worry about this little stuff; much bigger things to worry about.

WEGL12

VT-28
Quick question about pt/prt,
I know for the push-ups you have to go down until your arms are parallel with the deck but do they care how wide your hand stance is? I am working on improving my push-up score but my hand location makes a big difference for me. If I put my hands directly below my shoulders it seems more of an arm work out and I can only max out around 60 reps. But if move my hands about three inches outboard of each shoulder it makes them much easier and I can max out around 75 reps. I am hoping to get my max number up around 85 or more by June so I do several different types of push-ups regardless (diamond, wide stance, etc.). I am just more interested in how they want your hands during the PRT. Thanks for the help.

acwildcat

pilot
Quick question about pt/prt,
I know for the push-ups you have to go down until your arms are parallel with the deck but do they care how wide your hand stance is? I am working on improving my push-up score but my hand location makes a big difference for me. If I put my hands directly below my shoulders it seems more of an arm work out and I can only max out around 60 reps. But if move my hands about three inches outboard of each shoulder it makes them much easier and I can max out around 75 reps. I am hoping to get my max number up around 85 or more by June so I do several different types of push-ups regardless (diamond, wide stance, etc.). I am just more interested in how they want your hands during the PRT. Thanks for the help.

I believe the official standard is that your hands have to be directly below your shoulder. That being said, I don't recall ever hearing anyone at OCS get hit for that.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I've seen online that proper procedure is: starting out in the down position, your thumbs should be underneath your shoulders.

WEGL12

VT-28
I've seen online that proper procedure is: starting out in the down position, your thumbs should be underneath your shoulders.

I will just stick with my hands directly under my shoulders. Then I am safe either way since they get easier the further out my hands are. Thanks.

And pat_ryan good luck this coming weekend, just realized you report Sunday. I know you're excited.

Sonog

pilot
I was worried about that too, but in the end it didn't matter at all. At every prt everyone put their hands where they were comfortable. Obviously super wide won't fly, but no one actually used the exact form of those prt videos. You never know how the current DI's and RDI's will decide to enforce form, so it can't hurt to work on both.

Gouge I wish people told me before I went to OCS:

-adjust your caloric intake as OCS progresses. Don't keep eating at chow in week 6 and 7 like its week 1 or 2. Although gorging yourself at chow is one of the best pleasures you can get out of OCS, the calories will catch up to you.

-When its time to order pictures, and you have more than one woman in your life (mother, sister, SO, wife etc). Don't be cheap. Order as many as you can.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
But DO be cheap on hi-moms/dining out (if you have one) and class T-shirts. A class not too far from us spent thousands on those events and items. We rented out the O-club for like $8 a head and the families had an equally enjoyable time.

You might be a single "E-5" about to be commissioned who doesn't know what to do with your newfound steady stream of income, but some of your classmates have families to feed back home, and spending an arm and a leg on these things just isn't in the budget.

BUDU

Don't be cheap with the manufacturer. The guy in charge of our class T-shirts bought some really shitty ones.

USAF_WX2USN

Ok. Yeah, I figured I would keep BAH, but thought I would lose BAS since we're eating at the chow hall for every meal. Good to know. Thanks!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yes, you will since you have dependents.
BAS is not for dependents, it is for the servicemember only. As you are in enlisted status with meals available on-base, you will not collect BAS until you commission (which would result in a net negative from your pay if you eat every meal on-base).

Sumit

BAS is not for dependents, it is for the servicemember only. As you are in enlisted status with meals available on-base, you will not collect BAS until you commission (which would result in a net negative from your pay if you eat every meal on-base).
True, I misread BAS as BAH.