• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

A

AlexSmart

Procedure for "unofficial" items (for those flying into Newport)

Im in class 10-11 reporting next Sunday. Ive spent most of the morning searching threads about unofficial items to bring (nail polish, blue masking tape, etc). Obviously folks driving in are going to keep it in their car for check in.

Im just going to have a backpack with all of those items stowed in a classmates trunk. I havent been able to find any info on when we will have a chance to go out and get them when they are needed.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
It used to be on Sundays they would let us go out to the cars without the DI's to grab stuff. But then they learned that we just went to the cars to smoke, joke, listen to music, eat geedunk, and smuggle contraband.

UGA

BDCP SNA
Im in class 10-11 reporting next Sunday. Ive spent most of the morning searching threads about unofficial items to bring (nail polish, blue masking tape, etc). Obviously folks driving in are going to keep it in their car for check in.

Im just going to have a backpack with all of those items stowed in a classmates trunk. I havent been able to find any info on when we will have a chance to go out and get them when they are needed.

Just bring everything in. The things you are not allowed to have on you will stay in your bag and put in a room. When you are allowed you can get the things out of the bag. Much easier than a POV run.

bluemarlin04

Are you authorized leave days post OCS? I searched the thread and found out that you are as long as you make the report NLT date. Just want to double check because my family wants to fly out for my graduation but the ticket price is quite expensive since we live in Hawaii. I wouldn't want them spending a whole bunch of money and travel time and only getting to see me for a day before I have to go to Florida.

jtmedli

pilot
Are you authorized leave days post OCS? I searched the thread and found out that you are as long as you make the report NLT date. Just want to double check because my family wants to fly out for my graduation but the ticket price is quite expensive since we live in Hawaii. I wouldn't want them spending a whole bunch of money and travel time and only getting to see me for a day before I have to go to Florida.

You can take as many days of leave as you want to take after graduation. Just make sure you show up to check in at your next command by the NLT date.

beaverslayer

pilot
Just a 20 round fam course with a 9mm. And in typical Navy fashion the safety briefs/instructions/admin crap takes about 4 hours, and then you shoot for no more than 5 minutes. It's awesome.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
hahaha that indeed sounds awesome.

Follow up question. Do Officers carry side arms on the actual ship?
Sure. And if the Es piss us off, we get to use our side arms to put a round in them too. Great discipline tool - keeps the Es motivated to work hard.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
No. It's purely a fam course.

Huh. That's changed. Used to be that you could qualify. However, very few did. You only got one shot at it and the guns were in such bad shape that there was no telling where the bullet was going to go. I remember freely moving the rear sight back and forth on my gun thinking that this wasn't going to go well.

It didn't.

beaverslayer

pilot
Huh. That's changed. Used to be that you could qualify.

Yeah a few of us asked if we could, mostly just to delay going back to the suck of daily life. The instructors at the range said that because of budget cuts they couldn't afford to give us that many rounds.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I would offer to bring my own ammunition, but I'm sure that wouldn't go over very well :)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah a few of us asked if we could, mostly just to delay going back to the suck of daily life. The instructors at the range said that because of budget cuts they couldn't afford to give us that many rounds.

When folks who head to Iraq get the bare minimum to qualify, I am not surprised they laugh at Candidates who request to qualify "just cause". It'd be nice, but I guess the ammo budget is tighter than a snare drum... ?