• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You guys need to start stretching... My hamstrings are tight if I don't stretch enough but you're going to be expected to do the sit and reach as well as lots of flutter kicks, 6-90s, and stuff like that with your legs straight. So go stretch.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
You guys need to start stretching... My hamstrings are tight if I don't stretch enough but you're going to be expected to do the sit and reach as well as lots of flutter kicks, 6-90s, and stuff like that with your legs straight. So go stretch.

Flutter kicks are done from a reclined position, are they not? And I'm with some of the people before, like m26 . . . I've been stretching my legs intensively for a few months now, with minimal improvement. Sometimes it's not as easy as "You guys need to start stretching..."

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
As far as I know, flutter kicks are an abdominal exercise. I've never had issues doing them based on the fact that I have tight hamstrings.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Flutter kicks and leg lifts are done on your back, hands under your butt, with a volume level somewhere between a very loud bark to screaming every ounce of air out of your lungs.

blarged

ready
stuff about not being able to touch your toes

When it is 0530 and you are on the PT field for a PFA, no drill instructor is going to listen to any excuse for not touching your toes. If it were me and I didn't have a chit on my person, I would not be telling the DI "this indoctrination candidate's physical therapist said..." If it is a true physical inability to touch toes without snapping something, go get a chit from the Navy and hope it isn't a disqualifying disability.

Assuming you don't get a chit, remember that the first PFA a couple days after you show up is just a "mock PFA" (ALERT: gouge from my time at OCS, you might have it different). You don't roll for failing the mock PFA unless you stop running or just really fail at PT to a point where they don't think it is safe for you to be in the program. IN-PFA is week 4 and that's when the rolling for failing business starts up. By then I would be willing to bet you will be touching your toes.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I appreciate the response blarged, but my question for a recent graduate would be did you actually ever see anyone not able to do it get rolled for it -- or even yelled at for not being able to touch their toes? My guess would be no. As a former NCO, I would have a hard time derailing someone's career because of something like not being able to touch their toes. I know it's technically a part of the PRT at OCS, but as best as I can tell when you get into the regular Navy it's not something tested at all.

I will start stretching regardless and hope I can actually touch my toes by the time I ship off to OCS.

Falker

Not Air Force
I appreciate the response blarged, but my question for a recent graduate would be did you actually ever see anyone not able to do it get rolled for it -- or even yelled at for not being able to touch their toes? My guess would be no. As a former NCO, I would have a hard time derailing someone's career because of something like not being able to touch their toes. I know it's technically a part of the PRT at OCS, but as best as I can tell when you get into the regular Navy it's not something tested at all.

I will start stretching regardless and hope I can actually touch my toes by the time I ship off to OCS.

From my experience, the DIs didn't even pay attention when we did the sit and reach. I wouldn't worry too much about it. They wouldn't roll you for it unless you're a target.

Even if you get rolled for any reason, it's not that big of a deal IMO. There were guys that graduated after a year of being injured. If you really want it, the staff will realize this.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ The other side of that coin is that OCS is 12 weeks, unless it's longer. The quickest way out is to graduate with your original class. I'm not saying hide medical stuff, but you also might have to work through some pain/illness/discomfort. I saw a lot of people that used medical/H Class as a crutch. Don't think you're getting away with anything.

m26

Contributor
Touch your damn toes and stop making excuses.

Bull. Never in my life will I ever be able to touch my toes in the sit and reach. My physical therapist says maybe with another few months of therapy, which would equal 3-5 months of 1-3 hours/day of stretching. It's just genes. It's not a matter of f-ing willpower for some people.

blarged

ready
did you actually ever see anyone not able to do it get rolled for it -- or even yelled at for not being able to touch their toes?

No, never did see anyone that was unable to touch their toes. People (myself included) were close to not touching. I'd bend my toes back as far as I could to get them closer to my fingers. But in all the PFA's we did, they checked every person's sit-n-reach.

adhermes

So this is merely gouge, but a friend of mine just graduated OCS, and said that in his final two weeks the DI's were really upset, because apparently new standard operating procedures from the top came down and severely limited what the DI's can and cannot do. Apparently all the DI's were talking about it and really didn't seem happy. Does anyone have any more information on this?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I suppose so. But my thread on the subject got deleted.... maybe there is some truth to it.

The thread was deleted because you asked the question in more than one place. If we were really trying to censor you, this posting of the question would be gone too. You would have also gotten a warning about it. The mod who deleted your thread was just keeping an orderly forum.