• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
The flu shot is the one that kicks me in the rear - it's always before I go to the field for some wonderful late-fall training on the art of finding ingenious ways to stay warm while trying to shoot pop-up targets.

You'll also get country specific shots and / or pills but don't sweat it. Now it was the malaria pills made me jittery and very forgetful. That wasn't so bad as I was missing that effect from beer anyway.

Screw the malaria pills. I had those on my first go-around to Iraq. I won't be taking those again anytime soon.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
...I know. I've got to figure out a way to get out of [some] of them. Your body's not meant to handle 20 years of shots in a week. Did you have to provide medical records of ALL of them or was verbal confirmation enough for some of them?

I was kind of joking. There is a reason that babies don't get them all at once. It'll take a few months (maybe a year or so?) to get everything. I have no idea what the adult reaction is to vaccines that most kids get, though. You might feel pretty shitty for a few days after each round. I know my kids did, but they were a month old. Your mileage may vary. Just in case, Day One of OCS is not the day to feel shitty because you just got the "Dip-Tet" that everyone else got when they were an infant.

Are you in college now? Hell, go knock some of these shots out at the clinic on campus. I'm amazed that they let you in there without all that stuff, anyway. I couldn't even play Little League without all of my shots being up to date, much less go to college and live in dorms, etc.

I would be willing to bet that you have to have medical records. Your word ain't quite good enough for Navy Medicine, just yet.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Ok I have a question regarding sit and reach. I have been in BDCP for 2 years and done 5 or 6 PRTs total. Up until my most recent one last week i've never had to do, nor even knew about, the sit and reach portion. I couldn't do it, but because it seemed like more of a joke part of the test nobody cared.

This may have worked then, but i'm heading out to OCS in January and i'm sure it is going to matter there. I haven't been able to touch my toes since I was a kid. I played lacrosse for 4 years in HS and we of course stretched every day, but it just never happened. I didn't really think much about it until now. I started stretching as soon as I found out, but I think it may be too late.

Either way i'm going to keep it up, but I don't want to pull anything because of overstretching. My question is, what would happen if I failed this at OCS? I read in an older post that they will put you in H. What happens if I still can't the next time? Will I just keep rolling and rolling? I don't want something as stupid as sit and reach to ruin me.

In an effort to help prepare for exactly how they will test me, does anyone know how they administer the test? Do they have the box that you put your heels against? That I can do slightly better because your feet aren't together. I'm guessing they just make you keep your knees down and tell you to grab your toes. How long would I have to hold them?

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I found out about this test now so at least i've got another 5 weeks to see how flexible I can get.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
You'll sit across from your partner with your heels touching and the you have to reach for 2 seconds. They'll show you how to do it and then you'll do it. That's about it.

Hopefully you can do it for 2 seconds....if not, well i'm not sure what happens because I've never seen anyone have problems with it. I'm sure you can work up to it though.

Good luck at OCS in January....you'll be there one year from when I went!

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Ok I have a question regarding sit and reach. I have been in BDCP for 2 years and done 5 or 6 PRTs total. Up until my most recent one last week i've never had to do, nor even knew about, the sit and reach portion. I couldn't do it, but because it seemed like more of a joke part of the test nobody cared.

This may have worked then, but i'm heading out to OCS in January and i'm sure it is going to matter there. I haven't been able to touch my toes since I was a kid. I played lacrosse for 4 years in HS and we of course stretched every day, but it just never happened. I didn't really think much about it until now. I started stretching as soon as I found out, but I think it may be too late.

Either way i'm going to keep it up, but I don't want to pull anything because of overstretching. My question is, what would happen if I failed this at OCS? I read in an older post that they will put you in H. What happens if I still can't the next time? Will I just keep rolling and rolling? I don't want something as stupid as sit and reach to ruin me.

In an effort to help prepare for exactly how they will test me, does anyone know how they administer the test? Do they have the box that you put your heels against? That I can do slightly better because your feet aren't together. I'm guessing they just make you keep your knees down and tell you to grab your toes. How long would I have to hold them?

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I found out about this test now so at least i've got another 5 weeks to see how flexible I can get.

This is the problem with having too much information. This site (and others) have you guys so wrapped around the axle about ridiculous shit that I'm amazed you don't just DQ yourselves before showing up.

They aren't interested in keeping your ass there any longer than you are interested in being there any longer than you have to be. If they are going to roll you, it is for good cause. Only touching your toes for 1.8 seconds instead of 2 seconds is not cause to roll someone (unless you are 'targeted', as mentioned above).

Just reach down, grab your damn toes and suck it up for a couple of seconds. If you rip your damn hamstrings out, come back here and let me know. I'll apologize for the bad gouge at that time.

SC-NY-88

FNG
None
A lot has been said about alarm clocks with regards to no radio function, that part I get. However, the OCS website says a battery powered alarm clock...no outlets available at OCS? Are corded clocks not allowed?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
A lot has been said about alarm clocks with regards to no radio function, that part I get. However, the OCS website says a battery powered alarm clock...no outlets available at OCS? Are corded clocks not allowed?

They have outlets but you'd have to unplug them everyday since you can't have crap on your desk during the day unless specifically told to. Just bring a battery powered one that you can toss into a drawer.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
They have outlets but you'd have to unplug them everyday since you can't have crap on your desk during the day unless specifically told to. Just bring a battery powered one that you can toss into a drawer.

Plus many alarm clocks have a battery backup in case of power loss. I wouldn't worry about trying to find a battery operated one. I bought my current one for $7 in 2001 and it has been awsome! It shouldn't be hard to find. ;)

m26

Contributor

This may have worked then, but i'm heading out to OCS in January and i'm sure it is going to matter there. I haven't been able to touch my toes since I was a kid.

I've been worried about this since before I even enlisted. EVERY time I ask about it, I hear, "umm... idk. I've never heard of anyone failing that."

It'll be interesting for our class (looks like we have the same OCS date), since I'm absolutely certain of failing. So I guess we'll get our answer.

The one exception was the CPO at my recruiting officer, who insists that failing that in the fleet results in mandatory remedial fitness training (something like twice a week). Eek.

I talked to my recruiter, and I ended up going to a sports med doc, then subsequently physical therapy. I've improved, but there is a better chance of a snowball fight in hell than me ever touching my toes, so the idea is that with the doc and PT I might be able to get it waived. I'll find out soon.

Lucy

Is it a leg length versus torso length issue, such as you literally don't have a long enough torso to reach your toes? Or is it a back flexability or leg flexibility or a combination of both?

m26

Contributor
Tough to say. Probably all of that. Doc says tight hamstrings, which is an understatement, but I can't even sit with my legs extended. I'm already at a recline of almost 45 degrees. It's literally an ab exercise just to sit like that. So I move a decent amount just to be able to grab my shins (which is still more than I could do 2 months ago, pre-PT).

Lucy

Whoa, thats a little crazy. Tried Pilates? Like every day until you go... Four weeks 4 days a week went from knees to touching head to floor. Who knows though, worth a shot!

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I have the same issue. Tight hamstrings run in my family. My mom has done yoga for the past decade and still can't touch her toes. There's no chance I will ever be able to.