• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
.. buys a car to fit their personality. If they like to off-road, they get a jeep. if they like to go fast, they get a muscle car. if they have a small penis, they buy a huge lifted truck which serves no logical purpose.

All previous pissing and moaning aside, this made me chuckle, kudos.

Nikki2184

you've gotta get a good low in every category because ALL your scores will go down for the in-pfa at OCS. For me, my run went down the most, almost 2 minutes! If I hadn't been at a good-low before I left, I wouldn't have passes the in-PFA. Trust me, you would much rather spend an extra month training in the comfort of your own home than 2 weeks in H company!

FastMover

NFO
None
you've gotta get a good low in every category because ALL your scores will go down for the in-pfa at OCS. For me, my run went down the most, almost 2 minutes! If I hadn't been at a good-low before I left, I wouldn't have passes the in-PFA. Trust me, you would much rather spend an extra month training in the comfort of your own home than 2 weeks in H company!

Sage advice. I could never understand it when people would show up and fail the in-PRT right off the bat. Everyone should do themselves a favor and be in the good-low category before leaving for OCS. Rolling to H right off the bat is not the way to start your time in Newport.

bbf7b2

pilot
Since today was so beautiful and I didn't have any students, and being filled with the excitement of being selected by the August board, I decided to fly a little cross-country to Newport. Coming into the airport I looked all over the base for little groups of khaki or blue figures marching or PTing but I didn't see anything. This might have been because I had no idea where to look for them and the only things I recognized were two aircraft carriers, a football field, and a baseball field. This is all an unbearably long context for my question which is at OCS do we use either of those fields for group sports or is all of our exercise of a punitive nature?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The track and football field are for Naval Academy Pre School (NAPS) students. PT is Non-punitive PT occurs at 0500 on the large grass field across from the gym (which contains a baseball field), so unless you were driving around at the crack of dawn you wouldn't see a mass group of candidates running around.

There are no "group sports" at OCS.

Nikki2184

Group sports? Ahh...that's cute. NO. The closest to a "group sport" that you will get is bear crawling around the baseball field as a class for gear adrift. The nice football field is for the Naval Acadament Prep School. You won't step foot on it unless you have an outdoor graduation. You do play a softball game against the staff the week you graduate...but that is it. If you fly over around 0530 you'll see the whole regiment on the baseball, which we call the PT field cause that's all you do on it, doing morning "dynamic stretches".

bbf7b2

pilot
I guess that was the answer I was expecting, it's just that from above the whole thing sort of looked like a college campus or an office park. I was kind of expecting something a little more intimidating. (I guess that's what the DIs are for)

Nikki2184

It's OCS, not a concentration camp...were you expecting barbed wire? Realistically, you don't hang out outside too much. You'd have to time it exactly right to see anything worthwhile just by flying over. And, you have to remember that Newport is home to ODS, STA-21, Boost and the Navy Prep Academy. So, to those people it is pretty much a college, or in one case high school, campus.

nugget61

pilot

Now I'm confused - good low in all categories before OCS, but for the in-pfa you only need a good low average of the 3? (Im assuming that if you were only good-low before ocs and fell to sat range for the run at the in-pfa).

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Now I'm confused - good low in all categories before OCS, but for the in-pfa you only need a good low average of the 3? (Im assuming that if you were only good-low before ocs and fell to sat range for the run at the in-pfa).

All you need for the IN-PFA is a sat-med...but you'll never get that if you can't get a good low in all categories before OCS. If you can't get a good low in push-ups, for instance, your chances of getting zero'd out for the IN-PFA are high. In fact, I would say the number one cause of PFA failures is push-ups, and most of those people fail because they get zero'd out or they hit the deck.

Best way to make sure you don't get zero'd is to take a pair of balled up socks and stick them under your chest. When you do push-ups make sure your chest hits the socks before going up. Also, make sure to practice with your head UP and not down. And keep your back straight, for the love of God.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Seriously, do not screw up the in pfa. It will NOT be like the PFA you did in the fleet or with your recruiter. Do not let the person you are partnered with that day fail either...