• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

nugget61

pilot
Last year there was no December board. Good thing was, they took a ton of people in the January boards last year if I recall.

Actually it was quite the opposite - they still had the 50 apps to a board rule and they were backlogged for a few months till they broke the dam in March or April I thought.
I guess it doesnt really matter though - not much would happen in december had I been selected in Nov vs Jan

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None

They really don't care that much from what I remember. One of my roommates (back when we had 4 to a room) bought these ugly ass running shoes for the inspection that had no laces. His thinking was that if they had no laces, he couldn't screw up the laces for the inspection. I think the DI gave him a "hit" anyway since the OCR tells you how to lace shoes...or something like that. I was busy pushing with my skivvies on my head when it happened.

EDIT: Those are some ugly ass shoes, though.

Boomhower

None
I don't know if anyone ever has(still waiting to go myself), but my take on it is this. Don't do, wear, or react to anything that has a chance at making you receive unwanted attention. My reaction is to the color options.

Probably good advice. Those things will have the DI calling you Dorothy for your entire stay at OCS.

RabidMoose

Yeah my recruiter mentioned the indoc phase is now 3 weeks, for when ill be going in december. I dont really know how its going to work, but he said hes got a guy graduating in early november and hes going to schedule a lunch meeting for the 3 of us and he can fill me in, unless someone beats me to it here.

Side note question. I searched for the "briefs" posts. and im still confused, are boxer briefs allowed during normal days and the as i call em, old school briefs used for inspection only?

Yes the indoc phase is now 3 weeks, they are starting 100 person classes in a few weeks and they will be splitting them up to compete against each other. They are trying to put most of the militarization in during those 3 weeks. I would not bother bringing boxer briefs. Being that you will probably always be wearing sweat bottoms you could potentially get away with it but I know they gave us a pretty hard time with them. I ended up using mine as dust rags.

damcrac

Final Select NFO
My question is about the process of moving from Newport to Pensacola.
I am flying to Newport for OCS. I've seen people say that they had as little as 3 days to check in to Pensacola. My question is about how I am going to get my personal belongings and vehicle to Pensacola. I know there are a lot of possibilities, but just need to know a couple of options that others have experienced.

Boomhower

None
I've seen people say that they had as little as 3 days to check in to Pensacola.

That can't be right, can it? This is a PCS move, they should give you more than enough time to get to P-Cola. Was it pilots that had 3 days to get there? That would make more sense since they are not PCSing to Pensacola. As an NFO, they should give you more time.

Someone back me up, here. I did OCS and API in Pensacola, so I am outdated. It was just a walk across the street for me to check in.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
That can't be right, can it? This is a PCS move, they should give you more than enough time to get to P-Cola. Was it pilots that had 3 days to get there? That would make more sense since they are not PCSing to Pensacola. As an NFO, they should give you more time.

Someone back me up, here. I did OCS and API in Pensacola, so I am outdated. It was just a walk across the street for me to check in.

When I commissioned (June 2009) , pilots didn't have a PCS. That being said, our proceed time was about 4 days. You didn't HAVE to show up then, you could just take leave and show up by your REPORT NLT date. If you chose to do that you would just be deducted the leave you accrued while at OCS.

I went to Oklahoma City to see family and friends and get a few things before I drove to Pensacola. I stayed in OKC for about 7 days and just had it docked upon my arrival.

damcrac

Final Select NFO
When I commissioned (June 2009) , pilots didn't have a PCS. That being said, our proceed time was about 4 days. You didn't HAVE to show up then, you could just take leave and show up by your REPORT NLT date. If you chose to do that you would just be deducted the leave you accrued while at OCS.

I went to Oklahoma City to see family and friends and get a few things before I drove to Pensacola. I stayed in OKC for about 7 days and just had it docked upon my arrival.

I guess it will be based upon if I get PCS'd or not. I won't be able to take any leave saying that I will be in the negative from holiday leave while at ocs...

Whats the difference between proceed time and Report NLT?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I guess it will be based upon if I get PCS'd or not. I won't be able to take any leave saying that I will be in the negative from holiday leave while at ocs...

Whats the difference between proceed time and Report NLT?

Proceed time is time that they have calculated for you to arrive at your next destination. This will not be charged leave. Sometimes Report NLT than times are a month or so out and if you exceed your proceed time but still arrive before your Report NLT date, you can be charged leave.

As a pilot you will NOT be getting PCS, only NFO's get PCS contrary to the rumor mill.