• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
Good to know. Sounds like the appropriate answer to give my parents is "You will not hear from me. Get used to it."

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
Good to know. Sounds like the appropriate answer to give my parents is "You will not hear from me. Get used to it."

i called home every week, its very much possible.

and on vehicle runs i could call anyone i wanted to with my cell phone, just make sure you've got a car charger.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

Trust me, you will want to call home. Hearing encouraging words from your parents is a great thing when you're in the middle of the suck. If your parents are assholes and likely to laugh and make fun of what you're going through, skip the call. :D

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
facial hair when arriving?

Very absurd question, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

I have a very long goatee right now. Would I catch heat for having it upon arrival at OCS? I'll probably shave it anyway right before leaving. Does it matter much?

Stupid question thread ftw.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Remember, the less you stick out, the better off you are. I had a beard before reporting.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Very absurd question, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

I have a very long goatee right now. Would I catch heat for having it upon arrival at OCS? I'll probably shave it anyway right before leaving. Does it matter much?

Stupid question thread ftw.

Why would you want to give the DI's and Candios the satisfaction of giving you a hard time about it. The goatee will set you apart from everyone else right off the bat. I would not advise that. Lose it before you show up, you'll be glad you did.

Tennessee

What are some drawbacks?

Guys,

I have been getting ready to apply for OCS, take the ASTB, go through MEPS, and the whole nine yards. Obviously, the more I think about it, the more excited I get.

But, recently I have been wondering what are some drawbacks that I may not see? I understand that everything initially seems cool and all that, but I need to face reality, and not think that flying is perfect in every single way possible.

I am very serious about becoming a naval officer, and I would like to understand as much about it as possible before I 100% make up my mind about naval aviation.

I would really appreciate any advice that you guys think I should know.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
A never ending amount of studying, moving every couple of years, long days, getting up for 0500 briefs, deployments, living on a boat....

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The learning literally never stops. Once you get comfortable in a plane in the TRACOM they throw you into a new one...then you get to the RAG. I've moved 5 times in 2 years. You get to jump thru your ass sometimes for reasons that may not be readily apparent. There's a constant fear/threat of failure (at least for me...its why I try to avoid it). My hair is turning gray at 24.

But you get wings and get to fly. Worth it.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Well, that's a pretty broad question.

Drawbacks? OCS sucks and you will probably walk away with some sort of physical pain or respiratory contamination that you didn't show up with.

Somebody else can comment on flying for/with the Navy since my experience at this point is limited. As far as flying goes in general, it's something I would suggest trying before you show up here. A lot of guys goto flight school without ever having set foot in a small plane. You might hate it. You might get airsick. Who knows. You might not like flying for hours on end stuck in a small confined space. Even just flying back and forth between CA and AZ in a small Cessna can be tiring...I can't imagine what it's like when you wear your airplane.

And of course it's always good to consider how your personal relationships (or lackthereof) will be affected. MasterBates?

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
There's a constant fear/threat of failure.

Listen to this guy.

Just remember that everything that is worth having in life is tough to get.

The stress/threat of failure, moving every year, studying harder than you ever have before, the absolute agony that was OCS (most of the time anyhow).... Being the guy that doesn't know anything, and the second he has a clue, gets shipped off to somewhere else where once again, he knows nothing.

The road to this point (for me anyhow) I would describe as for every 200 hours of tough as nails work (when you factor in OCS, API, Primary, Advanced), you get 1 hour of pure awe and bliss.

The 200 hours consisted of cold-as-a-mother-f**ker mornings at 0500 (after getting 3 hours of sleep) in Newport Rhode Island doing pushups and running until the sun came up for weeks on end, having 12 hour days + 3-4 hours of studying on top for months in Primary, doing it all over again in Advanced...

All for that one hour... The hour I'm talking about is strapping on a $20+ million jet, by yourself, to go rendezvous and join up with 3 other aircraft over south Texas. Or hopping in the T-6, going out in to the MOA, and doing loops, barrel rolls and aileron rolls until your eyeballs fall out, solo. The second you are up there by yourself for the first time, and its quiet, you really start to put things in perspective: I am getting paid to do this.

There's nothing quite like it... Was it at many times painful? Hell yes. Was it worth it? Hell yes.

I haven't talked to a single naval aviator that didn't love what they did. Helos, P-3s, E-6s, F-18s, every single one I've ever come across, LOVED what they flew and wouldn't trade it for anything.

I think it takes a balanced person to make it in to this profession... You have to really force yourself to look through the tough times for the reward later on... Trust me, the reward is there... Focus on it.

My .01. I don't have my wings yet or fleet experience.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just remember that everything that is worth having in life is tough to get.

This.

There's downsides to every job in the world, dude. Otherwise they wouldn't pay you to do it, right? I guarantee you right now, somewhere, there's a guy slathering baby oil on a bikini model and thinking about how tired he is of this bullshit and can't wait to quit.

OCS sucks - it's designed to suck. But it's just the indoctrination and training part of becoming an officer. It doesn't last forever, and barring any serious injury, you'll make it through as long as you've got the desire and drive.

As for Naval Aviation? Sure, there are better days than others. Flight school is a long slog and it's a whole hell of a lot of work, but like GS said, everything worth doing is. Being in the Fleet likewise has its good days and bad. The Boat sucks in general, and the shitty little ground jobs are no fun. Being deployed is exciting and you're on the pointy end of the stick, but you've also got family at home that's either missing you or they're not - either way, it's a problem. There are some really long boring days of flying, but flying's still fucking awesome. The people you work with are some of the greatest Americans around.

I'm about ready to hang it up, at least in the Regulars. The prospect of going 'backsheep' isn't doing it for me and I don't want to miss any of my baby girl growing up. But has it been fun? Has it been worth all the hassles? Oh fuck yeah, a million times over.

Short

None
Drawbacks? It's sometimes a burden (as a Naval Aviation community) to be this awesome. Also, it may be difficult to find underwear large enough to accomodate your huge stones after you get winged.

turbobore

Every job has drawbacks. However, the bigest is: If you are married and have kids the time away from your family. Other than that is all minor shit. Getting up at 2am for those middle of the night missions. Standing the middle of the night duty watches. Pre-flighting your aircraft in the Med. when it's 100 degrees and you are soaking wet from sweat by the time you strap in. No matter what your rank there is always one dip shit above you somewhere. The possiblity of crashing and burning.

However, the fun, excitment, exclusivity, friendships all out weigh the drawbacks. I remember one beautiful cool morning in Rosy Rhodes walking out to the airplane with my gear on, watching the sun rise thinking, the navy is actually allowing me to do this!

Go to the Brooke Army Medical Center Burn unit in San Antonio and visit with the Marines and Soliders who are recovering and see what a REAL drawback is! One visit there and you will never have another complaint again!