• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I have a stupid question:

Directly from NKO's OCS PFT course

Is this legit because all I've heard was you can only rest in the up position (if you want to call that resting)
I always used to sneak a quick breath or two in the down position. As with most things in OCS, just do it when no one is looking. Laying on the ground panting and moaning for 10 seconds is an easy way to get attention (which eventually leads to losing some reps).

As for the knowledge bags being kept, that is because you have to pay for them. They are basically a laptop bag and isn't that bad (I used mine during API).

nonsequitur

Yes they are reused until they are basically rags (seriously, mine was held together with safety pins).

You WILL smell like piss/shit/sweat/stale chow after about 5 minutes in the suit.

And yes the "knowledge bags" are still used from god knows how many decades ago. You will spend all the time you are in academics reapplying taped nametags to them and they will fall off repeatedly. And if your class is extra special, you will get to fill your bags with sand. :D

awesome:icon_smil

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
The bags are new now and you can keep them, but DIs now have the option or had the option I guess of choosing snow or sand.
As far as curls ups go Tiz, just don't rest, trust me on this one.

Concurr. Speed-rep to 105 and take a knee is the fastest way to end the mayhem...until pushups. Of course, taking 2 good breaths or so in the down position when you are at 85 and have been going steady probably won't bring the wrath.

Also, if a DI walks up behind you and puts their boot near your shoulder to see if you are going down all the way (pretty much guaranteed if you start off fast), slam your shoulders to the deck for 5 reps or so until they are satisfied.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Concurr. Speed-rep to 105 and take a knee is the fastest way to end the mayhem...until pushups. Of course, taking 2 good breaths or so in the down position when you are at 85 and have been going steady probably won't bring the wrath.

Also, if a DI walks up behind you and puts their boot near your shoulder to see if you are going down all the way (pretty much guaranteed if you start off fast), slam your shoulders to the deck for 5 reps or so until they are satisfied.

And for the love of GOD, candidates... DO NOT be a drama queen. Ya, you hurt. Pushups suck. Situps suck. But DO NOT be panting and cringing super hard and moaning and stuff. DIs HATE this. It is a sign of weakness (they literally told us this many times)

Renegade One

None
Re: "A Look at OCS Courtesy of the Providence Journal":

Wow...whatever happened to the regimental parades as part of the graduation ceremony? Looks like the rest of the Regiment isn't involved at all. Used to be a big part of selecting "Honor Batt" was the weekly performance at Parade. I seem to recall spending many, many hours during Officer Candidate Week practicing sword drill and all the hoo-hah for the parade. Kind of an enjoyable part of the experience... Oh, well...dating myself, I guess.

V/R, Spike

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Re: "A Look at OCS Courtesy of the Providence Journal":

Wow...whatever happened to the regimental parades as part of the graduation ceremony? Looks like the rest of the Regiment isn't involved at all. Used to be a big part of selecting "Honor Batt" was the weekly performance at Parade. I seem to recall spending many, many hours during Officer Candidate Week practicing sword drill and all the hoo-hah for the parade. Kind of an enjoyable part of the experience... Oh, well...dating myself, I guess.

V/R, Spike

Well you're not dating yourself very far because we did that 8 months ago at NASP.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
One of the (many) drawbacks of Newport. No real parade ground, so make do with a tiny gym. Still, the people who have swords drill a good amount.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I'm pretty sure they're re-used time and again. I'm also pretty sure they aren't washed all of indoc week...just adds to the stinkiness of OCS :D. Are the old nasty book bags still used too?

This is also why the "chrome-domes" are not so chrome anymore.

I remember stripping our racks, throwing it into a big pile, and then getting to re-make them using someone elses sheets. You never knew what stains you might be sleeping on. We also got to exchange our poopie suits with each other.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Just wait until you have 5 dudes crossing swords around 1 urinal when you have 3 minutes to hit the head....:D

Been there, done that. :sleep_125 courtesy of the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets. I tried not to break my bearing when I remembered the quote from Ghostbusters "Don't cross the streams!!"

ghostbusters_streams.jpg

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
^^ Woops, you beat me to it, and obviously I didn't finish reading the thread. Excuse me while I kick myself in the vajayjay.
oprah_wideweb__470x312,2.jpg