• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Givemeinfo

It's all class team dependent. We didn't get vitamins, cough drops until after Drill Comp (then again we stacked bodies in drill). Other classes didn't get anything until Candio phase unless they had a chit.
Excuse my ignorance but what is a chit?

Spookcumber

It's the all encompassing word for an official document that your chain of command signs off on authorizing or approving of things - special liberty chit, no shave chit, out of bounds chit, special request chit, etc. It's important paper trail "proof" that everyone in your chain of command is aware and are okay with certain things.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
A signed piece of paper giving you permission to do something. Most commonly used for leave and special liberty, but can be used for other special circumstances as well, e.g. a no shave chit gives you permission to not have to shave.

The background for vitamins: The staff doesn't want people putting anything funky into their body while you're under a relatively strenuous (and new for many people) PT program. While a 'one-a-day' multivitamin isn't going to kill you, there will be some candidate somewhere who decides to push the envelope with something that has caffeine or other such stimulant and then has problems during an RPT session. So they just say no outright.

They also made us eat a big bowl of vegetables at lunch/dinner, and drink a 16 oz glass of OJ at breakfast, so you're not going to be vitamin deficient if they still do that, and any staff member who remotely knows anything about nutrition will know that.

Givemeinfo

It's the all encompassing word for an official document that your chain of command signs off on authorizing or approving of things - special liberty chit, no shave chit, out of bounds chit, special request chit, etc. It's important paper trail "proof" that everyone in your chain of command is aware and are okay with certain things.
A signed piece of paper giving you permission to do something. Most commonly used for leave and special liberty, but can be used for other special circumstances as well, e.g. a no shave chit gives you permission to not have to shave.

The background for vitamins: The staff doesn't want people putting anything funky into their body while you're under a relatively strenuous (and new for many people) PT program. While a 'one-a-day' multivitamin isn't going to kill you, there will be some candidate somewhere who decides to push the envelope with something that has caffeine or other such stimulant and then has problems during an RPT session. So they just say no outright.

They also made us eat a big bowl of vegetables at lunch/dinner, and drink a 16 oz glass of OJ at breakfast, so you're not going to be vitamin deficient if they still do that, and any staff member who remotely knows anything about nutrition will know that.

Thank you for the explanations, makes a lot more sense now

Lasoiree

I think board on stupid questions about Ocs would apply to my question. Attention recent OCS graduates or those with friends who recently passed. Is the bathroom private attached to each room or is there a main gym style multishower and restroom facility? How much time do you get to shower in the morning, or do you shower at night, or both?

Thank you.

VCipollone

Officer Candidate
I think board on stupid questions about Ocs would apply to my question. Attention recent OCS graduates or those with friends who recently passed. Is the bathroom private attached to each room or is there a main gym style multishower and restroom facility? How much time do you get to shower in the morning, or do you shower at night, or both?

Thank you.

To add on to that, how long do you get for your morning routine (shower, shave, etc...)?

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

Thank you.

They used to have the big nasty bathrooms up until around April 2013. Since then, you and your roommate will share a toilet and a sink, and your room will be connected suite-style to another room by a shower space (two showers).

Your routines will go quickly, especially in your first week or two. I think you and your roommate will have something like 10 minutes to wake up, hygiene and be outside your room in the appropriate uniform.

VCipollone

Officer Candidate
But you can get up earlier if you want/shower at night, right? My biggest concern is slicing my face up like a slasher flick with a subpar shave.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
But you can get up earlier if you want/shower at night, right? My biggest concern is slicing my face up like a slasher flick with a subpar shave.

You can take care of stuff at night as long as your shave holds out well enough (for some, including myself, it didn't). As for getting up early—that depends on the alarm clock policy. It seems to vary by class, and I don't know what the latest word is. I didn't have an alarm clock until Week 4 or 5.

WEGL12

VT-28
To add on to that, how long do you get for your morning routine (shower, shave, etc...)?

Shower, Shave, get NWUs ready before you go to bed and sleep in PT gear. We normally had five minutes after first waking up to be back out ready for PT. Doing everything the night before helps out a lot. Pretty much you just have to touch up shaving brush your teeth, and get your mind right for the rest of the day.

Also this really only applies after the first two weeks. During the first two weeks the DI/Candios are waking you up so the time in the morning differs from day to day.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
I had a full beard for years. Since getting the Pro-Rec, I've been shaving every day to try to get my face used to it. I'm still in the "slasher flick" stage, but hopefully I'll get over that before heading to OCS...

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
So reading about the gouge packet, I have learned and memorized the general orders of a sentry, code of conduct, chain of command, sailors creed, navy hymn, marine hymn, anchors aweigh.. what else do i need to know before going? I read a lot about the insignias and ranks, is that something that needs to be memorized before going? Also the vocabulary and phonetic alphabet, is that important to learn before hand as well?

Last edited:

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
So reading about the gigue packet, I have learned and memorized the general orders of a sentry, code of conduct, chain of command, sailors creed, navy hymn, marine hymn, anchors aweigh.. what else do i need to know before going? I read a lot about the insignias and ranks, is that something that needs to be memorized before going? Also the vocabulary and phonetic alphabet, is that important to learn before hand as well?
I'm memorizing the whole thing (minus the chain of command, which I'll pick up with the actual names when I get there). It might be overkill, but I figure that "Sorry, sir, someone on the internet told me I didn't need to know that" might not go over too well...

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Ranks and insignia, yes, it'd help to know them before you go, although you can just work there if you're already good on everything else. Phonetic alphabet would also be good, at least be able to spell your name, hometown, and college mascot using phonetics. That's usually how they ask it.