• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

I am currently active duty and I wear the Navy Certified Rocky S2V coyote brown steel toe boot with my NWU Type III and I wear the Rocky S2V steal toe black boot with my NWU Type I. I wear those because the Bates and the Belleville's give me feet problems. Given that they are Navy regulation boots would they fuss if I tried to wear those instead of paying for some at the OCS gear issue boots?
Rocky S2V All Leather Black Boot 6202.jpg

BleedGreen

pilot
Just bring them with you and ask the ladies at the uniform shop or your class team. Worse case scenario, they sit in your coffin locker until you graduate. That space is not inspected during any of the graded evolutions.

My question is in reference to BAH while at OCS...

(For the AD folks) If I am already receiving BAH (single) because I still have an active lease...will I continue to receive my BAH while in RI? My current command says that I "should" because OCS is not considered a PCS move. I just want to verify if this is correct/incorrect information so that i can plan accordingly. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

WEGL12

VT-28
My question is in reference to BAH while at OCS...

(For the AD folks) If I am already receiving BAH (single) because I still have an active lease...will I continue to receive my BAH while in RI? My current command says that I "should" because OCS is not considered a PCS move. I just want to verify if this is correct/incorrect information so that i can plan accordingly. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Pretty sure if you are AD you keep getting BAH. You will lose BAS but unless it has changed you will keep getting BAH for the area of your current orders.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
For accounting purposes, NUPOC candidates count as 'enlisted' until they commission. I kept my BAH, which was calculated based on my NRD location, throughout OCS. Priors kept their BAH, too. So unless something has changed, you should keep receiving BAH as a prior enlisted candidate. You can try to contact the PSD in Newport for a more official answer.

Pretty sure if you are AD you keep getting BAH. You will lose BAS but unless it has changed you will keep getting BAH for the area of your current orders.

For accounting purposes, NUPOC candidates count as 'enlisted' until they commission. I kept my BAH, which was calculated based on my NRD location, throughout OCS. Priors kept their BAH, too. So unless something has changed, you should keep receiving BAH as a prior enlisted candidate. You can try to contact the PSD in Newport for a more official answer.

Thanks for the information. That sounds great!

WEGL12

VT-28
So how does the logistics go for driving to OCS, since it is not a PCS move? Do they give you money for storage, etc?

When I went, I just got paid for my travel from Newport to Pensacola. Once I check into primary I should get the allowance for moving everything down here since it's considered a PCS move. When going through the out brief at OCS I recommend doing advance travel. Gives you the travel money within a month instead of waiting until you get your actual PCS orders. My experience is based on SNA since it varies some from different communities.

SaltyDawg85

Ok, so I'm solid on ranks and insignias for officers and enlisted but the warrant officers are hurting my brain. How much will they grill you on those and will I be expected to give the verbal description of their insignias and collar devices verbatim??

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Ok, so I'm solid on ranks and insignias for officers and enlisted but the warrant officers are hurting my brain. How much will they grill you on those and will I be expected to give the verbal description of their insignias and collar devices verbatim??
Depends who you get. I never learned them and got by fine, but if you get asked for RLP and don't know them, "down up aye aye sir."

Spookcumber

I know it's not the same, butI was having the same issue when I was learning them for boot camp...decided I'd just take the hit and make sure I knew the other stuff solid. Ha I've actually only met 3 so far in my career. And, from everyone I've talked to, I feel like many people in the Navy don't know the warrant ranks very well.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I know it's not the same, but I was having the same issue when I was learning them for boot camp...decided I'd just take the hit and make sure I knew the other stuff solid. Ha I've actually only met 3 so far in my career. And, from everyone I've talked to, I feel like many people in the Navy don't know the warrant ranks very well.
One taught the gun safety course while I was there. He was a W-5 who insisted we call him "Gunner." He was so chill. His brown leather belt on his NWU's was so out of regs that my officer candidate head nearly imploded.