• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Zeppelin89

If you're in-shape enough to run a tough mudder, then you're in-shape enough to pass OCS with a normal pair of cross-training sneakers.
Good to know. I could barely move the day after that Mudder. I can do 75ish curl-ups and close to 65 push ups in the 2 minute mark. I've got my 1.5 mile down to 11 minutes and change on average. However, I read on here that at times it can go 4+ miles which is usually the max. I am struggling with shin splints on pavement when running and have trouble getting that high. One of my friends mentioned compression sleeves for my legs but something tells me they would be frowned upon at OCS. Even if they were allowed, I wouldn't want to be the one guy rocking those when I met the DI. However, I still have 3 months to get in best shape possible.

I also read on here that ibuprofen is available while you're in. I suppose worst case scenario I pop a couple of those in the morning before PT and tough it out.

PrudasJiest

Haze Gray
Thank you to everybody who answered my shoes question, and to the guy who bumped/reiterated it. I'll probably come up with a few more in the coming weeks

I noticed the OCS website stated to bring my spouse's original social security card, birth certificate, and our marriage license. Is this all stuff I need when checking in or can my spouse bring it in upon graduation to get her setup for DEERS? (I think that's what it is called). When speaking with my NRD I have gotten a wide range of explanations as to what to bring and it is a bit confusing. My wife wants to get a new passport while I'm gone, which will be difficult if I run off with her birth certificate and social security card.

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
Good to know. I could barely move the day after that Mudder. I can do 75ish curl-ups and close to 65 push ups in the 2 minute mark. I've got my 1.5 mile down to 11 minutes and change on average. However, I read on here that at times it can go 4+ miles which is usually the max. I am struggling with shin splints on pavement when running and have trouble getting that high. One of my friends mentioned compression sleeves for my legs but something tells me they would be frowned upon at OCS. Even if they were allowed, I wouldn't want to be the one guy rocking those when I met the DI. However, I still have 3 months to get in best shape possible.

I also read on here that ibuprofen is available while you're in. I suppose worst case scenario I pop a couple of those in the morning before PT and tough it out.

For the shin splints problem, go with ASICS or Brooks shoes. BEST damn shoes I've ever had on my feet, and they drastically helped me out on proper running form, and have some serious cushioning for long distance runners.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
You don't really need a huge chunk of change since most the items you'll be purchasing you'll be able to put on credit and pay whenever you're checking out. I'd recommend having a few hundred dollars available just in case though.

You'll need at least a few hundred bucks to cover all your class PT gear, challenge coins, Hi Moms, etc etc. A lot of people were surprised by how much they spent on stuff like that.

Gave outdated info I guess. All running while I was there was on the road or in the gym. I actually have never done a PRT on a track period -- usually on a road but sometimes on a trail. I also hear they banned bear crawling because responses on the safety survey indicated that goos poop is not part of a nutritional diet and too many people were getting knee pains from crashing into each other.

Bear crawling is alive and well, as others have said.

Now that it is summer(ish), PT is being done at 530 instead of 1030, and there is more road/cadence running going on. But when it was at 1030 it was all on the track or inside, with the exception of victory run.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I noticed the OCS website stated to bring my spouse's original social security card, birth certificate, and our marriage license. Is this all stuff I need when checking in or can my spouse bring it in upon graduation to get her setup for DEERS? (I think that's what it is called). When speaking with my NRD I have gotten a wide range of explanations as to what to bring and it is a bit confusing. My wife wants to get a new passport while I'm gone, which will be difficult if I run off with her birth certificate and social security card.
I already had her in DEERS prior to OCS, but my suggestion (as shit gets tossed and you may get water/aftershave damage) is to bring COPIES of said paperwork. You will be filling out page 2 and DEERS paperwork, so having her SSN is important. My wife was able to get a dependant ID while I was in boot camp in 2004 at Great Mistakes by taking copies of my orders, her SSN Card, Birth Certificate and Drivers License to Camp Dodge in Des Moines, IA (US Army National Guard Base) so it can be done without you.
Pickle

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

You will need to run faster, do more pushups and situps, and figure out the shin-splints before you get there. I actually saw more guys struggle with formation running (which is slower) than the regular run (at pace) due to being crammed on your toes/always having tobrake for the guy in front of you. You will run your IN PRT and will be assigned to a running group according to your time...oh, and a quick hint: don't fuck your buddy on the push-up/sit-up count. Know the minimum going in that day and you should know your buddy's minimum (hint, don't use the exact number)
Pickle

Zeppelin89

Seems pretty straight forward. Was someone doing that? And I thought you weren't allowed to stop, that you had to keep going for 2 minutes?

BackOrdered

Contributor
Seems pretty straight forward. Was someone doing that? And I thought you weren't allowed to stop, that you had to keep going for 2 minutes?

If you know the guy is getting ready to tap out at 44 and needs more and he is so caught up that he thinks he is doing well and isn't, be vigilant and make sure he has SA on his progress.

I was big on making sure my partner did REAL pushups and situps from the word go. I held them to that and expected the same on my turn. If I was being sloppy, I wanted to be corrected. Sometimes the DIs will hover directly over you and if you were doing sloppy reps the whole time, get ready to get screwed. The Black Ninja is gone but still I hear cases of DIs zeroing people's counts.

Zeppelin89

Fair enough. I've been doing a pretty full workout of pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups and running with some swimming and the occasional lift here and there. I plan on doing a practice PFT in a week or 2 to gauge my improvement. I hope to e able to easily pass the in PFT going in.

On a side note, a recruiter said I should took an entire month off of running except for a light half mile to rest my feet if I get shin splints. That seems a bit much.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
What do you mean by fuck my buddy's count? Mess up the count of how many he does?
So, as long as your guy pushes for two minutes, and doesn't suck so bad he gets the "personal help" from a DI, then he got enough. You will be extremely stressed by the time you get to the PRT, many threads here to tell you how. Your normal, unstressed, push-up number will not be what you get to after a "vigorous" warmup and several days of OCS "fun." You will have MANY opportunities to help your classmates, this is one of them. Don't be the guy who says "Well, you did fifty, the the DI said don't count a few, so you have forty-two."

BackOrdered

Contributor
On a side note, a recruiter said I should took an entire month off of running except for a light half mile to rest my feet if I get shin splints. That seems a bit much.

There are resistance band stretches that you can do to strengthen the muscle groups. See your physician. I did some craziness involving a lot of resistance band stretches, icing, compression and Tums pills and years later I never get them, even after I slack off for months underway. Again see your physician and get a referral to a physical therapist. Shin splits aren't something you are doomed to get if you strengthen those areas with the proper care and work outs.