• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
How does that happen?

Usually some kind of borderline thing medical wise that they run extra tests for and determine your NPQ by then end of it. Does it suck? Yes, but it happens. Usually they'll get choices for different designators (NFO, SWO, SuppO, Intel, etc) or have the option to DOR before commissioning. "You pays your moneys and you takes your chances".

I'll just reiterate what a lot of folks say here. Taking NFO is a helluva lot better option than taking the haze gray and underway option of SWO. One of my good friends from OCS is suffering on an FFG because he was too proud to take an NFO slot.

EWU12

"That's a true fact"
pilot
Contributor
SNA to NFO was 100% eyes. No surprise. Most found out within a few weeks of being there and just wanted to go NAVAIR. Basically, "Roger that, Good to go".

Gouge I've heard is on the USMC side of the house you have to be NAMI approved before even beginning OCS on a air contract. Obviously it would expensive for the Navy to implement that policy, but there were some seriously shady NPQ's I've seen. Obviously medical can't be helped sometimes, but no kidding:

1. Guy is accepted BDCP SNA for couple years before coming to OCS. Finishes up his 12 weeks, NAMI letter never comes, gets no-go for anthro. After being in the process for 2 years. Didn't grow an inch.

2. SNA admits to taking Ridalin or something like that on occasion in college to cram for finals. #1 in academic scores in his OCS class. 3.7-something GPA from a prestigious East-Coast private school. NPQ'd two days before commissioning for having ADHD or whatever. Was accepted into Intel. The irony kills me to this day.

3. SNA had allergies as a kid. Never been diagnosed by any doctor as having asthma. Passed all the breathing tests (forget exactly what they're called) twice. NPQ'd for asthma. Found out the day before commissioning.

4. SWO is accepted BDCP for 2 years before OCS. NPQ'd from naval service after 7 weeks because he took accutane in high school. The doctor later told him at check-out he/she regretted NPQ'ing him.

I can see how this can go on. The Navy has no money invested in these students at this point, so it's no cost to them to cut them loose or notify them at the last second of their medical decision. But on the other side, people make huge life decisions prior to coming to OCS. I understand, its the "system". However, I think the situation can and should be helped.

For OCS selectees, I don't know, talk to your recruiter and see if you can get a copy of the full NAMI physical prior to coming to Newport and pay to have a doc check you out. At least have a clear(ish) view of what might be coming down the pipe prior to shipping out.

$.02 coming from a lowly ENS. At this point I should probably be told to STFU and study my pubs.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
STFU and study your pubs...

Kidding (partially). You are only getting the side of the story of your buddies who are ticked at being NPQ'd. I've gotten a handful of these stories from NPQ folks looking to get back in the pipeline - the story has always (minus one) been different when I chat with the NAMI guys. I don't recognize any of the specific cases you mentioned above, but #2 sounds a bit familiar. Should we put folks in aircraft who illegaly pop prescription psychostimulants into the aircraft whenever they feel the need to cram? If it's the case I'm familiar with then there is documentation of extensive pscychostimulant use in HS - a NAMI disqualifier.

My advice for OCS folks on SNA contract who NPQ at Newport: go SNFO and have the case reviewed down in Pensacola. If PQ in Pensacola then notify STUCON and efforts will be made to redesignate the SNFO back to SNA. If "too proud" to go SNFO then enjoy what you get. I'm sure the AIR BOSS (an NFO) won't be upset by the choice.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
SNA to NFO was 100% eyes. No surprise. Most found out within a few weeks of being there and just wanted to go NAVAIR. Basically, "Roger that, Good to go".

Gouge I've heard is on the USMC side of the house you have to be NAMI approved before even beginning OCS on a air contract. Obviously it would expensive for the Navy to implement that policy, but there were some seriously shady NPQ's I've seen. Obviously medical can't be helped sometimes, but no kidding:

1. Guy is accepted BDCP SNA for couple years before coming to OCS. Finishes up his 12 weeks, NAMI letter never comes, gets no-go for anthro. After being in the process for 2 years. Didn't grow an inch.

2. SNA admits to taking Ridalin or something like that on occasion in college to cram for finals. #1 in academic scores in his OCS class. 3.7-something GPA from a prestigious East-Coast private school. NPQ'd two days before commissioning for having ADHD or whatever. Was accepted into Intel. The irony kills me to this day.

3. SNA had allergies as a kid. Never been diagnosed by any doctor as having asthma. Passed all the breathing tests (forget exactly what they're called) twice. NPQ'd for asthma. Found out the day before commissioning.

4. SWO is accepted BDCP for 2 years before OCS. NPQ'd from naval service after 7 weeks because he took accutane in high school. The doctor later told him at check-out he/she regretted NPQ'ing him.

I can see how this can go on. The Navy has no money invested in these students at this point, so it's no cost to them to cut them loose or notify them at the last second of their medical decision. But on the other side, people make huge life decisions prior to coming to OCS. I understand, its the "system". However, I think the situation can and should be helped.

For OCS selectees, I don't know, talk to your recruiter and see if you can get a copy of the full NAMI physical prior to coming to Newport and pay to have a doc check you out. At least have a clear(ish) view of what might be coming down the pipe prior to shipping out.

$.02 coming from a lowly ENS. At this point I should probably be told to STFU and study my pubs.

Do they give you time to decide after you find out you NPQ?

EWU12

"That's a true fact"
pilot
Contributor
Depends on when it comes. If its while you're still in training, ya, you have rest of training to decide. But if its later, I'd say a week tops.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
My advice for OCS folks on SNA contract who NPQ at Newport: go SNFO and have the case reviewed down in Pensacola. If PQ in Pensacola then notify STUCON and efforts will be made to redesignate the SNFO back to SNA. If "too proud" to go SNFO then enjoy what you get. I'm sure the AIR BOSS (an NFO) won't be upset by the choice.

Is there any way you can appeal the NPQ even if you didn't have the option of going NFO? For instance, I was NPQed from flight at OCS but passed a dive physical the next day.

As for what EWU12 was saying, I'm walking proof. I was informed of my NPQ with about a week and a half left of OCS. My best advice is to have ALL -- every last single piece -- of your medical history paperwork in order and ready to go just in case. Also, secure letters from your doctors stating that they think you're fine and should have no issues with whatever conditions you could possibly be found NPQ for. For example, I found a letter from a childhood doctor shortly after being NPQed that would have probably saved me. Unfortunately, it was a day late and a dollar short, and there was no way for me to appeal or fight for a waiver while in Newport.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly that the folks at OTCN just don't care. To them you're a lowly undesignated E5 and all they care about is pushing you through to a commission. That's their job and they don't care whether you have your life's dreams come crashing down in the process.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Is there any way you can appeal the NPQ even if you didn't have the option of going NFO? For instance, I was NPQed from flight at OCS but passed a dive physical the next day.

As for what EWU12 was saying, I'm walking proof. I was informed of my NPQ with about a week and a half left of OCS. My best advice is to have ALL -- every last single piece -- of your medical history paperwork in order and ready to go just in case. Also, secure letters from your doctors stating that they think you're fine and should have no issues with whatever conditions you could possibly be found NPQ for. For example, I found a letter from a childhood doctor shortly after being NPQed that would have probably saved me. Unfortunately, it was a day late and a dollar short, and there was no way for me to appeal or fight for a waiver while in Newport.

This is tougher now that you are outside the AVN lifelines. There is a provision within the LATERAL TRANSFER instruction for a Without Board Action (WOBA) procedure for redesignation if an administrative/medical judgement was made in error. Note that this is not the same as getting a waiver or having a medical condition clear to the point where you are PQ. As I read it, you will need a determination that the original medical decision that made you NPQ was made in error. You would also need support from your current community on this process.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
This is tougher now that you are outside the AVN lifelines. There is a provision within the LATERAL TRANSFER instruction for a Without Board Action (WOBA) procedure for redesignation if an administrative/medical judgement was made in error. Note that this is not the same as getting a waiver or having a medical condition clear to the point where you are PQ. As I read it, you will need a determination that the original medical decision that made you NPQ was made in error. You would also need support from your current community on this process.

Thanks for the information.

Foxtrot20

I'm a bit confused about the uniform items for OCS. Reading through the old posts about stuff to bring to OCS, people seem to recommend bringing extra and/or better shirts and socks. For men, the OTC website currently says to bring only 2 pairs of socks/underwear, while it seems that in the past candidates were required to bring 6 pairs or more of each.

Given the decreased number of items to bring and the fact that OTC seems insistent on the fact that the candidates will be provided [low-quality] gear, would it be better to bring around 8 and just have them taken and stored when you get there?

EWU12

"That's a true fact"
pilot
Contributor
absolutely bring your own gear. get quality athletic socks, white and dark navy blue undershirts, and even though they say its supposed to be plain cotton you could even get away with briefs that have some more comfortable fabric in them (lycra, polyester or whatever). IMO Jockey is the most comfortable stuff and although its a big pricey, the comfort and fit factor will be well worth it. They are gonna issue you cheap crap as well as a whole toiletry bag of pit stick, edge shave cream, foot powder, toothbrush, etc. USE NONE OF IT. It needs to be in brand new condition for your locker inspection during RLP. Just lock it all away for the first three weeks of OCS.

Quality black boot socks and some arched work insoles/orthotics are money too... the standard issue black boots played hell on my feet and legs. Basically whatever you think you'll need to make long days and lots of marching and walking around as comfortable as possible AND is discreet, do it.

Foxtrot20

absolutely bring your own gear. get quality athletic socks, white and dark navy blue undershirts, and even though they say its supposed to be plain cotton you could even get away with briefs that have some more comfortable fabric in them (lycra, polyester or whatever). IMO Jockey is the most comfortable stuff and although its a big pricey, the comfort and fit factor will be well worth it. They are gonna issue you cheap crap as well as a whole toiletry bag of pit stick, edge shave cream, foot powder, toothbrush, etc. USE NONE OF IT. It needs to be in brand new condition for your locker inspection during RLP. Just lock it all away for the first three weeks of OCS.

Quality black boot socks and some arched work insoles/orthotics are money too... the standard issue black boots played hell on my feet and legs. Basically whatever you think you'll need to make long days and lots of marching and walking around as comfortable as possible AND is discreet, do it.
Thank you for the info, it's very helpful. What would you say is a reasonable number to bring, particularly for the navy blue undershirts and boot socks? It'd be good to be prepared without nuking it.

EWU12

"That's a true fact"
pilot
Contributor
most of your time is spent in NWU's. I'd say a half dozen of each, since you'll have time to do full loads of laundry on Sundays. a 3 pack of good white tees should be fine cause you'll use them for khakis when you're a Candio and your schedule is a little more flexible to do laundry.

Foxtrot20

The OCS required paperwork section says that we should bring "all medical/dental records and immunization records". I'm having difficulty finding all of my records, particularly for early childhood as I moved around a bit. Has it been a problem at OCS showing up missing a couple years' documentation? What's the best way to handle this?

jtmedli

pilot
The OCS required paperwork section says that we should bring "all medical/dental records and immunization records". I'm having difficulty finding all of my records, particularly for early childhood as I moved around a bit. Has it been a problem at OCS showing up missing a couple years' documentation? What's the best way to handle this?

That's BS. You dont need all that crap. They're gonna give you all new shots anyways.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
That's BS. You dont need all that crap. They're gonna give you all new shots anyways.

Uh, no they won't. I brought my immunization records and only had to get 3 shots plus the flu shot. Others? No so much.

If it's something relevant to your medical file, bring it. If it's your kiddy medical records saying you saw a doctor once a year...yeah...not that important. The x-rays for my arm breaking as a kid weren't on file, I just had the supervisor write a quick letter saying they weren't available anymore. Still in my medical record...