• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
More specifically, the VFR Pattern for Case I and II is aligned to BRC, whilst the CV-1 Approach and CCA box are aligned to Final Bearing.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
More specifically, the VFR Pattern for Case I and II is aligned to BRC, whilst the CV-1 Approach and CCA box are aligned to Final Bearing.
HUH??? :D

But you gotta' tell 'em WHY .... so it all makes "sense".:)

BRC ... base recovery course -- the course the ship/BOAT is steaming and what you orient yourself to as you fly-by and enter the BREAK and turn downwind --- goes w/ a Day/VFR/Case I/II == day/VFR patterns ultimately .... and 'cause you fly a "VFR" racetrack pattern to land ... you 'eat' the extra 10 degrees of turn on a day/VFR pattern and don't have an "instrument flight path" correction for the 10 degrees of angled deck.

FB ... final bearing .... goes w/ a Night/IFR/Case III/CCA approach patten .... 'cause you fly an "IFR" radar-controlled "racetrack" pattern to land ... w/ final CATCC course corrections relative to the ANGLED DECK, i.e. 10 degrees nominally off the ship's longitudinal. You DON'T 'eat' the 10 degrees -- 'cause you can't see it @ night/IFR and you depend upon the CCA or the needles to give you the 'correction' to arrive at :

"3/4 of a mile ... ON CENTERLINE ... ON GLIDESLOPE .... CALL THE BALL" ... :eek::eek:

Of course, all of this makes 'no sense' ... but that's O.K. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Oh, yeah. Sort of.
Well, yeah. Sort of ... but as I'm not sure what you mean, let me add that you essentially do a racetrack-fixed wing-- @ night -- if you BOLTER or WAVE-OFF ... :)

*edit* ... or you'd do one at night if you're doin' touch & go's round & round the "W/O BOLTER pattern" ... T&G's at night happen when the ship or AirWing is trying to run their "stats" up -- but for the guys doin' it -- it's kinda' like practicing bleeding.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mebbe this will help -- a generic depiction of a Case III/night/IFR approach from Marshal to the deck ... see the "racetrack" : :)

exhelodrvr

pilot
Well, yeah. Sort of ... but as I'm not sure what you mean, let me add that you essentially do a racetrack-fixed wing-- @ night -- if you BOLTER or WAVE-OFF ... :)

Sorry, that was a reference to what we typically did, which was to come in on the downwind leg for a relatively short final leg.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Bombs, Pods, and Targeting: Oh My!

What do we use when and how do make it go the right direction?

There is various information disseminated throughout the wealth of the board, BUT being that it's acronym heavy, I figure it can't hurt to have a kind of collective discussion.

Obviously I mean for this to be an unclassified type of discussion. Maybe beyond the Wikis, there IS nothing to discuss, but I just thought I would ask.

In no particular order:

-Radar: Where does it come in?
-JDAM: GPS, do-all?
-AGM-65 Maverick: TV-guided (means what?), IR? Situations?
-Paveway: LGB, homes off the "sparkle?" Pros, cons?
-Mk80 Series: Still employed regularly, yes? How precise can they be?
-CBUs / Rockeye (distinction?): Banned? Dumb, smart, "retarded" still, or all of the above?
-Harpoons: Radar-guided?
-Torpdedoes (and Bouys): sonar voodoo from any "player" out there? Active? Passive?
-FLIR Family: has navigation use as well? Laser-designation? LITENING differences?
-Anything I'm missing!

FLY_USMC

pilot
I can promise you not a soul in there right mind will answer probably any of those questions. That's the kind of stuff it's probably just better to read about in a book.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
In no particular order:

-CBUs / Rockeye (distinction?): Banned? Dumb, smart, "retarded" still, or all of the above?
-Torpdedoes (and Bouys): sonar voodoo from any "player" out there? Active? Passive?
-FLIR Family: has navigation use as well? Laser-designation? LITENING differences?
-Anything I'm missing!

-1 for headwork.

How does a guy with that many posts and that kind of rep ask something this stupid?

That just screams OpSec.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
What do we use when and how do make it go the right direction?

There is various information disseminated throughout the wealth of the board, BUT being that it's acronym heavy, I figure it can't hurt to have a kind of collective discussion.

Obviously I mean for this to be an unclassified type of discussion. Maybe beyond the Wikis, there IS nothing to discuss, but I just thought I would ask.

In no particular order:

-Anything I'm missing!

:eek: WTF!! Someone must have hacked into his account and posted this; don't seem like him to ask something like this... at least that's the excuse I would use to prevent further lambasting by us observers of OPSEC. Either that or say "this was a drunk post" :D.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Moving on...

Do tailhook guys do water-washes on the boat? It would seem the same rules would apply (overflight over water, below whatever the altitude is that I forget), but I never hear stories of killing bad guys over the skies of Iraq, trapping an OK-3, and then finishing up the recruiter-esque story w/ "...then I did the water-wash."

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You mean a freshwater wash-down? Yup. Though it's not right after landing like you helo bubbas. Usually it's something for a no-fly day, and if the evaps are working well enough (real problem on poor ol' broke-ass JFK during her last cruise).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You mean a freshwater wash-down? Yup. Though it's not right after landing like you helo bubbas. Usually it's something for a no-fly day, and if the evaps are working well enough (real problem on poor ol' broke-ass JFK during her last cruise).

No, I mean plugging water into the engine and squirting it in the compressor section. It's done every fly-day for helos over water and done on the 7-day for aircraft over land (including VT/HT aircraft).

The "fresh-water wash down" (some would call it an aircraft wash) is required every 7-day at sea and 14-day on land for helos.

Status
Not open for further replies.