• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Jackass said:
Was watching a military movie the other day and came across a scene where a Lt. Col. was referred to as Colonel. Is this normal? For instance are LCDRs often referred to as Commanders?

For instance, if I was meeting a LCDR could I greet him/her with "Good Morning Cdr xxxxx"?
In all but more formal or the most formal situations:

If one is a LtCOL, it is very common and correct to be addressed as: COL ...

Same for LCDR = CDR

Same for LTjg or 2LT or 1LT = LT

Source: USS Starship Enterprise (NCC-1701) Officer handbook ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Also done by convincing Army and AF types that a LCDR is equivalent to a Lt Col and thus getting better BOQ rooms....
Reminds one of the ol' story about a LTjg becoming a defacto LtGEN when assigning rooms and transport @ Kirtland AFB ... only it wasn't a "story". :D

Yankee Uniform Tango
Yep. Also why LCDR's are known as "phone commanders". As in, give yourself an extra paygrade by calling someone who doesn't know you and saying, "Morning, this is Commander X."

Reminds me of something I read in a WWII memoir where a Marine Captain became a Navy Captain, and got his Marines some special treatment.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...and a 1LT my dad used to fly with whose last name was General. Idly amusing until one day word filtered down to an AF Base Ops where they were stopping for gas that an H-53 was inbound with "a Lieutenant General onboard". As they taxied to the T-line, they beheld several colonels waiting for them, prompting lots of "the fuck did we do?" conversations in the cockpit.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Reminds one of the ol' story about a LTjg becoming a defacto LtGEN when assigning rooms and transport @ Kirtland AFB ... only it wasn't a "story". :D

I'm sure you wouldn't have been the perpetrator in this "story."

Marine and Air Force Captains were notorious for making reservations over the phone to Navy BOQ's when making x-cntry plans. The lowly E-3 at the BOQ desk would snap to attention when the CAPTAIN asked for a good room. Of course the Air Force guys would arrive and get their orders stamped "Sub-standard Quarters" and go out in town. I also remember the P-3 guys getting per diem on x-countries. We always had to pay our own way....after all, it was a privilege just to get to GO on a boondogle.:icon_wink

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh come on, it wasn't THAT bad on the Big John..

Nevermind. It was.

'Twas indeed. Although the carpet in the staterooms was nice. My favorite JFK moment was when salt water started coming out of the soda fountains in the forward wardroom. I mean, you expect JP-5, but come on.

Following that by cruising on IKE after they came out of CROH and everything worked...hot fresh water every time you opened the taps...4 "up" cats...gazed about in wonder like a slack-jawed yokel visiting the Big City.

phrogpilot73

Until you've had shitwater (and seriously, I mean little pieces of shit in the water) bubble up out of the drain on cruise, you haven't lived. I'd put the JFK against the Iwo any day...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Following that by cruising on IKE after they came out of CROH and everything worked...
That's for sure: the IKE was the first NUKE BOAT I ever waved on ... she/"he" was brand new then ...

Want a/c in your stateroom?? Check ...

Want fresh, non-JP flavored, cold water out of the scuttlebutt?? Check ...

Want 30 knots down the angle for the recovery just by calling for it?? Check ...

It's the little things in life that makes the difference.

I love NUKES. :)

MasterBates

Want a draggin screw, 20 kts on a good day, and 2.5 Cats?

That was the JFK on its last cruise. It had a hole the size of a VW bug in the hull. They just sealed the compartments shut (welded the void access hatches IIRC) that were near the hole. Between the dragging screw and that, she sounded "Weird" on SONAR. I bounced back and forth between the JFK and the Shotgun cruiser (Vicksburg) and often went days (including flying) without showers because I would miss "shower hours" on both.

brownshoe

Contributor
Until you've had shitwater (and seriously, I mean little pieces of shit in the water) bubble up out of the drain on cruise, you haven't lived....

Please, don't remind me.:) I never asked what was going on, I didn't want to know.:)

Steve

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
Okay, I was originally going to post this in the Helo section but since I don't know what I'm talking about... here are some stupid questions. (I've searched these but may have not been looking in the right places so sorry if they've already been answered)

1) What is meant by...

Stearmann4 said:
... until you're on NVGs, chalk 3 of 6 on the approach to a formation assault, browning out at 100' from the lead and hoping feverishly that when you do touchdown in the compound that you don't hit the bird in front of you.

2) What is a Nugget?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Okay, I was originally going to post this in the Helo section but since I don't know what I'm talking about... here are some stupid questions. (I've searched these but may have not been looking in the right places so sorry if they've already been answered)

1) What is meant by...

2) What is a Nugget?

1. The 3rd aircraft in a flight of 6. "Chalk" is USAF/Army-talk. The USMC/USN says "dash"-1,2,etc.

2. New guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.