• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know I'm speaking out of turn, as a Hummer mole and all, but AFAIK, the pointy-nose guys remove their NVGs completely for the cat and trap, because of the weight and the breakaway fitting. I've never seen anyone take the shot or come aboard with them on.

We blunt-nosed guys took them off for all take off and landings too.

Pags

N/A
pilot
HS to HSC question....

Are the HS squadrons going to keep their numbers after transition i.e. HS-7 to HSC-7......or are we going change them up?

....I hope I get a new hangar.......

I know that some are...for instance, HS-3 is going to become HSC-9 because there's already an HSC-3.

phrogpilot73

I can't imagine what it's like now.
We worked Felker beginning of December (kind of had to, since we had to do TERF externals for our crew chiefs TERFI codes), and it was ugly. 2 Navy 60's working the pad, 1 Navy 60, 2 Army 60's, and an Army 47 working the runway, and us (single Phrog) working the VOR site. And the Army 47 asking to work the VOR site on every downwind leg. It was painful. Needless to say, we did the minimum number of picks we had to get the X then left.

cdrapollo20

301_RAF.jpg

What is the black thing at the beginning of intake? Is that the refueling probe? I always thought it was on the nose of the Phantom?

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
What is the black thing at the beginning of intake? Is that the refueling probe? I always thought it was on the nose of the Phantom?

It's an antenna for the ALQ-126 active-jammer ECM system. The system replaced the ALQ-100 in the mid-'70s, and was an add-on (did not come from the factory with it).
The mod to the intake area consisted of a waveguide cover and the antenna (the black thingy) at the forward end of it. The F-4N's waveguide cover was about twice as long as the F-4J/F-4S cover, and makes one way to tell an N from an J/S (in addition to the IR dome under the nose of the B/N). [The first couple of squadrons that received N's did not have the ALQ-126, but were soon retrofitted.]
The Brits didn't use the ALQ-126, but their aircraft retained the antennas because it was too difficult to remove them.

The refueling probe was retracted behind a door that was more or less under the RIO's canopy. When extended, it was actually behind the pilot's head... the RIO would talk the pilot into the basket, while the pilot looked forward and flew formation on the tanker. You could tell when a pilot was peaking because the aircraft would go into PIO as the tip neared the basket.

VAQ130.jpg

301308f4nka3b.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Seeing Big Iron's pic of the E/C-2s in the picture thread, I thought I'd ask a few questions here.

1) Does the E-2 or C-2 have a weather radar or Stormscope?
2) Can the E-2 go into a non data-processing mode (if it's needed) and see weather pretty well, enough to pick your way through it if needed? Obviously OPSEC applies.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seeing Big Iron's pic of the E/C-2s in the picture thread, I thought I'd ask a few questions here.

2) Can the E-2 go into a non data-processing mode (if it's needed) and see weather pretty well, enough to pick your way through it if needed? Obviously OPSEC applies.

1) Yes, but not the APS-145. The stormscope is an independent system with it's own display in the cockpit. The Big Dome can't see weather...and I know at least one guy who got his callsign by swearing up and down that he could see a thunderstorm on his scope.
2) Not so much data-processing, but the APS-145 has to be in standby for the stormscope to work.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thought of a question from HJ's pic of the FireScout being hoisted aboard...

Do HSL helos usually fly-on pierside or underway? Our SH-2's always flew on underway, but I had no idea if that's the standard. Saw Marines fly on to an LHA pierside prior to deployment once. That was interesting, especially the Harriers.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thought of a question from HJ's pic of the FireScout being hoisted aboard...

Do HSL helos usually fly-on pierside or underway? Our SH-2's always flew on underway, but I had no idea if that's the standard. Saw Marines fly on to an LHA pierside prior to deployment once. That was interesting, especially the Harriers.

Fly on underway, unless the MO really screwed up or a hurricane is inbound and they're loading anything that rolls onboard. There are instances of flying on/off in port, but they're usually for SAR/relief type missions.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

The C-2 has a weather radar that is actually pretty good. We can overlay our flight plan and navigate through the clag pretty well. We can also swap displays and have the TAWS display up. Good for showing coastlines, islands, etc. TCAS can overlay on all screens.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The C-2 has a weather radar that is actually pretty good. We can overlay our flight plan and navigate through the clag pretty well. We can also swap displays and have the TAWS display up. Good for showing coastlines, islands, etc. TCAS can overlay on all screens.

I know I haven't flown the COD in 2+ years have almost 2000 hours in it and the weather radar was a big suck. I guess one could say it was good if it actually worked. My last two deployments, 4 different COD's, the wx radar was a big fail in all of em. My AT's and AE's could not fix em. We flew into nasty weather thanks to that POS, worthless, piece of fod in the nose of the aircraft. Just my experience with it.

In Pursuit

pilot
Our issue wasn't so much blowing tires, but melting the wax fuse plugs that were designed to melt and release air pressure to forestall potential to blow the tire from heat. With nuggets going ashore from the ship or on a divert, I'd always advise caution and taking easy with the brakes. Only one guy didn't listen on a divert into Cecil and when we deplaned, I could hear the hissing sound. Sure enough, fuse plug was working as designed. There were no Tomcat mounted tires on the base so we spent the night waiting for the OCD to deliver one with a team to change it. Being stuck in Cecil Q wasn't much better than the boat and the only worse place I can think of I had to divert was Gitmo.

What...the "Rocket 17" was closed that night?!?!? :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.