• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It will be a long while before we get JSFs.

The Marines will be keeping their EA-6Bs longer than anyone. I believe they are mostly on a shore rotation now, anyway, though.
Marine Prowlers don't go to the boat anymore, but the Cat I pilots still CQ at the RAG.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I guess I have another stupid question. I remember talking with someone about intruders and remembered a comment about it being one of the last Navy aircraft you could fly with the canopy open... was this something that was ever really practiced? Just thought I'd ask since I have never seen/read about that!
ACTUALLY .... It was a frequent & regular occurrence in the T-34B syllabus @ VT-1 ... as for every PPEL and many other "emergencies" you had to open the canopy as part of the procedure ... in point of fact, you could (and we occasionally did) take off w/ the front canopy open & locked. If I remember correctly, the normal take-off procedure called for either open or closed (and locked in both cases) for take-off. Most gear emergency practice procedures also included opening the canopy airborne to facilitate ground escape.

There was actually a NAVAIRTRACOM "correct" way to do it. You'd start w/ the canopy unlock lever, use both hands (trim, trim, TRIM) to get the canopy to about your 9-3 o'clock line (shoulders) ... and then slam it open "smartly" w/ your elbows ... OUCH!!! You could tell who was around halfway through the program by looking at the bruises on the back of their arms when in a trop khaki shirt or T-shirt. :)

One of STUD-solo pleasures was flying around w/ the canopy open -- very WW2-ish. :D

I seem to remember the BAILOUT and DITCHING procedures both "omitted" the "CANOPY OPEN" little detail in the respective procedure ... :D

The T-28 carqual'ed w/ the canopy open.

The A-6 RAG FAM syllabus included a canopy opening/fly around/close it item on one hop amongst the other required completion items. Later on, I remember at least one guy opening the canopy in the landing pattern to check an unsafe gear -- a bad idea as it turned out when the chin strap nearly decapitated him. Some other guys "lost" their canopies in flight -- instant OJT for flying around sans-canopy. :D

When rigging Rooskie ships and we weren't going to "thump" them , we frequently opened the canopy and flew by low and slow w/ the canopy open ... so as to extend our greeting and give the Hawaiian "good luck" sign ...
:D

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard that that either had changed or was about to change. What's the status on that rumor?
I had heard that rumor as well, but I think it was just that: a rumor. Of course I last flew about 6 FLIP updates and a NATOPS change ago . . . :icon_tong

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Umm, because there was a Marine squadron in the Air Wing? Just a guess, but I'd say any Marine CAG now is going to be long retired by the time the JSF arrives.

The Marines traded getting a CAG spot for the MAG-12 CO billet in Iwakuni, which is now held by a Navy O-6. As soon as the Marines are out of the CVW business, that will all go back to normal - as it should.

Brett

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys have a weird sense of "fun." Blasting around w/ 200+ knots of engine exhaust never really did it for me.
I remember getting the standard pre-FAM-checkride open-the-canopy-crank-down-the-gear PEL when I went through T-34s. I was close aboard an OLF when I got it. This meant I had to slip like hell, with the canopy open, to get on profile. I think I took a week off my life with the amount of jet exhaust I inhaled . . . :icon_tong

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, but it was worth it, haha. I remember doing it in Las Cruces in the middle of the winter, I thought my face was going to freeze off.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You guys have a weird sense of "fun." Blasting around w/ 200+ knots of engine exhaust never really did it for me.

No "fun" ???

It's easy -- you just gotta have some "romance" in your soul ... :)

Try this:

ltpatrickhenryhartko8.jpg

sbdlx6.jpg
300pxsbdsandmikumazp0.jpg
torchsbd3bg0.jpg

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those have the exhaust stacks positioned so you don't have to inhale it. :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What Nit said. The Bravo and the A-6 are far more user-friendly for any "romance" you may desire.

Renegade One

None
Word on the street is that VADM Kilcline is going to unveil his new instruction for the wearing of flight suits out in town - USAF style. Stay tuned for details, but my front office is saying it's going to happen very soon.

Brett

At Tailhook Flag Panel, crowd was told, basically, "Not going to happen. Couldn't gain consensus on a 'uniform appearance' standard. No one wanted to give up squadron t-shirts, embroidery, etc., and without a truly 'standard appearance', won't be doing this." Or words to that effect...full notes on Flag Panel Q&A's in the Private Naval Aviators Forum.

V/R, Spike

Status
Not open for further replies.