• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Other than SDO it'll be the first watch you're "qualified" for (here's the book, record the interval, don't suck - training complete) so it just rotates among the JO's who are not LSO's or standing SDO.

A corresponding watchbill is stood in Air Ops by LCDRs for Case III recoveries although they get to share seats with XO/ COs and even DCAG/CAG who drop in to watch so you may get called out b6 Air Ops or DCAG/CAG.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
You know an aircraft has truly arrived when it no longer is called by its given name.

You know the given name really sucks when the institution has to change officially change the name. "Fighting Falcon"-->"Viper" "Iroquois"--->"Huey" "Superstar"(muy ghey)---->"Raptor"

That makes sense, especially thinking about...

Look at a picture of it on the ground from the side. Kinda looks like a frog, no?

I'd say more like from head on, but thats just me :)

Thanks everyone, makes more sense now. I appreciate it. :)

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Other than SDO it'll be the first watch you're "qualified" for (here's the book, record the interval, don't suck - training complete) so it just rotates among the JO's who are not LSO's or standing SDO.

Lest we forget, in port/anchorage, there was also Hanger Deck O, Flight Deck O, Shore Patrol O, and who can forget Boat O...(let's see...thats "Red Right Returning"...correct??) LOL!!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Roger that; the term 'changed' to Carrier Air WING sometime in the mid-60s. CAG's originally were named for the BOAT that they were attached to -- i.e., 'ENTERPRISE AIR GROUP' instead of a numerical CAG number.

We used 'air group' and 'air wing' about 50-50 interchangeably when I was in ...

A sample 'YORKTOWN AIR GROUP', circa 1939-40:

cag51940.jpg

Wanted to make a lot of "A4s in the biplane" jokes, but it just wouldn't pan out. Nice pic...

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I remember seeing C-12s and T-44s come in for the break and it made me wonder---do you P-3 guys fly the break? Or is it mainly downwind entries and straight-ins for y'all?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
No, sadly, we don't fly the break any more. The last time I flew one was March or April of 2009 on deployment. Then big Navy said we were stressing the airframes too much and put the kibash on it.

Our S-3 transitions love to tell us we never really flew the break, but I digress.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No, sadly, we don't fly the break any more. The last time I flew one was March or April of 2009 on deployment. Then big Navy said we were stressing the airframes too much and put the kibash on it.

Sad, it was always entertaining to watch you guys do it up at Whidbey whenever I was there.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Lucky this came up in this thread... :)

What is the break?

The simple answer is it's a faster way to get aircraft to land. What that means is instead of flying an approach at fairly low speeds (140 to, say, 200 kts) and landing, like an airliner (or P-3, now, sadly) the aircraft can come in at higher speed, 250 to 400 kts, and in formation.

Found this video on youtube. It might be kind of gay due to being a video game tutorial but it's actually a pretty good description of what it looks like. Speeds, etc. for the F/A-18 I can't vouch for, but you get the idea.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
^ These nerds should be writing courseware for CNATRA. Better than most of the stuff I remember furiously clicking through.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess the Blues are the only ones talented enough to break to the right :D

Naahhh! While fairly rare, some Military airfields have a right-hand pattern; i.e. NAS Lemoore is a right break on 32R or 14R when the normal landing runways 32L/14L are in other use (FMLP, Inst. Approach etc.).
BzB

Status
Not open for further replies.