• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The H-60S has done some deployed time on a CRU/DES recently, I know HSC-8 just did a lot of work on that issue. I'm guessing there are limitation WRT to moving the helo in out of the hangar since the SIERRA can not install a RAST probe.

Yeah, there was just an article about it in Rotor Review. They made a big deal about having to move the bird by hand, but that's SOP for USNS dets. I work next to an HSL guy now, and I like to shock him with stories of manual aircraft moves.

My point was that the 60S was originally procured to replace HC's aging 46 fleet, so they were originally only supposed to go on USNS and Gators. Now the aircraft has crept into other areas such as CRU/DES and LCS.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, that was a good shot of them by WLAWR. Need to put the mains in the boxes, not just the circle.

I think those guys used the RAST to get out of the hanger and then started up...if not, their AW needs to actually look outside the helo when making calls :icon_smil

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think those guys used the RAST to get out of the hanger and then started up...if not, their AW needs to actually look outside the helo when making calls :icon_smil

That picture yields another question/comment:

I don't know if RAST was ever even considered for the 60S, but judging by that pic, it wouldn't be possible with our t/w.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I don't know if RAST was ever even considered for the 60S, but judging by that pic, it wouldn't be possible with our t/w.

Yup, exactly what I was getting at. I don't think you could even do it on a FFG, which is super long, because you come back so far aft when you straighten.

Pags

N/A
pilot

As mentioned in another thread, the 60S was a replacement for the Phrog. Phrogs didn't have RAST. The ships they deployed on (USNS, Gators) didn't have RAST gear. No point in having it if you're not going to use it.

That being said, now that people have started sending Sierras to smallboys, there is talk of adding something like a RAST.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
As mentioned in another thread, the 60S was a replacement for the Phrog. Phrogs didn't have RAST. The ships they deployed on (USNS, Gators) didn't have RAST gear. No point in having it if you're not going to use it.

That being said, now that people have started sending Sierras to smallboys, there is talk of adding something like a RAST.

Which is what brought about that question. Thanks for the clarification.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's a great link, Phrog.

Thanks for the info phrogpilot73, looks like something handy for rough seas.

Don't believe the hype. In 1982, I'm sure it was a great tool. Nowadays, it doesn't work half the time and even if it did, it's really sketchy having three guys on deck in the bad weather trying to hook it up. It's a great idea and if you need it (and know it will work), it will get you aboard in crappy weather, but usually (barring any HAC board/SAR scenario), you probably shouldn't be taking off in that weather to begin with.

What we do use it for is the straightening and traversing of the aircraft. The tolerances are pretty small for getting the bird in the hangar that having a bunch of hydraulics do it for you (w/ human interaction, of course) is much easier than using a tilly bar like Pags was talking about.

The actual straightening evolution is really painful to watch sometimes. The sideloads on the tailwheel are crazy, but hey, that's the way it was designed.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The Sierra can not have a RAST probe install because the fuselage is not designed to accomodate it. It's more than just having the hole in the floor, the airframe needs to be strenghted around it.
Unless the Navy is prepared to drop a sh!t-ton of $$ on rebuilding airframes, the 60S will never have RAST.
That being said, you don't need it. RAST is needed mainly to get the aircraft in and out of the hangar. The LAMPS guys may fight me on this, but after doing two months on a CG, my opinion is that you need it to get the helo in and out of the hangar; you don't NEED it for anything else. (I do realize the landing evelope using the RA cable is larger than freedeck with is larger still than cleardeck)

There is a tractor device being developed for the 60S to help get the helo in and out of the hangar; a system similair to what the 46's used on the USNS ships.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, there was just an article about it in Rotor Review. They made a big deal about having to move the bird by hand, but that's SOP for USNS dets. I work next to an HSL guy now, and I like to shock him with stories of manual aircraft moves.

The JTF-515 EMIO det was moving H-60H by hand for about 5 years. Fortunatley we were on a 900 foot USNS ship so it moved about as much as an aircraft carrier...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think PJ O'Rourke said it best in one of his books. "It's like reeling in an enormous air bass."

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've heard that the RAST isn't completely 100% safe for traversing the helo into the hangar, as the helo can still tilt while hooked up in rough seas, and this tolerance that allows the tilt is enough for the helo to hit the hangar edge as it's moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.