• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
As a general rule, most center controllers will let you into RVSM (unequipped) unless they're busy.

Brett
Uhhhhhhh ... not really --- unless you're in one of the 'limited' categories ... i.e., in a DOD aircraft, or climbing through RVSM airspace, or are an air ambulance, or a foreign (government) bird ... and then, as you point out: when traffic permits.

And for the Pacific -- for dispatch -- forget it.

I see you haven't flown in too many non-DOD birds ... :)

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
So as not to threadjack the T-45 IP thread anymore than I already did, here's one that popped up:

Since I haven't been in "single pilot" training since primary over a year ago, I was curious how a genuine single-seat jet pilot organizes his tasks in the cockpit, specifically writing down clearances/frequencies, tuning radios and adjusting avionics/equipment himself while maintaining control of the jet. Is the auto-pilot sufficient for off-hands flying? Do you fly with the left hand on the stick and write with the right? Do you use a whole lot more of your memory and write less?

I imagine there are things a lot easier about flying single seat (no more challenge-reply checklists, less time accomplishing things yourself instead of relying on other crew, no requirement for intra-cockpit CRM etc), but the questions I have above are some of the difficult parts about being single-pilot/crew.

Like Master said, there is a lot of taking care of things pre-flight. Waypoints and freqs are all done before the flight. The rest is just a lot of autopilot, good trim, and very quickly writing things down. It really isn't that bad. You do work a little harder though, but I'd say you pay a lot more attention to what's going on around you. The Hornet isn't certified for GPS approaches, but the GPS works just fine, so TACANs aren't that important.

And by the way, we can do that 500kts down at 200 feet just as well. Nothing like a ridge line crossing on your back, hauling the chili. :icon_smil

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Single seat vs multi-seat ... at the end of the day, there is no 'real' qualitative or quantitative difference. UNLESS, of course ... you want to make one, because of a certain preconceived point of view ...

You do what you do ... you fly the plane from 'A' to 'B' and back again ... and again .... and again ...
you run 'procedures' that have been time-tested in an airplane that was certified for single or multi crew wa-a-a-a-a-a-ay before YOU ever manned up for the first time ... you advance the agenda ... you complete the mission ... you do the job.

Except ... in multi-place cockpits ... you have someone to talk to 'sides yourself. :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Stupid question: how do you fly in RVSM airspace or do you climb through it to on top?

Unless you are going pretty far on the road (i.e. trying to get to Vegas or San Diego), going to RVSM altitudes is not really necissary. I know several folks who have done this trip and they were all able to get RVSM altitudes, but that was not in busy airspace and mostly out west. All my time on the road has been in the mid 20's.

MasterBates

Flying out of Kingsville, I was almost always able to get above RVSM without a problem and stay up there until on the way into the destination.

What helps, was climbing out of KNQI, we would normally be above the RVSM altitudes before we got where the majority of the airliners were.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uhhhhhhh ... not really --- unless you're in one of the 'limited' categories ... i.e., in a DOD aircraft, or climbing through RVSM airspace, or are an air ambulance, or a foreign (government) bird ... and then, as you point out: when traffic permits.

And for the Pacific -- for dispatch -- forget it.

I see you haven't flown in too many non-DOD birds ... :)

Uhhhh, yeah, really. I have only been denied a cruise FL in RVSM once since it came out a few years back. DoD aircraft, but that's what we're talking about here anyway. Maybe I just ask nicer than you. ;)

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ummmmmm ... well, no .... I just don't think that's possible.

Mebbe we should have a poll ... ??? ;):D:icon_lol::sleep_125

This reminds me of an idea I had in the jet a few weeks ago, and maybe there's something like this going on in GA or on the commercial side - I dunno, but I think it would be fun to have a controllers and aviators social hour/cocktail party. It would be fun to see what would happen. :D

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
This reminds me of an idea I had in the jet a few weeks ago, and maybe there's something like this going on in GA or on the commercial side - I dunno, but I think it would be fun to have a controllers and aviators social hour/cocktail party. It would be fun to see what would happen. :D

Brett

They would try to tell us what and how much we were allowed to drink, where we could sit or stand, etc......and then I'd end up choking/punching one of them. Probably not as much fun as it sounds.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They would try to tell us what and how much we were allowed to drink, where we could sit or stand, etc......and then I'd end up choking/punching one of them. Probably not as much fun as it sounds.

But if stuff like that is going to be going down, I want a front row seat. :D

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

LOL. And they would also control conversation as they pass you around the room...."Roger Brett, switch 352.8 and contact Memphis (in next cluster of people), good day, sir"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
THE BEST ... the very, very best way to get a 'handle' on the FAA ... AND ... lose your 'fear' of them ... is to give 'em a check ride ... :)

I came, I saw, I did ... and, as a result ... I was NEVER in 'fear' of the FAA again ... :D

A man has just gotta' know his limits ...

yak52driver

Contributor
THE BEST ... the very, very best way to get a 'handle' on the FAA ... AND ... lose your 'fear' of them ... is to give 'em a check ride ... :)

I came, I saw, I did ... and, as a result ... I was NEVER in 'fear' of the FAA again ... :D

A man has just gotta' know his limits ...

How did you end up giving the FAA a check ride? :eek: That would be fun to do!

I take one every six months for Part 135 with the MKE FSDO reps, and I do have to say, after the first one I had a much different view of the FAA reps. Good people, especially after they get to know you and your flying abilities. (or lack thereof... :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.