• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
A 5 wet can have stores on the wingtip, even fully bagged out. We would frequently use the tanker to fulfill part of the DCA requirement while in the Gulf.

Isn't every waterboy's wet dream to get called into the big game to make the big play that wins the big game at the last second in overtime?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty sure they shortened it to 6 flights years ago but am not sure, a more recent wingee, who got their wings less than 20 years ago :D, ought to know better.
You're correct. According to CNATRAINST 1542.162A (3 Dec 15), SNFOs get 4 day contact flights, and 1 night contact flight and 1 day contact check ride (6 total front seat). Then the rest (10 flights) are in the back as INavs/VNavs/Aero.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A 5 wet can have stores on the wingtip, even fully bagged out. We would frequently use the tanker to fulfill part of the DCA requirement while in the Gulf.

Yeah, slight misspeak on my part, I meant sta 2/10 mounted 120's......those in combination with LAUs tipped the balance over max 5 wet TO. We flew tankers in the gulf in early OIR with 9X as well, though I don't know how much utility they would have provided....and we were doing yo-yo ARS only tanking so it actually didn't even come close to that.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
We did that too. We floated the idea of 3 wet with 2xGBU-54s/2xAIM-9s in the gulf also...
Also, 5x tanks (no ARS on the centerline) is not an authorized loadout. I hate that I know that.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
CVW-2s Work-Down SUSTEX would like a word....

They all suck. My last one did too, though not nearly this bad. From a lack of CSG-4 coordination, multiple safety of flights/near midairs (due to said lack of CSG-4 coord), a strike group culture that endorses violations of 3710 in training so that O-7+ can look good to their bosses, and a personal "why the F am I still here when my MSR was last spring" standpoint, I think we have you beat.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
They all suck. My last one did too, though not nearly this bad. From a lack of CSG-4 coordination, multiple safety of flights/near midairs (due to said lack of CSG-4 coord), a strike group culture that endorses violations of 3710 in training so that O-7+ can look good to their bosses, and a personal "why the F am I still here when my MSR was last spring" standpoint, I think we have you beat.

My personal favorite was the P-8, tumbleweed and co-altitude flying through my strike holding stack (don't worry, we'll just deviate and delay an 18-plane event for them), blatantly refusing to comply with instructions to move for safety of flight... and then 2 weeks later getting shot down by the OPFOR they were supposed to be locating for the CSG. :rolleyes:

#karmaisabitch

The blatant disregard for 3710 wasn't as egregious as I remember from my last set of workups... but yeah. C2X sucks in general- nobody goes out there thinking "this will be awesome!". Yet somehow the higher-ups were really pleased with the whole thing. ?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
My favorite was Meg's WASEX where everyone had no gas 200 miles from the boat with no tanker plan, it was BKN020 Case I, they shut down the flight with everyone in the overhead for "evasive maneuvering", and they came out of and subsequently went back into EMCON....twice. Thank goodness for friends in the stack...21294

At least the view was nice...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Having you around made the terrible just a little bit less terrible SB. Glad we had you brother. Also Meg is one of my favorite humans, and anything that makes his life horrible makes me grumpy too. The fact that we didn't have a class A is a testament to the professionalism of all the JO's out there with us, and every Admiral involved with it should be fired.

Last edited:

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Since the Charlie is sundowned, do the aviators that are LT Jgs or above need to be retrained in the Super or can they transition to 35s?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Since the Charlie is sundowned, do the aviators that are LT Jgs or above need to be retrained in the Super or can they transition to 35s?

That happened a while ago for the most part.........I'm guessing the last pure Charlie JG was at least a year ago, and is prob a LT now. But yes, those who were new enough went back through the FRS, those who were long in the tooth enough either suffered through bad orders and paper to early shore tours, or got farmed out to other squadrons for the rest of their "JO tour"s.

Scimitarze

Automated Member
My favorite was Meg's WASEX where everyone had no gas 200 miles from the boat with no tanker plan, it was BKN020 Case I, they shut down the flight with everyone in the overhead for "evasive maneuvering", and they came out of and subsequently went back into EMCON....twice. Thank goodness for friends in the stack...View attachment 21294

At least the view was nice...
What are the rules about having cameras in the cockpit anyways?