• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
What's the current status of flying with tablets in the Fleet? Last I heard (a few years ago), the VX's were experimenting with "electronic kneeboards" (iPad Minis with a kneeboard strap) and NAVAIR was about to sign off on it, with some provisos/restrictions.

For Marines DCA published a white paper about 6 weeks ago saying that all electronic devices are prohibited from briefing rooms, flight lines, and cockpits. The exception is for official squadron issued E-kneeboards. I really don't know of any squadrons who have them. So there is that.

FWIW this comes from the fact that we have had a few crunches on the ground because Mx was texting while towing and not paying attention.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy issued iPad minis are pretty standard now in tacair. You're still required to carry paper pubs, but they're handy for cross countries.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's the current status of flying with tablets in the Fleet? Last I heard (a few years ago), the VX's were experimenting with "electronic kneeboards" (iPad Minis with a kneeboard strap) and NAVAIR was about to sign off on it, with some provisos/restrictions.

It's a very complicated answer. Issued EKBs are authorized. There's a TD to allow non-issued but like-issued EKBs in the cockpit, given certain conditions. However I have a long email chain where half of -281, including the O-6, says you can't use personally owned EKBs in the cockpit while everyone else says you can (correctly, IMO). TW-5 has an instruction that allows it.

The whole process has been yet another chapter in dealing with PMA that makes me want to burn ants with a magnifying glass.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
HSC squadrons on the west coast have dabbled with beta tests of Ipads with Foreflight installed in them - pretty awesome. HT's are too, but I don't think they are issuing any; although word has come recently that soon the Navy will purchase a select number of subscriptions for its pilots at various commands, so they are coming.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
Really dumb question incoming.

Do any Navy folks stationed at San Diego live in Tijuana and commute over the border? I've heard that used to happen in the past, probably not allowed anymore though.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really dumb question incoming.

Do any Navy folks stationed at San Diego live in Tijuana and commute over the border? I've heard that used to happen in the past, probably not allowed anymore though.

Oh god no. For a few years its was forbidden to even cross the border into TJ, though I think that's been lifted. I seriously doubt any command would sign off on living across the border, and even if you could, there's absolutely zero reason to do so. The traffic crossing into the States at San Ysidro every morning is insane.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW this comes from the fact that we have had a few crunches on the ground because Mx was texting while towing and not paying attention.

Awesome.

I'm sure a lot of the hesitancy is worrying dudes will be playing Angry Birds on boring flights. And everybody says that's ridiculous. And then some dude gets caught playing Angry Birds.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh god no. For a few years its was forbidden to even cross the border into TJ, though I think that's been lifted. I seriously doubt any command would sign off on living across the border, and even if you could, there's absolutely zero reason to do so. The traffic crossing into the States at San Ysidro every morning is insane.

I had a SELRES that moved to TJ, or at least told me she was. I'm not sure she actually moved. She came on orders all the time (so maybe she didn't have to), but the NOSC was cool if she lived there while not drilling. I'm not sure we ever went down the rabbit hole of if she could commute while on orders...though I have a feeling she did when visiting family.

jtmedli

pilot
The whole process has been yet another chapter in dealing with PMA that makes me want to burn ants with a magnifying glass.

This. So much this.

FWIW, I think everyone has adopted the big boy rules in regards to IPads. My skipper was sitting in the FBO on stop #3 of our CCX downloading ForeFlight after he saw me using it and what it could do.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Awesome.

I'm sure a lot of the hesitancy is worrying dudes will be playing Angry Birds on boring flights. And everybody says that's ridiculous. And then some dude gets caught playing Angry Birds.

The ones we use in VAQ-land only have a poor man's version of Foreflight (the NGA Aero App) and a pdf reader. You could only update them off a few navy approved macbooks at the wing, and you had to use them in an otter box style case if you wanted to take them in the jet. My airwing's VFA squadron used theirs for imagery, but I haven't figured out a relevant use for them except inconus cross countrys. Good idea in concept, but the restrictions placed on them limit their utility.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
That's a valid question based on my snarkey reply. I've never participated in a FNAEB/FNFOEB, but I'm fairly certain we would both end up at one, and that the details would come out there. I'd hope that if cockpit recordings were available and I said, "hey we probably shouldn't be doing this," that I'd come out alright on the backside. There are probably other members here who have had more experience with the process though.

See below for the famous "Nope!" video we see almost annually at our CRM training that encompasses my thoughts. Unfortunately I don't know what happened to the pilot smart enough to speak up.

Know that guy. I've even flown with.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
We use Samsung tablets loaded with Avare, a program pretty close to Foreflight, for national airspace stuff. There are various DoD programs available that can load imagery, GOS/GRG, etc, that we also use. I'd hazard to guess that we fly with them almost 100% of the time, save for flights like FCFs, etc.

jmcquate

Contributor
Do you ever get conferrable with taxing on deck, especially getting spotted at the edge with you're tail over the water? Trust in the yellow shirts seems important. I'm amazed every time I've seen it.