• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I know who the JTACs are. I also know how the approval process works. It's ultimately up to the aircrew to decide if the Rules of Engagement are met before dropping.

gotta_fly

pilot
Nah man, having 13 guys in the back to determine whether or not the runway is too icy in Minot is EXACTLY like trying to get your 9-line while rolling in on a CAS...at night...on NVGs...in the Wx...thank god the Air Boss is right there to help you.

Good one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Panties aren't twisted. I just find it pretty humorous to watch the fat kids talk about autonomy in TACAIR when their view of it is through a soda straw. It's like me watching a TACAMO crew get their brief together in base ops, and then make comparisons to how they and TACAIR function operationally. I find that people should stick to what they know, but they don't. You want to talk about your community and how you operate, fine. Don't make comparisons to communities that you don't understand.

TACAIR allows LTs to make life and death decisions, all on their own. If a JTAC needs warheads on foreheads, then it's the two of them who decide if the weapon should be released. Sounds pretty autonomous to me.

Ah, fuck it. Touché, you are all correct. I didn't mean to break out the ruler, and obviously I was erroneous and basing my observation on my limited experience. I stand corrected and all that happy horseshit.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Panties aren't twisted. I just find it pretty humorous to watch the fat kids talk about autonomy in TACAIR when their view of it is through a soda straw. It's like me watching a TACAMO crew get their brief together in base ops, and then make comparisons to how they and TACAIR function operationally. I find that people should stick to what they know, but they don't. You want to talk about your community and how you operate, fine. Don't make comparisons to communities that you don't understand.......

Well, having flown both......sure, whatever. Eh, we'll both be replaced by Otto in a few years anyways.

otto.jpg

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
VT doesn't equal stupid. I've been in the Navy as long as most junior O-4s and have operated with several different communities...broad generalizations about responsibility levels across communities are always going to be wrong no matter what rank you are.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Nah man, having 13 guys in the back to determine whether or not the runway is too icy in Minot is EXACTLY like trying to get your 9-line while rolling in on a CAS...at night...on NVGs...in the Wx...thank god the Air Boss is right there to help you.

Unless you have just forgotten to update your profile, I would humbly like to suggest that you get the chip off your shoulder and swallow a little humble pie. You have a lot to learn before you go shooting your mouth off. Being a cone in vt-7 doesn't equal being a seasoned fleet aviator. I am guessing that you haven't done shit...at night...on NVGs...in the wx.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I know who the JTACs are. I also know how the approval process works. It's ultimately up to the aircrew to decide if the Rules of Engagement are met before dropping.

This isn't a rhetorical question, as my CAS experience is with only guns in close and not dropping bombs, but in your community when you get a 9-line are you saying that you still go through the valid targeting decision tree even though the JTAC has already vetted it a valid target? The way I am understanding what you are saying is that you even if you guys get a target from a JTAC you still have to ask if you can still drop?

Of course, I know everyone will still actually look at what they are shooting/bombing to make sure they aren't blatantly violating ROE, i.e., engaging on visually identifiable unarmed individuals. In my mind, that is secondary as the JTAC has already gotten approval.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Unless you have just forgotten to update your profile, I would humbly like to suggest that you get the chip off your shoulder and swallow a little humble pie. You have a lot to learn before you go shooting your mouth off. Being a cone in vt-7 doesn't equal being a seasoned fleet aviator. I am guessing that you haven't done shit...at night...on NVGs...in the wx.
No chip...but I do have 300 hours of NVG time...most of it in pretty decent weather though.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
No chip...but I do have 300 hours of NVG time...most of it in pretty decent weather though.
Whatever bro. Keep digging. I stand by my statement. You have a lot to learn and being "that guy" who shows up to his first squadron with the know it all attitude because of what they did when they were enlisted will not earn you a good rep. But I am just a stupid TACAMO guy, what do I know?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Nobody said anything about you OR TACAMO being stupid. I was a helo crewchief man, I am more than aware of the fact that everyone has a part to play in NavAir.

You've seen me around here enough to know that I was being funny...don't take it so hard.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Nobody said anything about you OR TACAMO being stupid. I was a helo crewchief man, I am more than aware of the fact that everyone has a part to play in NavAir.

You've seen me around here enough to know that I was being funny...don't take it so hard.

Yeah whatever. I am over it.
I'll buy the first round if we ever meet. Cheers.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Read your profile, and respect your flight time and experience in the helo. That said, take the advice of others and STFU. Shooting the gun out of the helo is much different than taking the responsibility for giving the order to shoot. You may not understand that now but you will soon. Your comment may or may not have had a grain of truth but just because you've been a helo crewman doesn't mean you're a bomb dropping jet pilot, yet.

Cracking on a winged guy's platform, regardless of whether you were trying to be funny or not, will rub people the wrong way, especially coming from someone still in the training command.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you were a helo crewman, then for the sake of your tacair integration, you have forgotten everything you ever learned about flying in that job.........shockingly, it only takes one call for the rest of us to taxi/takeoff/get cleared for an approach/etc, not 48 minutes of trucker comm and confusion :) (donning flamesuit from helo bubbas)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VT doesn't equal stupid. I've been in the Navy as long as most junior O-4s and have operated with several different communities...broad generalizations about responsibility levels across communities are always going to be wrong no matter what rank you are.

Really? I thought that was a given?

I was trying to point a pretty distinct difference in how two separate parts of Naval Aviation work, both of which I actually do have experience in. It wasn't a broad generalization either, and I already noted that dropping ordnance is probably the biggest responsibility of all in Naval Aviation so yeah........ Unsurprisingly it got into a measuring contest where apparently you can't even talk a little trash about studs in clown jets since that is just mean!

How many times have we pointed out on this site that everyone who wears gold wings has an important role? It doesn't matter if you are flying rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong, flying Marines to a firefight or if you are dropping bombs on evildoers we are all support in the end anyways, for the soldier or Marine slogging through the mud on the ground. The ironic part is the guys and gals that we make some of the most fun of here, 'flying' drones out of Las Vegas, have probably had just as much if not more of an impact in the wars of the last decade than the rest of us here, all the while eating cheese puffs and sleeping in their own bed every night.

So are we all happy now that we are all awesome in our own, non-offensive but very accepting way that embraces our unique differences as well as celebrating them at the same time?

kumbaya-1.jpg

Didn't think so. Fuck you all then, I'm the greatest!