• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Mark Hamilton

Pro-rec NFO
Okay awesome! Thats good to know. Not trying to turn pro, just enjoy swimming, biking, running and competing. I usually do like 3-4 tris per year.

jtmedli

pilot
I know this may be off a little from the technical questions but the thread is titled stupid questions about naval aviation. I was picked up in the dec boards for NFO and my recruiter says ill probably go to ocs feb 17.

Im pretty into triathlons and was curious as to whether or not any one in the naval aviation community does triathlons or is the work load too much and there isnt time for that kind of thing? If thats the case I dont mind not being able to compete. If it seems pretty unlikely ill be able to do them at all over the next 5-8 years I may try to sell off some of my bikes before I go to OCS.

On the other side of the argument, when you're IN flight school there are two extremes: 1) sitting on your ass for months on end waiting to start training. 2) push, push, push to get done. During the former, you'll proly have enough free time to become an olympic athlete. During the latter, you wont even have time to get a decent workout in. But of course, YMMV so take it as it comes, but I wouldn't go and sell off your bikes if I was you.

Mark Hamilton

Pro-rec NFO
"I play real sports, I don't try to be the best at exercising."
-Kenny Powers

LOL. he is the man
images

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
For people who get the E-6B Mercury, do they still have the whole 3-year/2-year/3-year setup for their initial service obligation, or would it be different since they don't really do a sea tour in the same way that tailhook aircraft do?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is no difference in commitment and initial sea tour structure regardless of community. You can expect a 3 year JO sea tour (+/- months depending on your timing and community needs) and a 3 year shore tour initially. Just because you're not going to "sea" in the E-6 doesn't mean it isn't your sea tour.

jtmedli

pilot
There is no difference in commitment and initial sea tour structure regardless of community. You can expect a 3 year JO sea tour (+/- months depending on your timing and community needs) and a 3 year shore tour initially. Just because you're not going to "sea" in the E-6 doesn't mean it isn't your sea tour.

Which is why it (and P3s) ain't such a bad deal.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
And is there similarly a disassociated tour after the shore tour?

gotta_fly

pilot
For people who get the E-6B Mercury, do they still have the whole 3-year/2-year/3-year setup for their initial service obligation, or would it be different since they don't really do a sea tour in the same way that tailhook aircraft do?

Yeah, just because we're not on a boat doesn't make it shore duty. Kind of a misnomer I guess. I've been gone about 370 days out of the last two years. I understand fully that my being gone is not the same as being gone on a ship or someplace sandy, but I would still bet that's more deployed time than your average shore duty guy...

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, just because we're not on a boat doesn't make it shore duty. Kind of a misnomer I guess. I've been gone about 370 days out of the last two years. I understand fully that my being gone is not the same as being gone on a ship or someplace sandy, but I would still bet that's more deployed time than your average shore duty guy...
Yeah I've heard that deployments are something like two weeks on, two weeks off. Where do you guys go when you deploy? I know all the VQ's are based at Tinker, do you fly to other AFB's in CONUS, or do you go international?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

It depends, but what I've noticed over the years of reading threads like this is that pilots from communities across the Navy tend to have roughly the same amount of Total Time (barring an IA or whatever). No doubt crew concept, SORTS, SHARP, T&R, etc all have something to do with that. It also seems like groups of people (squadrons or CSGs) tend to deploy on similar timelines for a given time period. So when 6 month cruises were the norm, most communities seemed to have a 18-ish/out 36-ish month ITEMPO. When deployments longer than that are normal (like now), that goes up.

That said, I get you guys det all the time, so you may end up having a little more, but overall, I'm guessing it's not that far enough...in large part because the bean counters actually track your ITEMPO.

jmcquate

Contributor
I must have walked around the NASM Scooter 100 times and I never noticed the boarding steps on the starboard main gear door. Did it fold up in to the main gear well or was it externally attached?
002.JPG

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I must have walked around the NASM Scooter 100 times and I never noticed the boarding steps on the starboard main gear door. Did it fold up in to the main gear well or was it externally attached?
Flew the Scooter for 15 years & never laid eyes on a contraption like that. There was a standard 'boarding ladder' for the A-4 (shipboard & ashore). The top boarding platform plugged into a hole in the fuselage, port side just below the canopy rail. It was in no way, an integral part of the airframe.:)
A-4 Ladder.jpgA-4 Ladder-2.jpgBlues Ladder web.jpg
*The 3rd thumbnail is a special boarding ladder mfg. for the "Blues" A-4s & stowed internally for use @ non-military airports.
BzB