• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

gotta_fly

pilot
Our CO came in and when the guy who didn't get it raised a stink, our CO said that he hadn't met the NSS minimum. This was at VT-2 in '09.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Our CO came in and when the guy who didn't get it raised a stink, our CO said that he hadn't met the NSS minimum. This was at VT-2 in '09.

I'll defer to guys like E6B or the current Primary guys, but I have a feeling that may have been a verbal hug. Was that the Coastie? If so, that guy is solid.

gotta_fly

pilot
No, the Coastie was my XO. Awesome leader, and great to fly with.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Competition just depends on the week. My week there were two guys that wanted it and one spot. Other weeks there are no spots. Like tailhook, there is an NSS cut off so it is somewhat selective. Of the 25ish JO pilots in my squadron, I only know of one or two that didn't put this as first choice.

What's NSS? My best educated guess at the moment would be National Security Strategy, but please correct me if I'm wrong. All these acronyms :confused: and I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface of it yet.
[EDIT: Just got it, Navy Standard Score.]

And as far as the BAH goes, several posters mentioned that it might be contingent on whether or not you're married. But doesn't that just determine whether or not you get the "with dependents" versus the "without dependents" rate? Or do you mean that you just don't get BAH at OCS unless you're married?

phrogpilot73

And as far as the BAH goes, several posters mentioned that it might be contingent on whether or not you're married. But doesn't that just determine whether or not you get the "with dependents" versus the "without dependents" rate? Or do you mean that you just don't get BAH at OCS unless you're married?
Policies change all the time, so it may be different when you get to OCS. But at one time, the policy was unmarried guys didn't get BAH until they checked into their Primary training wing (i.e. not while in API).

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Policies change all the time, so it may be different when you get to OCS. But at one time, the policy was unmarried guys didn't get BAH until they checked into their Primary training wing (i.e. not while in API).
So do they have BOQ for students at API? It'd make sense for them not to pay BAH if they also offer housing, especially since it's only six weeks long: it'd be annoying to rent a place if you're only there for a month and a half.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So do they have BOQ for students at API? It'd make sense for them not to pay BAH if they also offer housing, especially since it's only six weeks long: it'd be annoying to rent a place if you're only there for a month and a half.

API is only 6 weeks,but you're in a pool for a lot longer before you class up, not to mention the nfos are there for about a year at least. My time from check in to API completion was 5.5 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
API is only 6 weeks,but you're in a pool for a lot longer before you class up, not to mention the nfos are there for about a year at least. My time from check in to API completion was 5.5 months.
Oh really? I haven't heard of that part before. So then were you waiting in P'cola the whole time? And if so, do they still let you stay in BOQ during that time?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I'll defer to guys like E6B or the current Primary guys, but I have a feeling that may have been a verbal hug. Was that the Coastie? If so, that guy is solid.
If there is a minimum NSS, nobody has ever told me about it. We definitely don't see many low NSS players in TACAMO, but I have always just thought that was because there are so few slots and no shortage of people who want them.
The lowest NSS I have personally seen select E-6s was in the 40’s, so below average, but not horrible. I would say the average is in the 50’s.
That isn't to say that we don't have our share of quality spread. Some people just struggle a little longer before the lightbulb comes on. Very few attrite once they are winged.
If it was the CO in 09, he was a LAMPS guy. No comment.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh really? I haven't heard of that part before. So then were you waiting in P'cola the whole time? And if so, do they still let you stay in BOQ during that time?

You can stay in the q, but I and probably 99% of people would not recommend. Go get an apartment or place at the beach with your buddies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mark Hamilton

Pro-rec NFO
I know this may be off a little from the technical questions but the thread is titled stupid questions about naval aviation. I was picked up in the dec boards for NFO and my recruiter says ill probably go to ocs feb 17.

Im pretty into triathlons and was curious as to whether or not any one in the naval aviation community does triathlons or is the work load too much and there isnt time for that kind of thing? If thats the case I dont mind not being able to compete. If it seems pretty unlikely ill be able to do them at all over the next 5-8 years I may try to sell off some of my bikes before I go to OCS.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There are lots of guys into triathlons. Two in my last squadron alone.

You definitely have time to get a hobby, if you will, just not necessarily one that has required times and places to be. In other words, running, cycling, hiking, etc are easy to do, because you can practice whenever you get a chance. Team sports with practices and such are a lot harder to do well.

That said, if you have dreams of being nationally competitive or something, the service is going to be a hard place to pursue it. If you just want to compete every month or two, by all means, you'll be able to go for it.