• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
With reference to my joining the National Guard all I had to do was prove I was in IRR status and write a letter to the Chief, USNR, requesting that I be allowed to enlist in the Army National Guard. I received a form letter in response and signed up. Interestingly enough, I have the option (which I will not exercise because of $) of taking my reserve retirement at my commissioned rank!

I did bump into an AOCS classmate in Afghanistan who took the "elderly CW2" route in the Guard, he was as happy as could be.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
Was it a tough adjustment going from O to E? I imagine it would be a little weird saluting O-1s and whatnot, at least at first.

Pags

N/A
pilot
With reference to my joining the National Guard all I had to do was prove I was in IRR status and write a letter to the Chief, USNR, requesting that I be allowed to enlist in the Army National Guard. I received a form letter in response and signed up. Interestingly enough, I have the option (which I will not exercise because of $) of taking my reserve retirement at my commissioned rank!

I did bump into an AOCS classmate in Afghanistan who took the "elderly CW2" route in the Guard, he was as happy as could be.
I remember someone on here telling a story of a former USMC Squadron CO who went on to fly for the Army as a Warrant. His Army job entailed showing up prepared to fly and keeping the Squadron fridge full of beer.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember someone on here telling a story of a former USMC Squadron CO who went on to fly for the Army as a Warrant. His Army job entailed showing up prepared to fly and keeping the Squadron fridge full of beer.

That was me. Two Guard Warrants flying C-26s in HOA, both former Marine O-5s and squadron (VMFA, I think?) skippers. Much happier being CWOs, it seemed.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
There are quite a few in Army Guard units, but I can do one better. Back in my USMC days we had a former F-4 driver who dropped from O-3 to E-6 so he could make it to retirement!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
During Desert Storm AA had a DC-10 Captain who had come up civilian flying but had been prior enlisted Army and stayed in the Guard because he loved driving M1 Abrams on his weekends. He got recalled as an E-5 or 6 and went from about $250K (in 1991) to probably, what, $40K? Ouch. He survived both the war and his financial hardship.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they became a CWO2, or a WO2 for you Army types, or above they retained their commissioned officer status and it is a lot easier to do that than transition from commissioned to enlisted.
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but they could also probably show up to their retirement ceremony wearing the highest officer grade where they served honorably in any service . . . because that'd be the grade they retired in.
During Desert Storm AA had a DC-10 Captain who had come up civilian flying but had been prior enlisted Army and stayed in the Guard because he loved driving M1 Abrams on his weekends. He got recalled as an E-5 or 6 and went from about $250K (in 1991) to probably, what, $40K? Ouch. He survived both the war and his financial hardship.
I once met a Reserve O-5 who took a $100,000/yr pay cut from senior Federal agent to regional pilot. I was told he did it to spite the wife in a divorce case . . .

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but they could also probably show up to their retirement ceremony wearing the highest officer grade where they served honorably in any service . . . because that'd be the grade they retired in.

If it was their last permanent rank and they had the required time in grade, yes. If it wasn't and they didn't, no. It can get complicated though with 'graveyard' promotions at retirement and exemptions to TIG, etc. but those are the basic rules.

It can get really messy with the Guard, where you can have a state rank and a different federally recognized one. The Georgia State Adjutant General is a Major General in the GANG but is only recognized as a Major by the USAF.

One of those interesting historical exceptions with the Navy; we had a reg after WWII where we promoted retiring officers who served in combat in WWII, a 'graveyard' promotion. That meant that if you retired as a CAPT you were pretty much automatically promoted to RADM (O-8) when you retired. Why the jump two ranks? The Navy didn't have the permanent rank of O-7 (Commodore back then) until the 70's, it was a temporary wartime rank only and not commonly used. As you can imagine this rubbed the other services the wrong way and the practice eventually ended in the late 50's.

Last edited:

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Commissioned officer to warrant? No way! Can't happen! :D

BTW, AR 670-1 and DA PAM 670-1 say that if you earn Army Aviator wings you cannot wear wings from another service. Otherwise my uniform would look more like the panel on the left of this post. The embarrassing thing is that senior and master wings are based on flight time and years of aviation service. You can join the Army with enough of both to earn master wings, but the Army only counts 3 of your aviation years of service from another service. 4 of 7 years of aviation service must be in the Army for senior wings and 12 of 15 years for master. I'm sitting at over 20 years of aviation service, but not enough in the Army for master wings.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of strang things happen. Kinda cool hearing the stories. Had a guy in my reserve TACRON who was a Army Aviator, got out and affiliated with the Guard. With no flying gig close by he qualed as a cannon cocker. Did the IST to USNR with a current artillery MOS, but came over a 1310. Wore Navy wings and never flew a Navy plane in his life.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That was me. Two Guard Warrants flying C-26s in HOA, both former Marine O-5s and squadron (VMFA, I think?) skippers. Much happier being CWOs, it seemed.

The member here who was in the 160th (I forget his name) also mentioned a former Marine Major who IST'd to the Army and was flying for the 160th as a CWO2/3, his unit ground job was stocking the unit mess with sodas and apparently couldn't have been happier.

There are quite a few in Army Guard units, but I can do one better. Back in my USMC days we had a former F-4 driver who dropped from O-3 to E-6 so he could make it to retirement!

I knew of a Navy O-4 that did 3 years in the Guard as an E-5 to get good years for retirement. Given the return at the end it is pretty smart move.

I once met a Reserve O-5 who took a $100,000/yr pay cut from senior Federal agent to regional pilot. I was told he did it to spite the wife in a divorce case . . .

You hear about that in the reserves from time to time, guys who leave active duty and go to the reserves to delay their retirement pay to screw over their ex's. "She gets 40% of my retirement?!! Well I'll make her wait an extra 20 years for it!" Not sure I would do that but to each their own.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You hear about that in the reserves from time to time, guys who leave active duty and go to the reserves to delay their retirement pay to screw over their ex's. "She gets 40% of my retirement?!! Well I'll make her wait an extra 20 years for it!" Not sure I would do that but to each their own.

SPITING FACE
*1. Nose...CUT OFF (ALL)