• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Next time (but hopefully, for your sake, there is no next time) get the Bunker Buster. You'll go from being a single-piloted aircraft to being a zero-piloted aircraft in a matter of minutes.

Next time stop by my office on the way. It's hard working 100m from the Assburner.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The iPhone has a maximum operating altitude of 10,000 ft (not joking) so I wouldn't put it in the unpressurized storage compartment. I always keep mine in the g-suit pocket and have yet to have an issue with it

Seriously? I've used mine at the top of Mt. Whitney (14,500) with no problems so maybe my warranty is void. I've never had a problem with g trashing my phone either. I wonder if it was the cold temps that did it?

I use the inside pocket on my survival vest for my iPhone and wallet. I've heard too many rumors about the G-suit pockets getting ripped away on ejection, and the chest flight-suit pocket will drown my phone on a hot day. As for a cover, I'll put one in my helmet bag on cross-countries or detachments (not counting the Boat.) If I pull the handle I don't care about my cover any more.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Where would one find a BuNo on a cut up -60? No tail section and interior has been striped.

I went diving at Lake Rawlings, VA this weekend for work and they have a submerged -60 as an attraction. They call it "Blackhawk Down" but it looks like a Navy -60, or at least that's what I am guessing based on the grey paint. The interior has been stripped except for a few things. Still had the PCL and the sockets for the cyclic.

I looked all over but could not find it easily, there is a decent amount of algae on the outside. I thought y'all would find this interesting if anybody here had time in her. I expect to be back sometime within the next few months and will look closer if anybody has a good idea where to look.

R1-02114-008A.jpg
R1-02114-007A.jpg
R1-02114-005A.jpg
R1-02114-006A.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It looks like it might be a -60H. With the three "holes" aft of the cockpit door (interconnecting box and two windows) along with the AAR-47 just aft of the cockpit door (in your second pic), evidence points to a Hotel. The Blackhawks (and Knighthawk) have two main cabin doors, which I'm not seeing there.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Helicopters are loud, full of people, and are supposed to fly in the air. It would give me the creeps to see one sitting quietly empty underwater.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Concur with Gator. It also has a Navy hoist over the cabin door, ruling out the Army. The USCG doesn't have the Laser Threat Detectors, so it rules out a USCG helo.
I haven't heard of an HH being sunk as a reef, but it looks like it's been stripped clean, so it obviously isn't a crash site.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I haven't heard of an HH being sunk as a reef, but it looks like it's been stripped clean, so it obviously isn't a crash site.

Rawlings is a SCUBA park run by rednecks who seem to have a knack for "acquiring" derelict vehicles and sinking them in their park. There are numerous boats (including the sailboat from The Replacements), cars, buses, vending machines, and about 50,000 old CDs down there. It wouldn't surprise me if this hulk was bought at a government surplus auction for peanuts. . .conversely, it wouldn't surprise me if it had been left too close to an unlocked gate at a depot somewhere and walked off.

I once helped the owners sink an old school bus in the lake. The plan was to float it out a few hundred yards and sink it in a pre-planned spot, but nobody really did the math for how much a school bus weighed, so it just sunk as soon as we rolled it off the dock. The lift bags broke free at about 50 feet and shot up to the surface like a submarine emergency blow and rained down on the onlookers on the beach like a balloon drop at the end of a gameshow.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Rednecks and their antics bring me so much joy and happiness.

Luckily for me, I live in North Florida, and I'm about to move to Pensacola, the nexus of the Redneck universe.

BTW, how'd those orders to VT-10 end up working themselves out, prop?

phrogpilot73

conversely, it wouldn't surprise me if it had been left too close to an unlocked gate at a depot somewhere and walked off.
Something tells me they acquired it through legit means - this is a picture from their photo gallery...

bh6_zpsa8e1fc2f.jpg