• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
How does one become an aviation detailer, and where does that fit into the overall career progression as far as timing and on/off path? Are most of these guys HR lat-transfers or is it's some kind of shore/disassociated tour?
Post Department Head aviation shore tour. It's about as "on track" as a senior O-4 can be for command (essentially guaranteed to make operational XO/CO).

cfam

A pilot is a pilot. An NFO is something else.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Post Department Head aviation shore tour. It's about as "on track" as a senior O-4 can be for command (essentially guaranteed to make operational XO/CO).
That’s definitely the case for VFA/VAQ (maybe also VAW?) but I seem to remember helo guys/gals doing it earlier in their career. I worked with a helo O-3 to get my orders for this tour (she was a detailer but also had a side job of working education placement). Any helo folks care to chime in?

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
That’s definitely the case for VFA/VAQ (maybe also VAW?) but I seem to remember helo guys/gals doing it earlier in their career. I worked with a helo O-3 to get my orders for this tour (she was a detailer but also had a side job of working education placement). Any helo folks care to chime in?
The FRS send their anointed ones there to manage their peers’ disassociated orders while writing themselves full time grad school orders before DH.

hdr777

Anyone know where the '99' radio call for everyone comes from? Talking to my dad it was a thing in the 70's, but he didn't know where it started. Was it just a thing that someone did and it spread or does it have another meaning?