• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I think Pax in pre-NAVAIR HQ days used to have some sort of “remote” stamp. A peer of mine was a navy brat and was born on NAS Pax. Not in Leonardtown though like my kids mind you, but on Pax. Apparently the Base Clinic used to be a no-kidding base hospital with delivery rooms and what not.

My son was born in the base hospital at Pax in '91. They received their first ultrasound machine a few months before he was born. Prior to that the closest machine was at Bethesda.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, there is a high level of arsenic in the ground water out there, plus pesticide runoff. There’s also evidently a JP fuel pipeline that runs through town out to NAS as well. Anyway, there was a cancer cluster about 20 years ago and all of the above were suspected as the cause, and the treatment plant was part of the settlement. I remember my first air wing trip out there in ‘04 or so seeing these notices all over the BOQ that the tap water was totally fine to drink now.
Except that the hard water still tastes like shit. Dunno why anyone would drink it for that reason alone, but I’m forever spoiled by PNW tap water.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Is that an euphemism for beer?
Minor threadjack...
Is it “a euphemism” or “an euphemism”?
Reading “an euphemism” out loud sounds weird.

I think the “y” sound at the beginning let’s you use an “a”. Kind of like “a yellow lab”

Sorry, way off topic, back to your carcinogen discussion.

Judge Q

Judging You
Minor threadjack...

I think the “y” sound at the beginning let’s you use an “a”. Kind of like “a yellow lab”

I say "a euphemism" because I'm from real America where the tap water causes cancer and whether you use "an" is based on the sound not the letter.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I say "a euphemism" because I'm from real America where the tap water causes cancer and whether you use "an" is based on the sound not the letter.

I always found it interesting/amusing listening to my Royal Navy and RAF instructors at 120, and whether we were flying in “an ‘Awkeye” or “a Hawkeye” depending on how posh they were.

Judge Q

Judging You
I always found it interesting/amusing listening to my Royal Navy and RAF instructors at 120, and whether we were flying in “an ‘Awkeye” or “a Hawkeye” depending on how posh they were.

Bringing us back around to stupid questions, I was under the impression the Brits didn't fly the Hawkeye, briefly considered it and decided not to go with it. But there were RAF and RN instructors in 120 for a platform their service didn't fly?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Minor threadjack...

I actually went back and forth on typing "a" or "an".

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m not as violent as @squeeze, so I don’t need to build an Internet face-stabbing machine (or was it a face-punching machine? Whatevs . . . ).

But I would like to build one that remotely slaps people in the face every time they say or write “an historic.”

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bringing us back around to stupid questions, I was under the impression the Brits didn't fly the Hawkeye, briefly considered it and decided not to go with it. But there were RAF and RN instructors in 120 for a platform their service didn't fly?

They don’t; the RN flies the Sea King SKASAC and the RAF has AWACS and the Sentinel R1. But absent some variations of style, NATO intercept controllers all do it the same way, so we exchange some AIC instructors. We also had RAAF Wedgetail, RCAF AWACS and French Hawkeye guys.

Lesh

pilot
(1) How much room for error is there to properly align the launch bar for the catapult shuttle, and (2) if alignment gets all jacked up, is there a taxi of shame around to the back of the line or do flight deck personnel gotta push you back?