• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STUPID questions about life as a Naval Flight Officer (NFO)

ip568

None
It's a good life

As a retired P-3 PPMC, I still say the best part of P-3s was the navigation. I joined my first squadron in December and five weeks later I was navigating my P-3A from NAS Whidbey to MCAS Iwakuni, Japan. We had only one NFO per crew, so the NFO was both Nav and Tacco. I LOVED long range navigation, probably because it was so challenging. None of the nav gear worked except the sextant, the drift meter, and somethimes the APN-153 Doppler/Nav. From one side of the Pacific to the other using just the sextant and DR Nav and hitting the ADIZ right on the money. That was a real hoot. By the time I retired in the P-3B TACNAVMOD, nav had become basically watching the automatic systems do it all by themselves and logging a position every 30 minutes from Omega, XN, and DA plots.

Being TACCO could also be fun but it was often a 3 hr preflight for an eleven hour mission at 20,000 feet at night dropping 32 sonobouys in a passive pattern and waiting for Ivan to run into one of them before you broke your neck with the "nods" so there was something to do. There were zero overland missions like today's guys do. When we were tracking someone it was great fun, right down to passive (simulated) attacks on Russian subs who never knew we were there.

The traveling is great and we went places and did things that sand crabs can only dream (or lie) about. And we got to take our own plane. Hawaii, Guam, Midway, Okinawa, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam (lots of Vietnam), Taiwan, Hong Kong, Portugal, Spain, England, Holland, the Azores, the Canaries... the list goes on and on and every one is a fond memory (except the Canaries -- got food poisoning from a beach pizza -- Europeans do not refrigerate their cold cuts -- BEWARE).

Mt tacair flights in training (T-1A Seastar) were fun but I didn't that much like being strapped in wearing all that jet gear crap for several hours at a time listening to the other guy breath over the open mic. My first choise was VAH -- heavy attack (A-3s or A-5s). Got my second choice -- Nav School, and out of that VP. Was the best break I ever had.

Hope this helps.

ip568

None
p.s.

I'm impressed that the Navy would consider someone with 24 years in for NFO training. One of the new Warrant Officer flying slots?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMC1775, are you asking the question for yourself, a friend, or for general knowledge(s)? Just curious.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USMC1775 said:
What is your day like, mission like, deployments, traing and general life style?
Well, as I've alluded to in other posts, the P-3 bubbas I run into tend to wear brown shoes with the black jacket. I think this says enough of their lifestyle. And some even wear black shoes with the leather jacket :eek:

fudog50

The most blasphemous uniform violators are the P-3 ground pounders. It is fun to stand by the Burger King in Misawa, and watch them waliking to the hangar from the barracks with thier own variety and total abuse of the uniform. Where are the Chiefs? Of course this is talking about circa 1986. (misawa was a det site, with MMF C providing I level support in vans, and Kadena was the deployment site with a full blown AIMD right behind the hangar). I deployed to misawa 4 times, 86, 87, 94, 97. Back to the point, I am trying to get my son who is a junior at a florida university to go OCS and become an NFO, hopefully start out P-3's then MMA. I really think MMA is incredible. I believe being an NFO on MMA will be a cross between SEVAL (EP-3) and TACCO (P-3). From 16 years VP groundpounder experience, P-3 NFO is the way to go, of course the grass is always greener on the other side?
IP568 did a great job explaining about the det sites, remember you go there with 22 souls, vice 6200 in a CVBG. I been everywhere with the P-3's he mentioned as beartrap tech and ISAR tech, from 1986-2000. (he neglected to mention PI, but I did 4 years there from 82-86, as a foodog). I also have been to most of those places with a Carrier BG and it is not even close to being as cool, way too many sailors! (Oh by the way in the cold war if you mentioned the word "beartrap" it was a very serious OPSEC violation, and a beadwindow would slap you in a hurry!) Again, all SWO and tailhook ego's aside, P-3 NFO is the way to go. (I did make a very hard transition in 2000, from P-3's to Prowlers, and Chief to the darkside). I have done 2 training tours (NAMTRA P-3 IFT/WST at Moffett, and AT 'A' School as a Chief in Pensacola). And one Acquisition tour with PMA-290E in China Lake, actually PEO 'A' it would take me more than 4 pages here to explain about EP-3 JMOD and ACS and now the IM3 job on a carrier. That being said, I would go back to P-3's in a second, you see I can speak from a lot of sides on the fence. There was more job satisfaction, esprit de corps and comraderie than any othe job I've had.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
fudog_50 said:
Oh by the way in the cold war if you mentioned the word "beartrap" it was a very serious OPSEC violation, and a beadwindow would slap you in a hurry.
Ahh, Beartrap! I haven't heard that in a long time. I did 2x KEF deployments at the end of the CW, so those guys came through often - interesting concept, probably still verboten to talk about in detail. Along those lines, we had some special experimental "ice buoys" up in Kef that would get some crazy MDRs, but I digress. ;)

Brett

ip568

None
yes, I forgot

Back to the point, I am trying to get my son who is a junior at a florida university to go OCS and become an NFO, hopefully start out P-3's then MMA. I really think MMA is incredible. I believe being an NFO on MMA will be a cross between SEVAL (EP-3) and TACCO (P-3). From 16 years VP groundpounder experience, P-3 NFO is the way to go, of course the grass is always greener on the other side?
IP568 did a great job explaining about the det sites, remember you go there with 22 souls, vice 6200 in a CVBG. I been everywhere with the P-3's he mentioned as beartrap tech and ISAR tech, from 1986-2000. (he neglected to mention PI, but I did 4 years there from 82-86, as a foodog). I also have been to most of those places with a Carrier BG and it is not even close to being as cool, way too many sailors!

Yes, I forgot the PI (deployed to NAS Sangley; they closed it mid-deployment so we went across the bay to NAS Cubi). Spend a month in the PI and you will REALLY appreciate living in the US.

Re: the P-8: don't count on it. This is just my opinion after 28 years in the Navy active and reserves plus a lot of experience as a reporter, but I don't expect any meaningful number of P-8s to be built -- maybe 50; enough for four active squadrons plus VP-30. Probably less. They are expensive -- highly modified Boeing 737-800s with all that tactical gear. There will be no money for them unless the war on terror ends tomorrow. As for the BAMS UCAV that is supposed to augment the P-8, same prediction. No money. Expect a far less impressive UAV to be used on a case by case basis. I fear that maritime patrol aviation is going to wither and die a slow death from financial starvation. The P-8 is funded only for the first five or six to be delivered in 2013.

USMC1775

Wow, lots of info. I did three WestPacs to PI and enjoyed every minute of it. (OV-10's). I sure miss it.

KSTEP

Beartrap / Ice Bouys

Can anyone tell me about the early Beartrap missions. Beartrap was a classified code name, but it now appears in the Navy's RDT&E budget along with a mission description. It still talks about measuring sound pressure levels. I am looking for information on the early missions against Soviet targets.

Also, looking for info on Ice Bouys or Tactical Arctic Sonobuoy, and Pony Express missions/projects.

I am retired P-3 AWC / WO2 / LDO. Writing a book on some of the now unclassified stuff we did.

Details or personal stories with verifible information are needed.

Thanks Ken S

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
You should look up Gary Donoher...still in Jax.
Wing Eleven maintains all the AMPO historical books.
PM if you need some contact info.

The program name had to be published in order to get funded. Otherwise, still pretty quiet about it. I believe crews are trained for ACINT collects now anyway, not trap per se.

NinjaWarrior

anyone know what the current selection opportunities are for p-3's? I heard rumors that there will be a lot of slots in the next few months, but i've also heard the complete opposite.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
anyone know what the current selection opportunities are for p-3's? I heard rumors that there will be a lot of slots in the next few months, but i've also heard the complete opposite.

Both rumors are right.